Everyone,

Newbie here, i installed configured added user to BES 4xx and that was it. Didnt log back in for 3 months. Now the company wants me to log back in again and block all the employees from using the GPS. :|

so anyways, i have tried googling on how to block some apps from BES but really couldnt find anything good. Thought i should give it a try here as may be one of you may have encountered the same issue.

All i want to do is push the policy that no one can use GPS.
    easy to ask but probably hard to do?

thanks for your time,
    user.name
    03-14-08 08:36 PM
    What model are the BlackBerry devices in use, and do they have built-in GPS receivers?

Is there a particular GPS application they're using, or does it vary?

I'm no BES expert, but as I understand it, clients can be limited to use only "approved" applications, as set by the Administrator... I also understand that the Administrator can add and remove applications remotely (wirelessly).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-08 11:57 PM
    Why would they want to take such a great tool away. Revolt!

03-15-08 07:15 AM
    Doesn't make much sense does it
    03-15-08 08:25 AM
    That's one sick, twisted plan...
    03-15-08 12:04 PM
    all of them are using the built in GPS. They all have built in GPS recievers.

I see the BesAdmin power but if you dont know how to use it, its useless.

Well sometime you have to make these decisions when the phones are being purchased from the you, the data packages and all the calls are also being paid by the you for all the employees and when you see a bill that shows half of the users have used GPS that has increased the phone bill 3-4 times the actual cost. ouch?

i would be pissed if i am the president of the company.

Anwyays, my question was the find out if anyone of you knows? but i guess now. I think most of the people in here are users and not admins.

If any admin, reads the post and has suggestions, please feel free...

thanks everyone for their replies.
    have a good one!
    03-17-08 12:01 AM
    A far far better plan would be to re-think the data service you have purchased. That is your problem.

AT&T gives BIS users unlimited data for only $30/month, so not sure how your company can't afford to pay for unlimited data.

The idea of these devices is to promote connectivity not to limit it. If you need to be connected, then you need data.

Maybe the problem is you are not running your own BES server, and are having to pay for that? Time to get it in-house or look for a cheaper provider.

Patrick
    03-17-08 12:08 AM
    Everyone is using the same GPS app. They all have GPS recievers.

I guess when you (being the president) are the one who has paid for all the BB's, and paying for all the phone bills (data pakage and phone calls) then you would want to do the same thing seeing the bills 3-4 times the actual cost for all the users in the company.

Anyways, coming back to my question i guess no one in this site has admin skills which is alright i just have to find another site.

If any admin, by chance, looks at this post please feel free to post your answer....

I thanks everyone for their reply.
    have a good one!
    03-17-08 12:09 AM
    oops... posted it twice. sorry.

Patrick - thanks for your reply. GPS is not the connectivity when it is being used for personal use. Companies in Canada are different and have different data package rates. Goig to increase the pakage is not an answer i am looking for.

We are running our own inhouse BES and thats why i posted my question here.

anyways, most of you are just users and not the admins!

no worries. thanks for your reply as well.
    03-17-08 12:14 AM
    Im not a BES admin, but i have a suggestion, as i dont believe there is an actual way to block the use of the internal GPS receiver.

Can't you just block the loading of 3rd party apps with the IT policy?

Maybe its a painh, but you can delete all the BBMaps or whatever application they are using, then push the new IT policy blocking th DL of applications...

I am assuming by BELL that you are in Canada, and using an email only plan, or a limited MB plan. correct me if i'm wrong.

If you are hosting the BES, then it should be fairly simple to do, depending on the amount of BBs you have..
    03-17-08 12:36 AM
    As cjcarbone stated above, all you need to do is remove the GPS software they are all using (eg. BlackBerry Maps, Nav4All, Google Maps) and then block the downloading of "un-authorized" applications (ie. Applications you don't want them using) - as I originally stated above, an Administrator can easily add and remove applications remotely (ie. From the BES), as well as restrict whether or not users can install additional software...

Remove their any software that you don't want them to be using, then block the downloading of software completely - any software or updates they need can be pushed through from your end, on the BES.

By the way, there is a specific Administrator's forum here, where you will likely get a more suitable answer to your question - this (general) forum that you have started this thread in is primarily USERS, not Administrators... Most of the people in this particular forum have probably never even seen BES software, let alone used it (myself included)!

CrackBerry.com Forums-->BlackBerry Administrators

Don't take this the wrong way, but you across like you're getting the s*its because you haven't found the answer to your question, yet you haven't bothered to review the full lists of forums available, and post your thread in the most appropriate forum!

It would be pointless asking for Apple Mac OS X support in a Mitsubishi Lancer forum, and the same applies here...

If you ask nicely, a forum Administrator may even be able to move this thread to the Administrator's forum for you (just send one of them a private message)!

03-17-08 05:22 AM
    Why don't you post this in the administrators forum down below. Nobody here knows much about bes, we are almost all bis.
    Good luck

03-17-08 05:44 AM
    That's what I said!

03-18-08 07:01 AM
    the first thing i said was, i am a newbie here so yeah i didnt know if there is any admin section.

Thanks for all the posts and your time. i know where to find the information now.

have a good one!
    03-25-08 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD