I have been a BlackBerry user for a few years and found the phones met my need for email on the go. My two favourite devices were the 9860 and 9790, these were perfect for me. I was interested to see what BB10 would offer so I bought a Z10 within a couple of weeks of it being launched in the UK.

My findings were as follows:

1) The device felt very cheaply made. It the back did not fit tight enough and would creek.
    2) The screen had blotches / smudges on the glass which were permanent – a quick google and I discovered this was a common fault.
    3) The screen was not very bright.
    4) The battery life was completely inadequate and would not last a working day based on my use patterns.
    5) There were no live twitter updates, only manual ones. This is an issue for me as my colleagues and peers Tweet regularly.
    6) Emails were sent with the wrong timestamp.
    7) In the morning, upon checking my emails, many new ones which were in fact unread appeared as read.
    8) The “hub” which BlackBerry hyped so much did not work – the idea is that you can select which accounts are in the hub by selecting the chekmark, but in fact, this did not work and accounts would be randomly turned on or off with no control by the user.
    9) Email notification light was unreliable and would not always work.

For me, the fact that there were so many issues with the email was beyond belief. The hub was positioned as a core feature of BB10 and it is completely unreasonable and unprofessional that they could have launched the product with it not working. The timestamp issue is also unforgivable.

These obvious faults with email / the hub are easy to spot and would take any normal company a day to resolve (I own a software testing lab).

I swapped to a Q10 when it came out and found the following:

1) The device appeared to be made of much better quality materials, however, after two weeks, the screen started to lift slightly at the top, so it was above the edge of the band that surrounds the phone. (The phone was replaced by the retailer)
    2) The battery life was good, I could get a full working 24 hours, more than a working day.
    3) Keypad was great.
    4) Even though BlackBerry had been aware of the hub issue in 10.0, the same problem existed in 10.1.
    5) The replacement device I had been given developed the same fault with the screen. I used clothes pegs to clamp the screen down each night, but within a few hours the next day, it would rise up again!

BlackBerry had pinned their future on BB10. The main reason people use a BlackBerry is for messaging / email. Given these facts, it’s unbelievable that BlackBerry would launch a product with major faults in the software which meant that the hub and email did not function properly. Either they are incompetent or they just don’t care.

When I discovered the issues remained with the 10.1 OS on the Q10, I thought it was game over for them. Their recent disclosure that they have lost subscribers and money comes as no surprise to me and the collapse in the value of the company is only to be expected.

Nobody with any real understanding of business or technology can seriously expect them to survive much longer. My prediction is that their share price will continue to fall as they lose more and more subscribers and launch products that don’t work properly.

I would suggest their share price will drop to about $4-5 by the end of the year as more bad news is revealed and that another company will buy them purely for some components of their technology – secure messaging for example. You may even find a business buys them to use the entire OS (doubt it would be BB10, but 7.X instead) and use this as an enterprise based mobile OS integrated in to another hardware manufacturers handsets – Nokia perhaps, but who knows.

I have dumped BlackBery (personally and for my business) and would never consider going back. Why would I or anyone else bother when there are other solutions out there which just work as they should.

In finishing, all I can say is I can’t see that a company could be run this badly by accident. In my opinion, there is a good chance something untoward is at play.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    07-02-13 02:11 PM
    Thank you OP for sharing your experiences and spending the time to write in detail about specific problems you noticed with the Z10, Q10 and BB10 as a whole. If only RIM would accept customer feedback and work on resolving serious customer difficulties, they would be in a much better place in terms of market share and profitability.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-02-13 02:21 PM
    Great write up OP.

I have both Z10 and the Q10, and not once have I had a single issue with either.

I guess a few hiccup devices slipped through the net.

Sucks that you had a bad experience with the new phones. I've had both of mine from day one of launch. So I crnt say that mine were made at a diff time or not.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 02:39 PM
    I dont really understand with the q10s screen lifting... how did it lift?
    07-02-13 02:45 PM
    I dont really understand with the q10s screen lifting... how did it lift?
    I don’t have any means of taking a photo at the moment, but let’s see if I can describe the issue so you can understand what happened.

If you look closely at the screen you will see it is recessed very slightly and sits about 1 mm below the top fret and the metal frame (presumably to protect it from being scratched if placed face down) – take a good look at yours and you will see what I mean, also, you can feel there is a lip / erge there with your fingers.

My first Q10 was recessed properly at the bottom of the screen where it met the top fret, but after a couple of weeks, the glass towards the top of the screen, above the earpiece hole had raised itself up so that it was actually higher than the metal frame – I could feel the sharp edge of the glass. The second Q10s screen was recessed everywhere other than the top half of the left hand side of the screen, which would slowly move up during use of the phone until it was above the level of the frame.

This could be down to a manufacturing / assembly fault, however, after having two the same, in this day and age with all the other quality offerings out there, I couldn’t justify trying a third.

In any case, these faults may be down to quality control issues during manufacturing and whilst unacceptable, are things that can happen. The fact they release a product with a known fault that results in emails having the wrong timestamp and another which means the hub does not work properly is an altogether more serious matter as it shows they are incompetent or just don’t care – and given their position and what they are supposedly trying to achieve at the moment, this is the death knell for the business.
    07-02-13 04:52 PM
    That sounds bad! I hope my Q10 will not get this problem...

They better give you a new phone again, its a expensive phone, so it shouldnt have problems like that.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 06:11 PM
    Wow! Sorry for all the problems. I had my Z10 from day one and if there was a problem with the back it was getting it off once I snapped it in all the way around. The only time I thought I had a problem with the battery was when I turned it completely off. learned not to do that and now I can go more than a day without charging. I love the Z10, wish all products that I bought were as good as the Z10. Sorry to see you go and sad to read that you got two lemons.
    07-02-13 06:35 PM
    Thanks for your feedback,OP. Hopefully BlackBerry will listen more to feedback from customers such as yourself and make the necessary improvements so that they have less customers moving to other platforms.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    07-02-13 06:38 PM
    I am disappointed and sad about the demise of RIM/BlackBerry. I have been a long time fan and supporter of BlackBerry. I've been using them since the introduction of the 950/850 and have had several models. I currently have a 9810, which has one more year left on it's contact, and even have a 64GB PlayBook. I had hoped with the acquisition of QNX their future would have been brighter but with management problems and late to market product releases, this started the downturn of BlackBerry. I believe that if BlackBerry concentrates only on the enterprise and government space, this will be the beginning of the end for them especially with the BYOD movement today. I had high hopes for BB10 and thought it would have turned things around for them. After reading ChrisBP's post and others who are having problems with their BB10 devices, I am less likely to replace my 9810 with a new BlackBerry. I am not an Apple fan, I don't like the company, so my next smartphone will probably be an Android device. It is just so sad to see BlackBerry go this way after so many years
    09-30-13 12:59 PM
    Nice post and there definitely was some major issues when it was released with 10.0.

When I bought the phone I did this with the expectations that this would be the case so when I had issues I wasn't overly concerned. I did have similar issues to yours but none that I would consider terrible or a deal break.

I might also state that having it from day one and seeing where it is today (I'm using 10.2 leak) it is remarkable. While a lot of people here like to complain about what they don't have ect. I am amazed at what they have been able to accomplish.

I throughly enjoy this OS over anything else I have tried (own Galaxy tablet and former iPhone user). If BlackBerry can make it through this rough patch and continue on I will be very pleased as I look forward to what the future updates will bring

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 01:59 PM
    Never a good idea to be a early adapter and with the OS being new we should expect a two year gestation. The hardware issues are a different matter. The phones should be replaced or repaired during the warranty period.
    09-30-13 02:41 PM