I have 2 phones - for 6 months, BB9900 on ATT (tower is 5 miles away) and for 2+ years iPhone4s on nearby Sprint tower. I hate my iPhone as a phone. drops calls 4 & 5 bars (dots) and the Bold is a soldier. BUT with foothills of Blue Ridge Mts and lots of trees between home office and ATT tower, I need to get another phone on Sprint (just about next door).

I can't use GSM BB on Sprint, phone has to be Sprint-branded to bring my own, and I don't know if there are any other options out there for CDMA network. OH yeah, 3G Sprint network in the country!

Will the Q10 be good phone-phone? The phone-phone quality is why I love my 9900. My experience with the 9900 is that it pulls in awesome signal, really good call quality - just a great phone, period - on 1.5 to 2 1/2 bars!

I know I can text, access emails, and browse - I don't care about Apps. I need a phone phone, especially for interviews. By August I will know if I can live with signal from ATT alone.

Advice? How do I find out what year the Q10 is? Need to avoid double-typing. I am looking at 2 online, secondhand, Sprint branded, good to great condition, clean ESN.

PS someday I'd love a Passport, but I have to wait until the trees are in full leaf before I make that leap...

THANK YOU!!!!
    04-11-15 01:29 PM
    Q10 is a great phone. Considering its quality, form factor, portability, capability, keyboard, and price, I think it can be considered the best BB10 device for somebody who doesn't mind the small screen!
    Q10Bold and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    04-11-15 06:16 PM
    I just really need a phone phone!!! It's essential to my work - everything else is more icing on the BB cake!
    Thank you!
    04-11-15 06:25 PM
    BBM me I may have a Q10 for on Sprint

Posted via CB10
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    04-11-15 06:28 PM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Q10 is a great phone and better now that OS 10.3.1 has been released for it...

Posted via CB10
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    04-11-15 06:31 PM
    @igotberryfever
    I haven't gotten into BBM - sorry!
    I sent you a message via this site.
    Last edited by PonyCrazyKid; 04-11-15 at 07:38 PM.
    04-11-15 06:57 PM
    As a phone phone it works really great.

Sure the Classic would be a notch up with the dedicated call answer button, but it's a fair bit larger and by far not as pocketable...

Reception on my Q (GSM, though) is great! :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    04-11-15 11:21 PM
    I love my Sprint Q10. Mainly I use my phone for communication and the Q is perfect. I also have no issues with its browser. I don't love it for watching videos etc as it really doesn't have the screen for it, but otherwise it's great.

I think the Q and the Bold are the only BlackBerry devices still sold on Sprint, though if you're looking at used ones I suppose that doesn't matter.

Posted via CB10
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    04-12-15 12:10 AM
    I have a Q10 that I used on AT&T until I replaced it with my Passport. The Q10 is a great phone. Great reception and sound quality, and it worked well with my bluetooth headset and in-car bluetooth.

Blackberry Passport SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.908
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    04-12-15 06:30 AM
    Thank you, all of you. I'm going to coast - major "away assignments" for the couple of months (the GSM 9900 will get a sim card on the other side of the world in May and keep me connected for that two weeks, oh happy day!) -- eventually I will replace the 4s with a Q10 on Sprint - UNLESS I find that the 9900 on the 5-mile away ATT tower still holds its call quality in July when trees are in full foliage. Then I might have to re-think whether or not to stay with Sprint. I might, just for sanity's sake - being on deadline all the time is stressful enough - that's where BB comes in - these devices are work horses!

Appreciate all of your comments and feedback. Cheers!
    04-12-15 08:06 PM
    Option C: get Tmobile and buy it unlocked from Amazon. Then you can get classic or passport. If that won't work due to service you could do VZW classic I suppose, though I'm happily on the Uncarrier bandwagon these days.

Posted via CB10
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    04-12-15 11:59 PM
    @ BriGUy18872015

What is the "Uncarrier bandwagon"?

To everyone else who weighed in on the Q10:

Thank you - I'm going to do it - as soon as I get through some more deadline dementia. I'm not worried about a small screen. I don't watch videos on my phone, and browsing is browsing, plus I have my PB and macbook -- it's all a matter of having a phone-phone that works for calls & text. I would love to be able to access my gmail on my BB but I haven't figured that one out yet... I will look at ebay - great buys there, and also have been advised to check with Sprint corporate stores to see if they have the Q10 in stock or will order it for me. I'm going for price. With any luck, someone at Sprint will be BB savvy - wishful thinking from a diehard optimist.

To recap my recent global smartphone adventures: the 9900 worked BRILLIANTLY in Kenya, once we transferred the safaricom sim card to it - I felt quited chuffed with the success of my "homework"because my friends told me how many people had arrived with phones that wouldn't owrk with the sim card... hah! not this kid!

Now that I'm almost over jet lag, I really must replace the 4s. It's a pain in the derriere and the call quality sucks. I love the PKB for my Bold, and I've been toying with the idea of getting a Passport, especially since the ATT signal seems to be okay, but it would be smart to hedge my bets and get another Sprint phone due to proximity of that tower out here in the boonies... sigh Financially, I can't do 2 new phones, especially considering the cost of the Passport.

So, thank you all for your feedback. Will report back about how I get along with Q10 - I just hope that I can get gmail on there...
    world saviour likes this.
    05-29-15 06:42 AM
    Q10 is a great phone and better now that OS 10.3.1 has been released for it...

Posted via CB10
    I've read that people are running into app compatibility and/or runtime issues with 10.3.1. Do you think 10.3 is better than 10.2? And is it still possible to add 10.2 if 10.3.1 is already on device?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-29-15 07:18 AM
    Might want to consider T-Mobile now that they are back in a relationship with BlackBerry. Wifi calling at your home, or abroad, and you don't have to change your SIM card while traveling and have unlimited but throttled data while traveling internationally.

Posted via Z30
    05-29-15 07:48 AM
    I've read that people are running into app compatibility and/or runtime issues with 10.3.1. Do you think 10.3 is better than 10.2? And is it still possible to add 10.2 if 10.3.1 is already on device?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Yes, you can downgrade from 10.3.1 to 10.2. Would I recommend it? A big NO. 10.3.1 has so many more features over 10.2 that I couldn't begin to list.

Every Android app I have (not many) used to lag about 1-5 seconds on 10.2, on 10.3.1 they start right up... maybe with a short lag that's not really noticeable. I've found that Android app compatibility is far superior on 10.3.1.

My mom has a Passport with a ton of Android apps including her Fitbit and others. Before she had the Passport most of her Android apps were very laggy and hit or miss.

With the Passport, she has every app she asked for with no problems at all. This isn't totally objective though as I'm comparing 10.2 on her old Z10 to 10.3.1 on her Passport.

Anyway, If for some reason you really wanted to downgrade you can.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 05:07 PM
    I still think that the Q10 works great as a phone, and smartphone.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    05-30-15 07:35 AM
    RE T-Mobile - no service where I live. ATT - nearest tower is 5 miles away - call quality with 9900 is usually better than 4s on Sprint (tower 1/4 mile away). Re apps - secondary to good phone-phone! Recently, I bought a really nice Q10 for a very reasonable price on ebay - Sprint branded, clean IMEI. But must give myself time to upgrade my brain from 9900 to OS of the Q10 - I haven't had it that long and I "play" with it when I can, but no wifi at home... When deadlines ease up in a couple of weeks, I'll take it to wifi spots and fool with it until I'm more comfortable. Once it's activated on Sprint, It will become my daily driver, but I'm very concerned about not being able to access my gmails on it. That said, I still covet a Passport like you wouldn't believe. I'd be willing to let the Q10 sit idle, keep the 4s for gmails until it croaks and use the Passport for calls & text - ATT said I could add the PP as a second line to my 9900's go-phone plan... very tempting, but major budget considerations. RE local ATT store - the guy who helped me, he acknowledges BBs are the best phone-phones and he's itchy to get his hands on the PP, but they're only being carried in the corporate stores - the local ATT is out in the country, and I'm even further out in the boonies.

Thank you all for your feedback! Really really appreciate your input and advice!!!!
    06-14-15 04:58 PM
    @ BriGUy18872015

What is the "Uncarrier bandwagon"?

To everyone else who weighed in on the Q10:

Thank you - I'm going to do it - as soon as I get through some more deadline dementia. I'm not worried about a small screen. I don't watch videos on my phone, and browsing is browsing, plus I have my PB and macbook -- it's all a matter of having a phone-phone that works for calls & text. I would love to be able to access my gmail on my BB but I haven't figured that one out yet... I will look at ebay - great buys there, and also have been advised to check with Sprint corporate stores to see if they have the Q10 in stock or will order it for me. I'm going for price. With any luck, someone at Sprint will be BB savvy - wishful thinking from a diehard optimist.

To recap my recent global smartphone adventures: the 9900 worked BRILLIANTLY in Kenya, once we transferred the safaricom sim card to it - I felt quited chuffed with the success of my "homework"because my friends told me how many people had arrived with phones that wouldn't owrk with the sim card... hah! not this kid!

Now that I'm almost over jet lag, I really must replace the 4s. It's a pain in the derriere and the call quality sucks. I love the PKB for my Bold, and I've been toying with the idea of getting a Passport, especially since the ATT signal seems to be okay, but it would be smart to hedge my bets and get another Sprint phone due to proximity of that tower out here in the boonies... sigh Financially, I can't do 2 new phones, especially considering the cost of the Passport.

So, thank you all for your feedback. Will report back about how I get along with Q10 - I just hope that I can get gmail on there...
    I'm on Sprint with the Q10 and receive my gmail quicker than my Samsung tablet. I also have a PlayBook, and still use BlackBerry Bridge for personal use. Q10 is a beast in my opinion. Good luck with your choice.

Posted via CB10
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    06-14-15 06:19 PM
    I had a Q10 until the Passport came out. Excellent call quality, whether near the ear on on speaker. I had a slight double typing issue on it after 18 months.

After I got my Passport, I gave the Q10 to my husband. Wiped and reloaded the OS, then upgraded to 10.3.1. No more double typing. My Passport, on the other hand, has just started to double type, 6 months in.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    06-14-15 07:09 PM
    @ world saviour -
    thank you for the Q10 endorsement - I find myself fumbling to try to remember if I turned it on - without the "back" key, if I press the power button to activate an idle screen, it will turn it on if it was turned off. That alone drive me crackers! Other than that, it's got a lot to offer, but right now either I'm in dum-dum mode or I'm spoiled by the user-friendly 9900... I'm still stalling with dumping the 4s for the Q10 - because I "got" the 9900 so quickly, but right now I'm not really getting the Q10. I guess it would help if I spend some time at a wireless cafe and just play with it...
    How do you access your gmail? Does the Q10 let a person access it directly through the email function? or do I have to go through the browser for it?
    Thanks for your positive feedback on the Q10 - sooner or later, the horse gods will decide for me - like when the 4s croaks and I have to do something!
    cheers!
    06-23-15 02:15 PM