View Poll Results: Do you use your phone in the bathroom?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

7 14.58%
  • Once or twice

3 6.25%
  • Sometimes

21 43.75%
  • All of the time

17 35.42%
    The keyboard on my Q10 is faulty, so I have a replacement coming in a few days. I specifically asked for a new phone instead of a refurb since I'm hoping that a newer phone might not have the same problem my current phone has.

Having said that, I thought about it and realized that there's another reason I would like a new phone instead of a refurb. Aside from the fact that the testing that the refurb goes through might not catch the reason for it's original return, I was horrified to realize the following:

More people than you'd think bring their phones into the bathroom. I've never read anything about disinfecting being a part of the refurb process. I've read many stats about this in the past, but wanted to get a feel for where the CrackBerry community stands on this so I'm creating a poll. Please be honest in your voting.
    kbz1960 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    04-17-14 12:59 PM
    Lol. I can see how people using their phones in the bathroom is a disgusting thought. But then again, a lot of people who may not do it don't wash their hands either.

You're welcome.

--

On a more serious note, a refurb doesn't necessarily have to be from an older stock (though I guess it's more likely) and a new phone isn't necessarily from a newer stock either (especially if it's not selling wel...ahem.)
    04-17-14 01:03 PM
    People are nasty. Saw a guy at a urinal in a store bathroom eating an ice cream cone.

I get your point. Yeah.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    04-17-14 01:09 PM
    Since you put it that way.
    louzer likes this.
    04-17-14 01:10 PM
    But as long as it was never dunked I'd give it a good alcohol wipe down and roll with it.

But you can't know if it was dunked can you? I mean usually that kills it. But maybe someone dried it out in rice and got it working? Yuck.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    kbz1960 and louzer like this.
    04-17-14 01:12 PM
    I use mine in the Bathroom, If I'm taking a shower and no one is sleeping I play music, putting it on the windowsill is the first thing I do, and picking it back up is the last (when I'm clean).
    04-17-14 01:29 PM
    Oh. Well. You know that's one of those things I think about but generally don't try to dwell on...

People touch some massive nastiness and then their phones, bathroom included.

�Sent from space using Tapatalk.�
    04-17-14 01:43 PM
    They got a billion dollars worth of unsold inventory and want to pawn off a refurbished toilet phone?
    If I buy a new one and there is a defect, they should replace it with a new one....or give you a refurbished one and give you half your money back.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    04-17-14 01:44 PM
    They got a billion dollars worth of unsold inventory and want to pawn off a refurbished toilet phone?
    If I buy a new one and there is a defect, they should replace it with a new one....or give you a refurbished one and give you half your money back.
    That's two different theys you're referring to.

First: BlackBerry
    Second: Sprint (although you may have been thinking BlackBerry.)

BlackBerry does not give phones away to carriers for free. OP would have bought his from his carrier, Sprint.

And the billion in unsold inventory, I believe, is the Z10. Not the Q10. I could be wrong though.
    stlabrat likes this.
    04-17-14 02:05 PM
    That's two different theys you're referring to.

First: BlackBerry
    Second: Sprint (although you may have been thinking BlackBerry.)

BlackBerry does not give phones away to carriers for free. OP would have bought his from his carrier, Sprint.

And the billion in unsold inventory, I believe, is the Z10. Not the Q10. I could be wrong though.
    And that was months ago... I assume that by now the have sold most of the inventory. But yes carrier are going to have some returns that I think they have to eat. So they usually have those re-manufactured (in some cases just re-boxed) and used as replacements for warranty and insurance replacements. I'm sure for the warranty issues they get reimbursed (or they tell you to contact BlackBerry).
    04-17-14 02:19 PM
    I use mine in the Bathroom, If I'm taking a shower and no one is sleeping I play music, putting it on the windowsill is the first thing I do, and picking it back up is the last (when I'm clean).
    Be careful not to shower with hot water.
    04-17-14 02:21 PM
    Ok, now you grossed me out. Never even thought of that. Go with the alcohol wipe and take good care of your immune system.

The main problem for me was paying $600 for my Z10 outright, it toasted completely, then getting a refurb. A piece of junk with numerous problems like the PHONE not ringing! Yah. And I paid a boatload of money to Best Buy for the total protection package for why? sigh. Oh, well. One of those things you just have to let go. I honestly probably won't pay for a phone outright again, or at least until it has been out long enough for the price to drop. And the truth is, if instant gratification wasn't so important to me I could have waited.
    04-17-14 03:06 PM
    One of the reasons I never pay phone insurance. You are not getting a new replacement. I've seen plenty of friends drop and break phones only to get a faulty replacement. And the carrier gives the runaround if one returns and asks to swap the replacement because of a defect which does not impact use -- but is nonetheless a problem.

Not to mention the problems unknown as in this thread.
    04-17-14 03:53 PM
    A bunch of germaphobes. So what? Most people's hygiene is better than you think I bet. Just because you're nasty doesn't mean everyone else is. Hahahaha Sorry. Ahahahaha
    04-17-14 04:51 PM
    Interesting take on the concept. And I got a good laugh out of it because it's an interesting take worthy of the humor. =D

I'm in the camp that not only doesn't mind a refurb device, but am also very happy with the concept. I have zero issues with refurbs. Refurb devices are individually tested rather than relying on samples of batches testing. They're not just recycled devices that had their casings buffed out to hide physical defects. They're typically devices built from proven reliable internal parts in new casings and receive individual QA checks superior to the batch samples.

More often than not, unless a customer is specifically told that their device is a refurb, a sticker gives it away, or the packaging (plain brown box) gives a clue, then the end user would never know. Otherwise they'd be perfectly happy with the device. Frowning on refurbs is psychosomatic.

I'd even go as far to say that if I were unlucky enough to receive a defective device, I'd probably request a refurb.

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
    04-17-14 05:21 PM
    15 votes in, and not a single one in favor of either "Never" or "Once or twice." Very honest voters, but I hope I never have to borrow y'alls phones even in emergencies. "Could you dial 911 and put it on speaker phone, please?"
    04-17-14 05:26 PM
    well I would clean mine anyway...however if you start thinking this way then you are going to become paranoid about a host of other things...
    04-17-14 05:50 PM
    People are nasty. Saw a guy at a urinal in a store bathroom eating an ice cream cone.

I get your point. Yeah.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    I imagined seeing this myself and laughed so hard
    04-17-14 06:06 PM
    How do you know the people in the new device factory washed their hands after their last bathroom break? What about the delivery people that handled the box en route? How clean was the insides of the delivery truck? Were they using the truck last week to haul recyclables? Somebody touched the CD and paperwork inside the box. The charging cable was probably wrapped and bagged by hand. Whose hand? At what point should we stop worrying? Do we really know how clean the factory is that makes the disinfectant wipes?

Just spray some Febreze on it and you should be fine. It fixes everything...
    04-17-14 06:24 PM
    If you got to pee, what are you supposed to do with the ice cream cone? I definitely wouldn't put it down in the bathroom.
    04-17-14 06:28 PM
    It is even worse doing IT support for users phones. I can almost guarantee they've used them in the bathroom and there's been NO cleaning or refurbishing even. I try to use a tissue or napkin when they hand them over. I'm going through a box of old phones for wiping and can only imagine what's been on these. I've been tossing them in a ziplock bag as a shield...
    04-17-14 06:29 PM
    If you got to pee, what are you supposed to do with the ice cream cone? I definitely wouldn't put it down in the bathroom.
    I'd throw it away, do my business, and get another one.
    04-17-14 06:32 PM
    A bunch of germaphobes. So what? Most people's hygiene is better than you think I bet. Just because you're nasty doesn't mean everyone else is. Hahahaha Sorry. Ahahahaha
    I would have to completely and vehemently disagree with you. People are dirty and most lack decent manners. We wouldn't have half the illness problems in the world if people would improve their personal cleanliness and hygiene. Nasty people are the ones that don't notice. I see what they do and it is disgusting. The majority of people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom and that's just the tip of the iceberg...
    04-17-14 06:33 PM
    The hygiene issue aside, I see the refurbished device from the manufacturer to be far more reliable as someone posted, once refurbished they pay particular individual attention to the device, sometimes refurbished isn't a bad word.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 04-17-14 at 10:00 PM.
    04-17-14 08:32 PM
    How do you know the people in the new device factory washed their hands after their last bathroom break? What about the delivery people that handled the box en route? How clean was the insides of the delivery truck? Were they using the truck last week to haul recyclables? Somebody touched the CD and paperwork inside the box. The charging cable was probably wrapped and bagged by hand. Whose hand? At what point should we stop worrying? Do we really know how clean the factory is that makes the disinfectant wipes?

Just spray some Febreze on it and you should be fine. It fixes everything...
    Or who is making your pizza?
    TheScionicMan and kbz1960 like this.
    04-17-14 09:53 PM
45 12