I am really new to the blackberry. I've recently started running and I like to run outside so I was going to buy a gps watch to track my routes. However I figured I could save some money since my blackberry has built in GPS. I already have a really good heart monitor so I'd like to just use my phone for the route tracking and my watch for the heart monitor.

I've searched for apps and keep hitting a wall because I have verizon service which apparently locks down it's gps to 3rd party apps. The only one I've tried is Sanoodi. I have VZ navigator and I've tried leaving my VZNav on & starting Sanoodi to no avail. Switching my service is not an option, so can someone suggest a solution to my problem that does not involve purchasing a gps watch. I've seen a few posts on external gps, but I don't know if I need that or if there's some other solution.
    05-22-09 10:09 AM
    I was wondering myself if Verizon Navigator could do what you ask. I tried to use the follow me map function but it I couldn't get it to act as an odometer for my hike. It did tell me how fast I was walking though.

The problem with the GPS based apps for BB is that chances are the full features do not work for Verizon customers because Verizon locks out GPS execept for BB Maps and Storm users who can use Google maps. I wish Crackberry would make a disclaimer in their app store for Verizon customers who purchase GPS based apps. Otherwise, buyers should use the free trials before purchasing the apps.
    05-22-09 10:16 AM
    I was wondering myself if Verizon Navigator could do what you ask. I tried to use the follow me map function but it I couldn't get it to act as an odometer for my hike. It did tell me how fast I was walking though.
    I tried that too. You would think VZW would at least sell an application like this if they are going to cripple 3rd party apps.

But hey... I don't want to start another VZW & GPS bashing thread. There seem to be plenty on this forum for that already I just need a solution to my problem.
    05-22-09 10:22 AM
    The only solution right now with verizon is a BLUETOOTH gps puck. They are quite small maybe about the size of an "outdoor watch face" and can work with verizon BB's. But it is another thing to carry along (mine is wrist-lanyarded to my bb) and another thing to charge and you have to pair them up and sync them.

But with that, I use gps-logger - excellent and free (donation) and there are other similar solutions. I've logged hikes (steep mt trails), x-country ski trips and bike rides. Output can be saved to garmin format or google format and saved locally to the device or emailed.
    05-22-09 10:47 AM
    05-22-09 12:10 PM
    Thanks but I have my concerns that it will not work with verizon because verizon locks out gps ability for apps other than BBMaps and VZ navigator. One user in this GPSLogger thread suggested that the app did not work on his verizon phone. Since it appears that you have verizon, can you share how you were able to tap into the gps?
    05-22-09 12:56 PM
    The only solution right now with verizon is a BLUETOOTH gps puck. They are quite small maybe about the size of an "outdoor watch face" and can work with verizon BB's. But it is another thing to carry along (mine is wrist-lanyarded to my bb) and another thing to charge and you have to pair them up and sync them.

But with that, I use gps-logger - excellent and free (donation) and there are other similar solutions. I've logged hikes (steep mt trails), x-country ski trips and bike rides. Output can be saved to garmin format or google format and saved locally to the device or emailed.
    Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. So I guess I can strap the bluetooth gps to myself somewhere and carry my blackberry. It's a small inconvenience to save $100 bucks. I only need to sync it once right? Then I'm guessing the phone should find it every time I turn it on. Are there any brands you (or anyone else) would recommend?
    05-22-09 02:48 PM
    I don't know how much you will save - the bluetooth gps' range up to about $90-100.

I've got the Freedom 2000 keychain and it probably is one of the smallest. It does have a quirk - it works FINE with gps-logger and Blackstar (geocaching) but can be finicky with some other software. It has a timeout feature and looks to see a signal that it is communicating with software (google maps does not by-itself provide that signal). But googlemaps will work properly if you run, say, gps-logger in the background. It probably is also one of the pricier models.

Some folks link it to their keychain and it works fine. It comes with a harness hook.
    05-22-09 03:39 PM
    the bluetooth gps' range up to about $90-100.
    Hmmm... I was looking to save some $$, especially since I already have a $100 Nike heart monitor that would go to waste if I bought a garmin gps watch or something like that. I also am a little bitter that VZW is forcing me to buy an external gps when the phone already has one, but oh well. I already muttered that word that rhymes with puck several times when I discovered my dilemma... I will do some more research.

I did run across that GPSLogger app while I was searching. That looks like exactly what I need.... if I actually end up buying a gps puck.

Thanks for all your help F2
    05-22-09 03:58 PM
    I should have emphasized that they range UP to but there are some that are definitely cheaper and folks seem satisfied. I'm not sure where to find a gps puck discussion - maybe under accessories. But you can search amazon or ebay to get some ideas.
    05-22-09 09:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD