Just happening this week. When I connect to my home wifi, the wifi logo used to be white. But now it is gray and I see my 9700 is obtaining an ip address. And I can also surf the web using the bbrowser as hotspot browser. So what does that mean? Why is my wifi no longer white and gray now and I still can surf the web using hotspot browser?

ps I'm running os .330 if it helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by vincentnyc; 02-03-10 at 06:45 PM.
    02-03-10 05:46 PM
    I've had that happen to me sometimes. I think that it drops out when you are not using data services for a while. Does it do the same at public hotspots?
    02-03-10 06:26 PM
    I've had that happen to me sometimes. I think that it drops out when you are not using data services for a while. Does it do the same at public hotspots?
    I didn't have a chance to test in public hotspot yet. So not sure. What I'm curious is y am I still able to use my hotspot browser with my gray wifi connection?

02-03-10 06:34 PM
    Yeah... this happens to me as well. My WiFi is always grey not white and don't know why this occurs ANYONE know why?
    02-03-10 06:37 PM
    Sometimes when you have difficulty connecting to WiFi a battery pull will fix the problem.
    9B9, have you read the WiFi guide in the FAQ forum? It might help.

02-03-10 06:44 PM
    On occasion Vince a router will need to be cycled on and off. That would be my second suggestion.

02-03-10 06:46 PM
    Here's a link to the guide:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/

02-03-10 06:48 PM
    Here's another guide other's have found helpful.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-setup-uma-206217/

02-03-10 06:50 PM
    Already rebooted my router and did the battery pull. Same gray wifi icon. My problem isn't really a problem...more of an annoyance. I'm able to connect to my wifi just fine. It is just not showing a white logo anymore.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 02-03-10 at 07:18 PM.
    02-03-10 06:55 PM
    Yeah.. me tooo. I can use the WiFi to surf and etc... but it is always grey, as a matter in fact I have never seen it white for me =(
    02-03-10 07:10 PM
    sometimes I have a grey icon on the home screen, but when i hit the menu button and go into the app screen, it is white. Back out to the home screen and it is still grey. Strange. A battery pull fixes this for me.
    02-03-10 07:23 PM
    I'm not sure what's going on. To be sure of your connection, you can run WiFi diagnostics:
    Click Manage Connection, click WiFi Options, press the menu key, click WiFi Tools, click WiFi diagnostics. You can also do a site survey. Both will give you details about your connection and how good it is.

02-03-10 07:32 PM
    Here's a thread by synwars where he has put together all the steps you might need to get connected to your WiFi. Good luck!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/wif...ed-out-232912/

02-03-10 07:59 PM
    wait...i no longer have bis plan (on purpose, i plan to move to prepaid soon)...could that be why my wifi is gray?
    02-03-10 08:09 PM
    yup...i found my answer: "Hi,

"If you do not have a BIS plan, then this thread is not for you. White Icon means that your connection is routed through your BIS account. If you have no BIS account, you will not have a white icon."
    02-03-10 08:11 PM
    Lol, the rest of the story, . Maybe it'll help the other people.

02-03-10 09:18 PM
    I found an interesting development today. Turn off my mobile connection and left my wifi on or switch to "wifi only" under "connection preference." Got "uma" in lower case and my wifi logo is back to WHITE. Able to surf and make call just fine. Hmmmmm...interesting.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 02-11-10 at 09:12 PM.
    02-11-10 09:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD