About a month ago I got a Q5 on the cheap as I wanted to test drive the new BB 10.3 os. I loved it! And I really loved BB Blend, I couldn't believe how more people weren't talking about it. Then I noticed I started to have an issue with the Q5 where the storage didn't add up. I spent hours looking on the internet for a solution, but it seemed like though there were a decent number of people with this issue, there was no fix.

Oh well I thought, it's an old phone and I love the BB os and Blend, and I just bought the phone as a cheap way to test drive the new BB. Now I'll upgrade. So I bought a brand new Z30 straight from BB during the summer sale. As soon as I start it up and try to transfer files from Blend I get an error message "you need file permission access to transfer" WTF?

Again I search the internet for a solution, someone reported this issue on this forum, but wasn't given a solution. So I decide to call BB support, I explain the issue to the guy and keeps saying: "You mean link right? You can't transfer files through Blend". Wow, the guy at BB tech support doesn't know you can transfer files though Blend. Needless to say after an hour and a half he determined there was just no way to fix it. And the worst part is now it doesn't work on my Q5 either!

Well, I guess I can still transfer files through link I thought, I'll just tough it out. Then I looked at the phone's storage... IT HAS THE SAME ISSUE AS MY Q5! Storage doesn't add up, about 2gb unaccounted for. I do a sic wipe, I reload the os with an autoloader, I do the volume key reset thing... nothing.

The blend still doesn't work, and the storage still isn't fixed. I'm done. Sent the Z30 back for a refund and still have the Q5 but will probably ditch it soon for an android/iphone. I feel like an ***** too because I've been telling everyone how great BB is now. It's sad that a company took someone who was like a walking billboard for them into a disgruntled customer. The thing with tech, and this is why iphone succeeds, is it just has to work. And if it doesn't, you need customer support who can fix it.

The BB os is great, Blend is amazing, but it's let down by technical issues and the support framework of the company. Goodbye BB, I hardly knew ye.
    09-06-15 12:59 PM
    ...I hardly knew ye.
    Yeah...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    09-06-15 01:03 PM
    Bye Bye...
    09-06-15 01:20 PM
    Take care. See you on Android Central....

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-06-15 01:22 PM
    The other thing I have to comment on is the BB "community", this thread is a great example. It seems to be populated with BB fanboys who are unwilling to admit any flaws in BB. I laid out all my issues with my device, and the response was basically, to imply it's my fault.

My issues are certainly not isolated, and they haven't happened from user error. They are issues with the device/os, that BB's own tech support has no idea how to fix.

So refute/debate anything I have posted, but to just imply that BB is perfect and that this is somehow my fault is ridiculous.
    09-06-15 01:36 PM
    The other thing I have to comment on is the BB "community", this thread is a great example. It seems to be populated with BB fanboys who are unwilling to admit any flaws in BB. I laid out all my issues with my device, and the response was basically, to imply it's my fault.

My issues are certainly not isolated, and they haven't happened from user error. They are issues with the device/os, that BB's own tech support has no idea how to fix.

So refute/debate anything I have posted, but to just imply that BB is perfect and that this is somehow my fault is ridiculous.
    OP, sorry to hear you're having issues. You're right, there are fan boys here, but in fairness, they're everywhere. Some BlackBerry users are maybe a bit more defensive as we've been dealing with some Android / iOS fan boys who constantly slag BlackBerry.

That being said, I know my wife's Q5 has a storage issue when updating the OS, so I had to use Link. My Z30 has been good in that regard. I hope someone can help find a solution.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-15 01:55 PM
    OP, sorry to hear you're having issues. You're right, there are fan boys here, but in fairness, they're everywhere. Some BlackBerry users are maybe a bit more defensive as we've been dealing with some Android / iOS fan boys who constantly slag BlackBerry.

That being said, I know my wife's Q5 has a storage issue when updating the OS, so I had to use Link. My Z30 has been good in that regard. I hope someone can help find a solution.

Posted via CB10
    First of all thanks for the kind response, it's refreshing. I actually also had the storage update issue on the Q5, but this is actually a different issue. I posted about it here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-que...my-q5-1035842/
    09-06-15 02:29 PM

At this point in time any and all complaints against BB is beating a dead horse that had been dead 100x over be that lacking ecosystem, buggy OS, poor hardware quality control, bad customer service, general directionless nature of the company, so on and so forth.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    09-06-15 02:32 PM
    Take care. See you on Android Central....

Posted via CB10
    Or iMore...
    09-06-15 02:47 PM

Didn't take you long to see through the veil of rose-colored glasses.
    09-06-15 02:48 PM

In my defense I was just pointing out that last bit and agreeing. You hardly knew it. You ran into a bug that a some people also ran into and you didn't want to deal with it. It happens to many people on all platforms. But blatantly saying that all of us have issues and problems that us blind fan boys won't admit to is essentially painting us all with the same brush. I have issues. I've fixed issues. I'm used to fixing bugs and dealing with them on all kinds of platforms. I try to help people here unless they aren't asking for help. Nobody after me said their phones are perfect and you are the issue and attacked you personally. One even says see you on Android Central. How else is he going to see you there if he isn't already there? Lol.

Be careful with Link/Blend connections since firewall, Antivirus or even router settings/capabilities can reduce performance or cause connection errors. Just saying. It's something BlackBerry tech support could never really help you with unless they go through all those avenues with you and that isn't likely. I've had issues with both where OS updates and firewall permissions have fixed them. I've also not seen this issue on the Q5s in my house so I couldn't tell you what it is just from a forum post. I would have gotten an autoloader of a stable OS build and flashed it. Twice maybe. But if you want to get something else instead of bumbling with issues then go right ahead. Just don't gripe here and expect people to sympathize.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    TiFr3d likes this.
    09-06-15 03:02 PM
    Just out of curiosity, are we talking device storage or removable storage? Because if it's device storage I've never, ever, had device storage amount to what the specs claim. Not a BlackBerry, Android, or Apple device.

Also it probably doesn't matter since you've already returned the Z but Link sucks. Actually IMO all phone desktop file managers suck, especially iTunes. When I want to add files to my BlackBerry I just plug it in and just use windows to move/copy them over. Much simpler and quicker.

Posted via CB10
    Iggy519 likes this.
    09-06-15 03:14 PM
    I dont understand the big deal here, if you dont want to fix the problem does that mean you refuse to use the phones? Do you have an sd card for your extra storage? Do the phones work fine? The Q5 is known to have a more limited space. I have both, and for what they are and even regardless for what they cost bc they sell so cheap when they are more valuable than that, they are two of the sweetest phones BlackBerry has ever made.

(well, I guess you weren't REALLY in love! But, love can be fickle ...)
    09-06-15 03:25 PM
    I moved to BlackBerry from Android because there just so many issues (buggy or lagging and others) so to run into one problem on BlackBerry does not mean OS10 is not good. Like any jobs, it is not any greener on the other side.

I remember a while back I had issues to with BlackBerry Link and Blend. I was getting passed too but then BlackBerry support through tweeter help me. It turns out it was because of my firewall. Now I have no issues what so ever. I would check your firewall settings and see. Sometimes it is not because of BlackBerry.

Wife Z10, daughter got my old Z10 and me with the awesome new World Z30. That's how we roll baby!
    09-06-15 03:29 PM

You got THAT right my friend. Don't anyone DARE point out any flaws or issues with BlackBerry! Some people are just too thick to understand that it's just a ******* phone! It's not the answer to all the questions in the universe! And, as I said in another post not too long ago, some people have the balls to call users of other brands fan boys!
    09-06-15 03:33 PM
    In my defense I was just pointing out that last bit and agreeing. You hardly knew it. You ran into a bug that a some people also ran into and you didn't want to deal with it. It happens to many people on all platforms. But blatantly saying that all of us have issues and problems that us blind fan boys won't admit to is essentially painting us all with the same brush. I have issues. I've fixed issues. I'm used to fixing bugs and dealing with them on all kinds of platforms. I try to help people here unless they aren't asking for help. Nobody after me said their phones are perfect and you are the issue and attacked you personally. One even says see you on Android Central. How else is he going to see you there if he isn't already there? Lol.

Be careful with Link/Blend connections since firewall, Antivirus or even router settings/capabilities can reduce performance or cause connection errors. Just saying. It's something BlackBerry tech support could never really help you with unless they go through all those avenues with you and that isn't likely. I've had issues with both where OS updates and firewall permissions have fixed them. I've also not seen this issue on the Q5s in my house so I couldn't tell you what it is just from a forum post. I would have gotten an autoloader of a stable OS build and flashed it. Twice maybe. But if you want to get something else instead of bumbling with issues then go right ahead. Just don't gripe here and expect people to sympathize.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Didn't want to deal with it? I've spent hours and hours on multiple days trying to fix both these issues.

I've looked at every post I could find both here and on the official BB support forum. I have so far tried:

-Sic wipe (many, many times)
    -Reload the os through an autoloader (the os and autoloader being the ones posted on the official BB support forum)
    - Volume key reset
    - CC cleaner andriod app (this was suggested as a fix in a thread with someone having the same storage issue)
    - Uninstall/re-install Blend (twice)
    - Uinstall/re-install Drivers (three times)
    - Spent almost two hours on the phone with Blackberry tech support (they determined "it just can't be fixed")

But you're right, there's nothing wrong with BB or it's support, I'm just lazy. I can't believe I said this forum is full of head in the sand fanboys, what was I thinking...
    shaleem likes this.
    09-06-15 03:34 PM

Plenty of flaws with all systems. I'm a fanboy of technology but not of any system. I own and use all four OS's daily in my life. My generation is the original tech adapt generation (I'm 45). I had snail mail then electronic mail. Windows slayed Apple, Bill Gates the original Satan, then Steve Jobs came back from the dead with this music thing. What do I do with all my cassette tapes and compact discs(that were supposed to last forever) now that I have iTunes? My first phone was an original Nokia P-30 brick phone in 1990.

The point is all of the systems have flaws. You stated that you went to Android. Millions of people beat you to it and were there first. You tried BB10 and were let down. Me too. When it first came out, I wanted to go back to BBOS7, however, I knew that progress only moves forward. I bought iPhones, Android phones and Windows Phones along with BlackBerry Q and Z phones. Appreciate technology for what it does however don't look for it to provide the meaning of life or to really solve your big problems without hurdles.

Since you bitched about going back to Android, you'll be happy to know that Venice is supposed to be Android phone so maybe you'll pick one up. Good luck and see you on Android Central or maybe iMore.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-15 03:39 PM
    CTU FAN:

Purely device storage, I don't have an SD card inserted. It's not that it isn't what the specs claim, it's that there is some sort of invisible data taking up space.

I posted about my issue here: http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-que...my-q5-1035842/ and if you google the issue many others have had it too.
    09-06-15 03:43 PM
    Like really... again... face facts... these stories happen on all platforms... my worst experience with smartphones was with Apple... does that make Apple as a company bad... no .. just me being unlucky... when I got my Iphone 6 OS upgrade... I could not get any cell service... talked to the mental giants at Apple who denied at the time the update had anything to do with it.... was without cell service for 5 days till Apple fessed up and sent out update same day.... had an Ipad which I could not use as Apple insisted I owed money for an App I paid for and downloaded... was then told the charge was declined after the sale... wanted me to pay it and submit a different credit card for my account... ended up sending back my Ipad as without being able to buy any apps... in the end Apple makes most of their customers happy.. I certainly do not through out the whole company because I have an issue...
    eddy_berry likes this.
    09-06-15 03:44 PM
    Like really... again... face facts... these stories happen on all platforms... my worst experience with smartphones was with Apple... does that make Apple as a company bad... no .. just me being unlucky... when I got my Iphone 6 OS upgrade... I could not get any cell service... talked to the mental giants at Apple who denied at the time the update had anything to do with it.... was without cell service for 5 days till Apple fessed up and sent out update same day.... had an Ipad which I could not use as Apple insisted I owed money for an App I paid for and downloaded... was then told the charge was declined after the sale... wanted me to pay it and submit a different credit card for my account... ended up sending back my Ipad as without being able to buy any apps... in the end Apple makes most of their customers happy.. I certainly do not through out the whole company because I have an issue...
    I hear what you're saying, but in terms of just being unlucky, I have the exact same issue (actually two issues) on two separate devices, purchased from two different places. That's not just being unlucky, that's an issue with Blackberry.
    09-06-15 03:51 PM
    Sorry, don't know how to help you. But I don't have storage problems with blend on my Z10, neither internal or external drive. I think you should just wait a bit to see if there is any update to blend that solves your problem. By the way, I'm using 1.2.1.74 version of blend.
    09-06-15 04:46 PM
    With regard to the missing storage: the OS and any apps you have loaded take up some of the device storage, have you taken that into account?

Posted via CB10
    09-06-15 04:58 PM
    First stop behaving like a little kid. People here are helpful and polite but how many times can we listen to the same story. Are you threatening us that you gonna leave for Android? We hear the same story few times daily here. Nobody cares. You are free to grab your toys and find new friends.

Now I've seen many silly childish reasons to return the phone but yours is one of the most memorable ones.

Before you leave I would recommend that you read a few of the reviews for your favorite Android or iPhone your apparently eyeing. Samsung Note 3 16gb gives you 8.8 usable space, iPhone 16gb gives under 12gb. I could go on and on.

You lose advertised space for many reasons. For every 1gb you lose 70mb just when you format that space. There could be system image hidden, hidden emergency partitions, memory dump files, memory page file and many more. On my z30 the used space adds up to 14gb. 2GB could be reserved for aforementioned reasons. I can't imagine returning my phone because of that and as I said there is no phone that will not trim available space. If you ran out of space SD card should have sorted you out.
    GenghisKahn2011 likes this.
    09-06-15 05:03 PM
    One advantage for Apple users are the brick and mortar shops where help us available. Back in the day BlackBerry gave me excellent service from their former Texas call centre.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-06-15 05:13 PM
    So....you got your Q5 on the cheap? I am interested in buying it on the cheap, it will complete my collection since the gf took my Q5 6 months ago. Will never see it again as she loves it!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2639
    09-06-15 05:20 PM
35 12