Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default My Crackberry Confession

"It's just a phone!", "I've waited two years for my contract to expire and this is what happens?!", "These reviews are disgusting and not accurate...", "That's so last year."

Hi. Welcome to the world of technology.
    Sometimes I think back to when I was younger and no one had any mobile devices and few had computers. And find myself wondering how we ever existed without them and how we lived without the internet or HDTV? It's interesting to see what was then and what is now. It's almost like two different lives. One ruled by community events, riding bikes, school, written letters in the mail, church, Encyclopedia Britannica, helping mom cut out coupons for the food shopping, getting into trouble with neighborhood friends, supper with the family at the table and the living room with THE television set... and if you had it good, a VCR. The other life, ruled by our obsession to hyper connectivity to mobile devices, computers, internet, HDTV, video games, social networks, texting and entertainment media.

"Yes, sir. We have a prescription for your tech addiction."

We've come such a long way in technology in such a short amount of time. As a kid, I envied Captain Kirk on the Star Ship Enterprise for his small communication device and D*ck Tracy for his wristwatch. I would've never guessed that in my lifetime I would own technology that surpasses these things that were once considered only science fiction. But I do... most of us do. It's such an incredible human achievement where we stand today in communications and technology. It's exciting and fast-paced. Somehow though, I still find myself looking for something more and it's strange. I look around and I seem to have everything I want. Nice computer, great phone, HDTV, gaming console... But I still feel disconnected somehow. So what's missing?
    Me.

"Oh you use Instagram? Please tell me more about your photography skills!"

It happened so elusively and smoothly that I can't even pinpoint the moment in time when it happened. The time when technology began to take over my life. When going out to play ball was replaced by long chat room sessions online. When hanging out with friends was replaced by online gaming. And when talking was replaced by texting. Long gone are the days when our homes had one telephone and it was shared by everyone and when you received that "special call", you ran into the bathroom stretching out that phone cord to it's max just to get some privacy. But I miss that. And that's what's missing. The human connection. It's been replaced. Replaced by technology. We don't visit anyone anymore because we can just video chat. We don't call anyone to see how they're doing because we can just check their latest status on Facebook or twitter. We don't talk to anyone anymore because we can just text with multiple people. We've allowed technology to live our lives for us.

"Just one more episode on Netflix before bed. Aaaaand it's morning."

So what do I do now? I've never been closer and further apart from the world at the same time.
    I suppose the answer is found in my balance. I need to restore it in my life. Technology has it's place and time in our everyday lives but it's not everything. I often hear people say that if they lost their phone, they wouldn't know what to do. That they would feel naked or panic. Really?! Our dependence nowadays has gone from ourselves and each other to our technology. Because of this, I've actually started to leave my mobile device at home for the day or not watch TV for a week or not use the internet for a few days. Even something that simple most people can't do now. But I need it... For myself. To maintain that balance. And do you wonder what happens when we take a break from technology? I'd rather let you discover that. I'm a BlackBerry user and this is my confession.
    Live boldly.

"I don't always go on Skype but when I do, I stare at myself the entire time."

This is the paradox of our times.
    We have taller buildings, but shorter tempers
    Wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints
    We spend more, but we have less.
    We have bigger houses, but smaller families
    More conveniences, but less time.
    We have more degrees, but less sense
    More knowledge, but less judgement
    More experts, but more problems
    More medicines, but less wellness.
    We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values.
    We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often
    We have learnt how to make a living, but not a life.
    We have added years to life, but not life to years.
    We've been all the way to the moon and back
    But have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor.
    We have conquered outer space, but not inner space.
    We've cleaned up the air, but polluted our soul.
    We've split the atom, but not our prejudice.
    We've higher incomes, but lower morals.
    We've become long on quantity but short on quality.
    These are the times of tall men, and short character;
    Steep profits, and shallow relationships.
    These are the times of world peace, but domestic warfare,
    More leisure, but less fun; more kinds of food, but less nutrition.
    These are the days of two incomes, but more divorces;
    Of fancier houses, but broken homes.
    It is a time when there is much in the show window, and nothing in the stockroom.
    A time when technology can bring this letter to you,
    And a time when you can choose,
    Either to change... or just hit, delete.
    - Dalai Lama
    Last edited by www.devilmaycryinrain.com; 02-03-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Thanked by 5:
    07thking (04-16-2013),  ajst222 (02-26-2013),  FSeverino (02-03-2013),  greenberry666 (02-03-2013),  Supply.Chain (04-16-2013) 
    ubizmo, npisano, dustanh and 17 others like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,253 Global Posts
    PIN
    330c56f6

Bravo!!! Well said although I'm not sure what you mean but "LOL!" At crackberry censoring Dic k Tracey for ya!!! Thanks a lot bin laden!
    Thanked by:
    Jubei Raziel (02-02-2013) 

*Golf clap*
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.2947 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
    Thanked by:
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    5,805 Global Posts

Love it. I'm not that old, but old enough to remember when getting in trouble with the neighborhood friends was tops Thank you very much for posting
    BB4Life
    Thanked by:
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

My man!!! Glad to see you posting here
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Great post and very true. While I still don't leave my phone at home, I don't watch much TV (normally) and don't do much on my home computer.

I did spend around 2 weeks with no TV, radio, computer and BlackBerry because I was in the hospital for close to a month (1st week I was doped up, 4th week I had my BB). After that I say to people who complain that they wouldn't survive without their tech, "It is not so bad and is easier than you think."

That said, I'm home and rarely without my BB, but still not much TV or PC use.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

[My man!!! Glad to see you posting here ]
    Thank you, sir.
    Thanked by:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (02-03-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by ianchristie1972 View Post
    Great post and very true. While I still don't leave my phone at home, I don't watch much TV (normally) and don't do much on my home computer.

I did spend around 2 weeks with no TV, radio, computer and BlackBerry because I was in the hospital for close to a month (1st week I was doped up, 4th week I had my BB). After that I say to people who complain that they wouldn't survive without their tech, "It is not so bad and is easier than you think."

That said, I'm home and rarely without my BB, but still not much TV or PC use.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Why were you in the hospital for that long?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

You are right, and so I use my Blackberry to be more efficient so I have time for more important things, not as an end-all and be-all. I hope we all learn something from the Dalai Lama.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    Thanked by:
    Jubei Raziel (02-03-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ha. That's great. I think about this sometimes too. I own a retail store and some days the customers are few and far between. This is when a boss would light a fire under me and make me sweep the floor or something, but since the boss is me, sometimes I put it off (the thread is titled "confession" after all). Anyway, on days like that I'll find myself on the tech blogs for way too long. Afterwards, I feel the need to watch this video just to clear the air (VERY NSFW, Language):

Last edited by nextlevel88; 02-03-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Apologies in advance if that's too crude. If this post isn't here tomorrow, I get it.
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Addict

Was that a direct quote or a paraphrase of the Unibomber's Manifesto. LOL. Well written.
    Thanked by:
    Jubei Raziel likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by nextlevel88 View Post
    Ha. That's great. I think about this sometimes too. I own a retail store and some days the customers are few and far between. This is when a boss would light a fire under me and make me sweep the floor or something, but since the boss is me, sometimes I put it off (the thread is titled "confession" after all). Anyway, on days like that I'll find myself on the tech blogs for way too long. Afterwards, I feel the need to watch this video just to clear the air (VERY NSFW, Language):

I love Louis CK. I remember this
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    prlck

Don't buy it. We are more healthy than ever. We are more connected with other people than ever. Technology has improved the human condition in almost every way. More technology will make things better not worse. Our only BIG concern with technology is the state using it to further enslave us.
    BB; I get the call, I get the email, I get the TXT, I get the work, I get the money. I get it.
    Thanked by:
    Ankit RS likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrohland View Post
    Don't buy it. We are more healthy than ever. We are more connected with other people than ever. Technology has improved the human condition in almost every way. More technology will make things better not worse. Our only BIG concern with technology is the state using it to further enslave us.

Maybe. But what is the quality of those connections? If what you say is true, the airlines would be out of business. The reality is we still need to see each other to do business or celebrate a holiday or special event
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

As a representative of Skynet, I understand your position.
    JR A likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    prlck

Quote Originally Posted by araskin View Post
    Maybe. But what is the quality of those connections? If what you say is true, the airlines would be out of business. The reality is we still need to see each other to do business or celebrate a holiday or special event
    In fact the ability to meet and get to know new people around the world is greatly enhanced by communication technology. I, for one have met dozens of new people in many countries using BBM. I flew my family across an ocean to meet one of those people in person. And, we are going again to her wedding. I went to dinner with a Canadian and her husband I met through BBM. While my situation may be unique, it may not be.
    BB; I get the call, I get the email, I get the TXT, I get the work, I get the money. I get it.
    Thanked by:
    Jubei Raziel (02-04-2013) 
    JR A likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

In fact the ability to meet and get to know new people around the world is greatly enhanced by communication technology. I, for one have met dozens of new people in many countries using BBM. I flew my family across an ocean to meet one of those people in person. And, we are going again to her wedding. I went to dinner with a Canadian and her husband I met through BBM. While my situation may be unique, it may not be.
    That's true.
    But then again, whoever said technology will replace paper, clearly hasn't tried wiping their *ss with an iPad.
    JR A and ladeberry like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    672 Global Posts

Excellent!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: My Crackberry Confession

Yeah, people made these same comments when TV first became mainstream, radio, television, car... go on and on and you'll find people idealizing the past.

People just love to remember their youth and reminisce about how much better everything was. Nothing wrong with that.

I always carry my smartphone in my pocket but that doesn't stop me from turning it off from time to time.

Life is what you make of it.
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    That's for me to know and you to guess!

Default Re: My Crackberry Confession

Quote Originally Posted by www.devilmaycryinrain.com View Post
    That's true.
    But then again, whoever said technology will replace paper, clearly hasn't tried wiping their *ss with an iPad.
    Brilliant Sir.
    Do as you would be done by and 12 pence to the shilling (or 100 cents to the dollar).

Into every life a little ale must pour
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Quote Originally Posted by Xpwmata View Post
    Yeah, people made these same comments when TV first became mainstream, radio, television, car... go on and on and you'll find people idealizing the past.

People just love to remember their youth and reminisce about how much better everything was. Nothing wrong with that.

I always carry my smartphone in my pocket but that doesn't stop me from turning it off from time to time.

Life is what you make of it.
    I wouldn't say it was better... but rather different. I absolutely love technology. But it was certainly interesting to see victims of Hurricane Sandy first hand without electricity for weeks adapt without technology. A lot of people were in confusion and panic in not being able to use their computer or watch TV or use the microwave. I was just reminded during that time that I don't want technology to control me or for me to be entirely dependent on it. If anything, it's good training for when the zombie apocalypse is upon us
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    530 Global Posts

Obesity epidemics. Cancer scourges. Circulatory and heart conditions.

These things are rife now.

Having said that we definitely live longer mainly due to our ability to combat bacterial and viral infections. In the Mesolithic period a cut could be a serious business. But having said THAT, the Mesolithic people were happier. You can ascertain happiness in the bones and, especially, the teeth of dead people.

The reasons?

1 They were breast-fed until they were older children (observable in tooth enamel hypoplasia events linked with weaning traumas).
    2 they had direct experience of their food sources.
    3 their "jobs" were what we call "hobbies" (fishing, hunting, boating, basket weaving, and sheet like that).

Having said THAT, the freedom that technology is beginning to provide is giving us more in common with the outlooks of our hunter-gatherer ancestors than all the generations that lived between them and us.

We are shaking off the Neolithic Curse

Source: my mind
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by greenberry666 View Post

Having said that we definitely live longer mainly due to our ability to combat bacterial and viral infections. In the Mesolithic period a cut could be a serious business. But having said THAT, the Mesolithic people were happier. You can ascertain happiness in the bones and, especially, the teeth of dead people.

The reasons?

1 They were breast-fed until they were older children (observable in tooth enamel hypoplasia events linked with weaning traumas).
    3 their "jobs" were what we call "hobbies" (fishing, hunting, boating, basket weaving, and sheet like that).

Having said THAT, the freedom that technology is beginning to provide is giving us more in common with the outlooks of our hunter-gatherer ancestors than all the generations that lived between them and us.

I like the source of this information.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    prlck

Quote Originally Posted by greenberry666 View Post

The reasons?

In reality people die of those health issues because their jobs, bad nutrition, accidents and democide don't kill them before cancer and cardiovascular diseases can. It is very likely people in the past would die at a similar rate of those problems as they do now. It's just that other stuff killed them first.

I find it interesting everyone wants us to believe fresh food are more healthy when in reality processed food is far less dangerous and more nutritionally balanced. You will live longer and have fewer intestinal pathogens if you eat canned foods than if you eat raw foods.

To sum it up. Want to live a long and healthy life? Have a low stress job (US Supreme Court judge, US Senator, tenured professor). Eat cooked food that is well balanced. Drink water only (in the US, tap water is fine). Avoid extreme sports and exercise. Live where energy is abundant and low cost. Try to live where health care is competitive in a free market (if you can find such a place). Live in a country where your government won't murder you (if you can find one).

Technology has little affect on most of those things. It can, however, make life much easier and more enjoyable.
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

In reality people die of those health issues because their jobs, bad nutrition, accidents and democide don't kill them before cancer and cardiovascular diseases can. It is very likely people in the past would die at a similar rate of those problems as they do now. It's just that other stuff killed them first.

I find it interesting everyone wants us to believe fresh food are more healthy when in reality processed food is far less dangerous and more nutritionally balanced. You will live longer and have fewer intestinal pathogens if you eat canned foods than if you eat raw foods.

To sum it up. Want to live a long and healthy life? Have a low stress job (US Supreme Court judge, US Senator, tenured professor). Eat cooked food that is well balanced. Drink water only (in the US, tap water is fine). Avoid extreme sports and exercise. Live where energy is abundant and low cost. Try to live where health care is competitive in a free market (if you can find such a place). Live in a country where your government won't murder you (if you can find one).

Technology has little affect on most of those things. It can, however, make life much easier and more enjoyable.
    Although I cannot assume what you mention about fresh food versus processed food to be true, I do agree with your assessment about living a long healthy life.
    Last edited by www.devilmaycryinrain.com; 02-04-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast