I've had a Torch since last August. And it mostly worked well. Two days ago, it went into a reset loop that never got me to a place where I could interrupt the loop. I went to the local AT&T warranty location & the tech agreed that the problem was hardware issue, not battery (suggested by the warranty phone rep I spoke to earlier). So, they swapped it with a replacement Torch. And I thought I was all set. Until I tried moving all my info, apps, etc. to the new phone.

All my searches here & online seem to want you to log in from the old phone, change the PIN associated with your account, tell DM you're switching to a new phone & proceed switching things over. But I don't have a working previous phone to do that. And, worse, couldn't recall my login to set up email or change PIN. I think I recall which username, but the password is apparently being sent to the old PIN. And Appworld associates my account info with the old PIN, so I can't DL the app that I used for my backups. The Blackberry site isn't clear on how to fix a situation like this. So, is there someone at Blackberry who can make the appropriate changesso I can start using my new Torch?

Thanks.
    03-12-11 07:50 AM
    You should be able to contact your carrier to reset your BIS account info. I think appworld has an option to change the PIN associated with your account.
    03-12-11 10:39 AM
    It's odd because when I got a new device, it changed the PIN associated with my ID from the new device, I didn't have to do anything on the old one. When I signed in to Appworld on the new device I got a message saying something like "A different device PIN is associated with this account, do you wish to change it to this PIN?" (not the exact wording but it was along those lines), I selected yes and it worked fine. I wonder why you didn't get this option?

If you don't get any joy from your carrier I guess you could try contacting BlackBerry support? BlackBerry - Support & Services
    Last edited by GreenBerry84; 03-12-11 at 01:41 PM.
    03-12-11 01:37 PM
    It's odd because when I got a new device, it changed the PIN associated with my ID from the new device, I didn't have to do anything on the old one. When I signed in to Appworld on the new device I got a message saying something like "A different device PIN is associated with this account, do you wish to change it to this PIN?" (not the exact wording but it was along those lines), I selected yes and it worked fine. I wonder why you didn't get this option?

If you don't get any joy from your carrier I guess you could try contacting BlackBerry support? BlackBerry - Support & Services
    It seems the tech & the CS girl both didn't associate the new PIN with my BIS account. So, both email setup & appworld were arguing with me about it. Once I made sure that was correctly done, the rest worked as it should. Thanks for the input. Being my first BB, this is something I wasn't used to. In fact, my first replacement phone in 20 years with AT&T. I guess I can be forgiven not knowing this stuff. But I definitely will not forget it, if I ever have to change BBs, again.
    03-12-11 02:34 PM
    You should be able to contact your carrier to reset your BIS account info. I think appworld has an option to change the PIN associated with your account.
    Thanks for solving my problem. Apparently, the tech who gave me the phone & the CS girl I spoke to didn't think about associating the PIN with my BIS account. As soon as I made sure that was done, email setup worked & appworld asked if I wanted to use the new PIN. I still have a few non-appworld apps that I'm going to have to contact someone to get new registration info for the new PIN, but I'm on the way back to normalcy. Whatever that might be. Thanks for the help.

BTW, for any mods who see this, this subject ought to be pinned &/or included in a 101. There's lots of info around about switching phones if both are still working. But little comment about replacing a dead BB. I'm a phone geek, but from several other platforms. So, as a BB noob, verifying that the carrier had associated my new PIN with my BIS account was something I didn't know or think about. I'd imagine others might get frustrated by it if the carrier forgot to reference their new PIN.
    03-12-11 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD