My 9700 is a company device on a company account with AT&T. The 9700 isn't working so well, and I'd love to get a 9900 but as we all know, it's not available on AT&T yet.

So I'm talking to the IT director about buying a Rogers 9900 and he tells me that I'm the last person at my company (a small firm) not using an iphone and maybe it's time to switch. I say I'd rather not. I need a keyboard, swap-able battery, advanced calendar functions, etc.

He then tells me that there will soon be a problem for me in that we use Office 365 for our email and the new version of Office 365 (which we will soon be getting) is not compatible with RIM devices due to some issue between RIM and Microsoft and it likely won't be until next year.

He said my choices for a new phone are an iphone or a Windows phone. I can wait for the iphone 5 or the new Mango Windows phones if I want to. (Our IT dept. doesn't let people get Android phones because they say Android phones are security risks.) I don't want a Windows phone so an iphone is my only choice.

Anyone know about the Office 365 thing? I haven't found much via Google. If this is a real issue, wow - RIM is already struggling and this won't help.

That would be a real kicker for me. RIM finally comes out with my dream device and I can't get it. (I know I could buy a 9900/9930 myself on another carrier and have a work phone and a personal phone, but I have no desire to have two phones. I have to have a work phone so that is what I'll use for personal stuff, too.)
    09-28-11 01:45 PM
    09-28-11 02:06 PM
    also this one, all the way at the bottom talks specific BB issues

Microsoft Office 365 FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
    09-28-11 02:08 PM
    This is going to become a common story as time goes on. Its cheaper and easier for companies. And the level of support for office is already massively larger than bes

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-11 03:26 PM
    Seems like maybe the IT guy is overstating the issue a little. Maybe he just wants me to have an iphone like everyone else.
    09-28-11 05:31 PM
    With IT depts in any company, many times it comes down to what the IT dept decides they're willing or able to support. Even if you could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt they're wrong, it won't matter. You can argue until you're blue in the face, but it ultimately comes down to what IT decides they choose to support (be it legitimate issues, personal preference, lack of training, choose not to expend resources in additional training, ignorance, etc..). I'd be inclined to assume your IT just chooses to focus on iPhone because that is what they know.

I know several people in IT who will fight tooth and nail to ensure they don't go BES because they simply can't stand it, so you won't find BB's in their company. (not debating the merits of BES, there's simply a lot of IT people who just don't like it for whatever reason... I'm not judging)
    Last edited by rmjones101; 09-28-11 at 05:48 PM.
    lssanjose likes this.
    09-28-11 05:44 PM
    BlackBerry� Business Cloud Services
    Show all answersHide all answers

Q. What are BlackBerry Business Cloud Services from RIM?
    A.

Microsoft and Research in Motion (RIM) announced in March 2011 that by the end of 2011 RIM will provide a hosted BlackBerry service for Office 365 customers, known as BlackBerry Business Cloud Services. A public beta is expected to be available in early October.

Blackberry Business Cloud Services will provide BlackBerry users with email, calendar, PIM, and additional capabilities.
    Q. Who is the service available to?
    A.

BlackBerry Business Cloud Services will be available to Office 365 customers with both an Exchange Online Enterprise subscription and a BlackBerry Enterprise data plan from their mobile operator.

RIM and Microsoft are working together on a plan to transition existing customers of BPOS and Microsoft Hosted BES Services to the new services from RIM once they are available.
    Q. Can I use my BlackBerry with Office 365 prior to RIM’s service availability?
    A.

Until general availability of the BlackBerry Business Cloud Services, BlackBerry smartphone users can use the BlackBerry Internet Service connection to obtain email over the air, and do a wired sync for calendar and contacts. As well, customers with on-premises Exchange and BES can use rich coexistence with Office 365 to enable BlackBerry device users on-premises.
    Q. Where I can find more details and updates on the services?
    A.

RIM and Microsoft will provide updates with more information about the services and availability through the year.

For more details please refer to:

The Feature and Technical Overview of the BlackBerry Business Cloud Services from RIM

Blog posts and updated information on the Office 365 Community Site
    09-28-11 05:49 PM
    Just tell them you understand the current drawbacks/difficulties involved using a BlackBerry with Office 365 and will live with them and maybe even do your own support on it. If they are any kind of progressive IT department, they will have you sign a form stating you understand this and will do your own tech support on the device. I have worked at a couple companies now that have provided that caveat if a user wants to use something, makes the user happy and IT happy because they don't have to worry about it.
    09-28-11 05:52 PM
    If it really comes down to it, why can't you just have a bb for personal use? Personally I don't have a problem with iphones- I like mac products, however, I prefer BBs so I'd just buy my own.

Besides the 9810 is sssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    09-28-11 05:53 PM
    Just tell them you understand the current drawbacks/difficulties involved using a BlackBerry with Office 365 and will live with them and maybe even do your own support on it. If they are any kind of progressive IT department, they will have you sign a form stating you understand this and will do your own tech support on the device. I have worked at a couple companies now that have provided that caveat if a user wants to use something, makes the user happy and IT happy because they don't have to worry about it.
    I'm probably the most low-maintenance user already.

The issue, as I understand it, is that the contacts, calendar and tasks won't sync, and for a time at least, the mail may not work properly either. I'm already having issues with my calendar not syncing but that may be something specific to my 9700.

If it really comes down to it, why can't you just have a bb for personal use? Personally I don't have a problem with iphones- I like mac products, however, I prefer BBs so I'd just buy my own.

Besides the 9810 is sssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Like I mentioned in the OP, I'm just not into having two phones.
    09-28-11 05:59 PM
    Sounds like the IT guy has his mind made up. It sucks that you can't use your BB, but at least he is giving you more than 1 option to consider. The iPhone and WP7 devices work very well with EAS and other Microsoft software (obviously with WP7).
    09-28-11 06:36 PM
    Could it also be a cost issue - keeping BB compatible services active for one person can't be cost effective for the company.

I dunno, it makes sense to me - if I was IT and out of my place of work only 1 person was using a system everyone else had left, I would likely mention that perhaps it is time to change. I makes sense to me, especially if there are going to be compatibility problems coming.
    09-28-11 06:56 PM
    I'd go rogue. Tell him to p.iss off.
    09-28-11 07:03 PM
    With IT depts in any company, many times it comes down to what the IT dept decides they're willing or able to support. Even if you could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt they're wrong, it won't matter. You can argue until you're blue in the face, but it ultimately comes down to what IT decides they choose to support (be it legitimate issues, personal preference, lack of training, choose not to expend resources in additional training, ignorance, etc..). I'd be inclined to assume your IT just chooses to focus on iPhone because that is what they know.

I know several people in IT who will fight tooth and nail to ensure they don't go BES because they simply can't stand it, so you won't find BB's in their company. (not debating the merits of BES, there's simply a lot of IT people who just don't like it for whatever reason... I'm not judging)
    I would have to agree not to mention that it is the the decision of the Director of your IT dept. to what they want to use.

This does not mean to say that you cannot use a BB as your own personal phone if you can afford to do that and support the CB Nation anyway. You are getting a free phone at work no matter what it is and that is a good thing and perk now a days. Don't rock the boat with your IT dept.
    09-28-11 07:12 PM
    Sounds like the IT guy has his mind made up. It sucks that you can't use your BB, but at least he is giving you more than 1 option to consider. The iPhone and WP7 devices work very well with EAS and other Microsoft software (obviously with WP7).
    Could it also be a cost issue - keeping BB compatible services active for one person can't be cost effective for the company.

I dunno, it makes sense to me - if I was IT and out of my place of work only 1 person was using a system everyone else had left, I would likely mention that perhaps it is time to change. I makes sense to me, especially if there are going to be compatibility problems coming.
    I think there is a bit of an ulterior motive, which is to get me - the outlier - in line with everyone else. But if it happens this way, it makes me a little sad. As mentioned above, I'd love to try the 9900 and don't really want an iphone or a Windows phone. But that's the way things go. Just a few years ago, I took a job with this company and was using a Treo and they told me they only supported Blackberrys and Windows mobile phones. I tried a Windows mobile Treo for about a week and hated it and have been using a Crackberry ever since.
    09-28-11 07:20 PM
    I'd get a new Job before I ditch the berry just sayin lol!
    09-28-11 07:43 PM
    I'd get a new Job before I ditch the berry just sayin lol!
    In this economy I hope you have a new job first if you would quit a job over a phone....any phone!
    09-28-11 08:07 PM
    I think there is a bit of an ulterior motive, which is to get me - the outlier - in line with everyone else. But if it happens this way, it makes me a little sad. As mentioned above, I'd love to try the 9900 and don't really want an iphone or a Windows phone. But that's the way things go. Just a few years ago, I took a job with this company and was using a Treo and they told me they only supported Blackberrys and Windows mobile phones. I tried a Windows mobile Treo for about a week and hated it and have been using a Crackberry ever since.
    Yep. They want to make their job as easy as possible. I guess they decided WP7 and iOS is the easiest for them.

They pay fully for your service right? I wouldn't stress this too much. It's not worth losing your job over IMO (unless you don't really care, then feel free to get your berry!).
    09-28-11 08:11 PM
    We are killing off BB's in order to kill the BES server for cost and simplification reasons. You don't have to yell security at me. I realize it. Most users don't want BB's anymore at my company, and the other choices work well with Exchange now.
    09-29-11 06:29 AM
    Lot of wrong assumptions. It's simply a support issue. It was the same at my last job. No one was allowed to use non-BB smartphones because that's what they knew. Why deal with one person showing up with issues setting up their iPhone, when everyone else is using a BB? It's a waste of time. People who put their iPhones, WinMo, or Androids on the network without permission risked getting fired. It was that serious. Only certain people got that priviledge.

It took about 4 years before they'd allow iPhones and Androids, and they eventually phased out Blackberries because of the data plan costs as well as BES licenses.

Even though Office365 gives BES for free, you still need BES-compatible data plans from your carrier. I'm pretty sure Verizon charges Extra for that. Not sure about AT&T, and T-Mobile is good on freebies but their coverage is so bad that lots of businesses stick to AT&T and Verizon (some use Sprint, very few use T-Mobile, local businesses sometimes use Centennial down here who I think Verizon is buying?).

So, it likely has nothing to do with the BES CALs, but with the BES data plans they have to pay for, on a monthly basis. When you have hundreds of BBs like we had, it can be thousands of dollars a month. Over 80-100k a year.

When the business started restructuring, the first thing they got rid of was BB data plans (cost-cutting). They downgraded everyone who had BBs and weren't management to Feature Phones and told them to use OWA. If you had your own smartphone, they started letting them access it via ActiveSync. Before then, you risked getting fired for putting anything that wasn't a BB on the network. Only certain people got those priviledges.

Most people worked around it by forwarding their Exchange Mail to a GMail or Hotmail Account, and hooking that up to their phones with ActiveSync (and using a different Reply Address).
    Last edited by N8ter; 09-29-11 at 11:10 AM. Reason: some obvious spelling errors.
    09-29-11 11:07 AM
    I'd go rogue. Tell him to p.iss off.
    This was going to be my suggestion.

OR

You could just fire them. I have already replaced 2 androids that they purchased less than a year ago.
    09-29-11 11:14 AM
    In this economy I hope you have a new job first if you would quit a job over a phone....any phone!
    Depends on where you live and what you do for a living AND what news you listen to.

Companies are hiring all over the place near me. But then again staying on unemployment is a great alternative since it keeps getting extended.
    09-29-11 11:22 AM
    Its bound to happen sooner or later. If what the IT guy is saying is true, I think you're SOL. They certainly would like to service only one type of equipment and the good thing about that is you may have better service from them overall.

I think this situation is becoming the same as company issued laptops where you are restricted to load any programs or do any modifications or changes to it. We will probably all end up with 2 phones, one for business and one for personal use (just like I do with my laptops).

In the end, its all about getting a phone that someone else pays for and controls.
    09-29-11 05:46 PM
    Seems like maybe the IT guy is overstating the issue a little. Maybe he just wants me to have an iphone like everyone else.
    Many companies are getting away from BES due to the cost of supporting it. This looks like a great deal. I work in a large corporation that is fazing out BES, most of the IT, HR, Legal and Executive user base have already moved to iPhone or Android devices. All others BB users are on a dwindling timeclock before they are mandated to move either personal or company BB's to another platform.
    09-29-11 05:53 PM
    It was a Joke! Geeesh
    09-29-11 05:54 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD