Hello everybody,

I just received my first Blackberry, a 9360 Curve.

I have a Nokia N900 on a two year Vodafone plan (without a special Blackberry plan), but i decided to buy a Blackberry.

Here is my problem: I cant set up my email(btw I searched for an answer, but I couldn't find anything that helped me). When i go to Setup > email accounts, I don't get the option to setup a personal account. I want to set up a gmail account. Internet works fine btw, both wifi an 3G.

I asked a lot of people if my email will work without the special Blackberry plan, and everybody said it would work fine.

Am I missing something or is it impossible without a Blackberry plan?

If I cant get the email working I'm afraid I have to return the Blackberry. So all of your advice will be greatly appreciated.

I live in the Netherlands if this is of any importance.
    01-21-12 10:14 AM
    if you dont see personal email setup, you might not be on a BIS internet plan with your cell provider. BB phones dont work on normal data plans. i would call them first.

same thing happened to me switching from iphone.
    01-21-12 10:21 AM
    You need the BlackBerry Plan
    because you need to have BIS access to get pushed email via the BlackBerry set up,
    you need to have BIS access to use many of the BlackBerry apps.

If you call Vodaphone and tell them you've moved to a BlackBerry, they should be able to enable BIS for you.

How much data did you use on your Nokia N900 each month?
    What is your current data cap on your plan?
    01-21-12 10:22 AM
    Thanks for the reply's.

I have an unlimited data plan and I don't know how much data I use since I don't have to keep track.

Won't they charge me additional money each month for the BIS?
    01-21-12 10:35 AM
    Thanks for the reply's.

I have an unlimited data plan and I don't know how much data I use since I don't have to keep track.

Won't they charge me additional money each month for the BIS?

Maybe, Some carriers do charge more, some don't

AND if money is a concern you should look at what your average data usage has been on the Nokia, and cut it in half for the BlackBerry, you may find you are paying for unlimited when in fact you could be saving considerable money being on a smaller data plan
    01-21-12 10:53 AM
    I had a huge bargain on my data plan. I get 300 minutes, 300 text and unlimited internet for €22.

But I will give them a call.

It is just really frustrating since I spoke to a few sales people at a store and they said the push email would work fine, they said that only the Ping service wouldn't work. And I don't care for Ping.

Thanks again
    01-21-12 10:59 AM
    Yea, I got the same run around here in canada with bell. Girl said yea my plan would transfer right over from iphone to 9810 so I put in the sim and boom, nothing. Called them and found out I needed the bis activated on another plan, more cash too. but its all good now and with my 9810 having wifi hot spot now that I'm running os 7.1.0.205 is all so good

BB 9810 Tapatalk
    01-21-12 12:33 PM
    Just get a Blackberry dataplan, you will have a BIS account where you can set your Email.
    Or just use a webmail with your browsing.
    01-21-12 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD