I think it's thoroughly ridiculous that custom ringtones and notification profile exceptions don't work when my password protected device is locked. There isn't much sense in setting a custom ringtone or exception if it will just stop working when the security timeout kicks in. Thus, I've started using a workaround so emergency contacts (but not others) can reach me at night: turn off password protection, reactivate it in the morning. This isn't convenient, but I see no other option.

Here's my question. If I obtain a newer device with a newer os, will it include either of the following features: (a) a notification profile exception and custom ringtone feature THAT WORKS WHEN THE DEVICE IS LOCKED, or (b) the capability to set the security timeout for much longer than an hour (like all night) or shut it off altogether? Either option would solve the problem for me. Option A would be logical and most convenient, but option B would be okay, too, because it would be much more convenient than my workaround.
    09-06-10 07:34 AM
    If I obtain a newer device with a newer os, will it include either of the following features: (a) a notification profile exception and custom ringtone feature THAT WORKS WHEN THE DEVICE IS LOCKED, or (b) the capability to set the security timeout for much longer than an hour (like all night) or shut it off altogether?
    No one with a Bold can check this for me?
    09-06-10 10:39 PM
    On my Tour, the Contact Alerts work when the password lock in enabled and the device is locked.
    09-07-10 05:52 AM
    On my Tour, the Contact Alerts work when the password lock in enabled and the device is locked.
    Thanks, MM.
    09-07-10 05:54 AM
    All my custom tones work on my 9700 when my phone is password locked as well
    09-07-10 08:31 AM
    All my custom tones work on my 9700 when my phone is password locked as well
    That itself seems reason enough for me to upgrade to the Bold.
    09-07-10 08:35 AM
    What OS do you have installed?
    09-07-10 08:40 AM
    What OS do you have installed?
    I'm running 4.5.0.186. I think it's the newest I can have on my Curve.
    09-07-10 09:28 AM
    ***UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***

I've done some further testing, and here's what I've found:

When the device is p/w protected, notification profile exceptions and custom ringtones WILL WORK, but ONLY IF THE ADDRESS BOOK IS NOT INCLUDED IN CONTENT PROTECTION.

Therefore, here's what I'll do for now. At night, I'll change the setting so the address book is accessible while the phone is locked. That way my "important calls" exception will work, and my phone will ring if my emergency contacts need to reach me, but it won't ring if anyone else calls. In the morning, I'll content protect the address book when I leave home for the day. That way, if I let someone make an outgoing call (I do allow outgoing calls when the phone is locked), the caller won't have access to my address book. Also, if I misplace the phone (it WILL be locked if that happens), the finder will not have access to my contacts.

Though not exactly convenient, this workaround will be less inconvenient than enabling/disabling the password protection feature every night and every morning. It's only the one setting (address book) that needs to be changed and not the several like when enabling and disabling the password as I also encrypt media files on the media card and those have to be set, too, when enabling and disabling the password.

I can live with this for now. I checked out the Bold at my carrier's store today. It's a beautiful device, and I was tempted to get it, but even with all my upgrade allowances ($150 discount + $100 mail-in rebate), the Bold would still cost me $200 out-of-pocket. I don't see the need to buy a new phone when I'm generally happy with my Curve.
    Last edited by T�nis; 09-08-10 at 04:07 PM.
    09-08-10 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD