In three days my city is enacting a new ordinance banning all handheld cell phones. My understanding is that you will get a ticket if the phone is in your hand, not just for calling and texting, but even for GPS. This is the new law:

What you can't do:
    Engage in a call
    Send, read or write a text message
    View photos or written text
    Engage in gaming
    Engage in any other use of the device (GPS, etc.)

Exceptions
    The ordinance does not apply to a person who is:
    On private property or legally parked
    Using a hands-free device (e.g., Bluetooth)
    Using a GPS device affixed to the vehicle

Operating an emergency vehicle
    Reporting illegal activity
    Communicating with emergency response personnel
    Preventing injury to a person or property
    have a BB9930 and plan to get the BB Classic when this contract is up. I drive a 2007 Saturn VUE-- very non-techie vehicle.

Can anyone suggest equipment I can purchase and install that will qualify under the bolded items? It sounds to me like speakerphone isn't enough. And anyway, calls on speakerphone usually sound crappy. I will sharply curtail my phone calling while driving, but I'd still like it as an option, and I'd really like to be able to use GPS. I don't need it for directions, but mostly to avoid traffic jams.
    12-28-14 08:51 PM
    Wouldn't use an ear piece because of cancer. I got Lymphoma (non curable type) from use a Motorola Brick Phone back in 1998.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 12-29-14 at 01:08 AM.
    12-28-14 08:59 PM
    Parrot CK3100 Advanced Bluetooth Car Kit

This is what i use in my car (came with it when i bought it) very good, never had an issue and had multiple BB pair with it.

Bury make some nice kits as well, i have a Bury Craddle that holds my phone, if i was going to by from scratch probaby would get teh Bury craddle and bluetooth kit.

same laws here in Australia
    Products
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-28-14 09:00 PM
    There are a lot of options when it comes to bluetooth. I had a Jawbone that worked very well for a while. Since then I upgrade my head unit in my car with a bluetooth option. Try Google and see what you would like.
    12-28-14 09:00 PM
    Plantronics Voyager Legend or the newer version are VERY highly recommended. I've used many, many. The Voyager Legend has been the best.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-28-14 09:26 PM
    I recently purchased the LG Tone Plus headset. I don't care for things hanging off my ear when not needed. These you can pull the buds out when not in use and easily insert for calls. I've had them about 3 weeks now and so far I enjoy using it.
    Amazon.com: LG Electronics Tone Pro Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
    12-28-14 09:43 PM
    Plantronics Voyager Legend or the newer version are VERY highly recommended. I've used many, many. The Voyager Legend has been the best.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    Had the legend for years, now have had the HD for over a year. Superb earpieces.
    12-28-14 09:45 PM
    In three days my city is enacting a new ordinance banning all handheld cell phones. My understanding is that you will get a ticket if the phone is in your hand, not just for calling and texting, but even for GPS. This is the new law:

have a BB9930 and plan to get the BB Classic when this contract is up. I drive a 2007 Saturn VUE-- very non-techie vehicle.

Can anyone suggest equipment I can purchase and install that will qualify under the bolded items? It sounds to me like speakerphone isn't enough. And anyway, calls on speakerphone usually sound crappy. I will sharply curtail my phone calling while driving, but I'd still like it as an option, and I'd really like to be able to use GPS. I don't need it for directions, but mostly to avoid traffic jams.
    I use a Jabra Freeway bluetooth device. It's pretty large and pretty expensive, but works very well with my Z10. Biggest drawback is it has to attach to the visor on the drivers side. Limits the use of the visor, but I have adjusted to that by installing it on the lowered visor. Just can't raise the visor or move it to the side window without activating the unit. I've learned to live with it. Speaker is very good and the microphone picks up my voice without background noise.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    BB_Junky likes this.
    12-28-14 09:58 PM
    I've been using a BlackBerry hands free car speakerphone device for years. It works great.

Posted via CrackBerry App on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    12-28-14 10:08 PM
    I have to second the plantronics oyager series of headsets. Superb. I actually like the slightly older one that was released before the legend, but the legend is still amazing, IF you get the charging case. It uses some bizarre proprietary magnetic charger connection. The case though, will charge the headset from dead two and a half times and has a micro USB port on it, so life is easy.

I scrolled past what kind of car you drive, but I have swapped most of my personal vehicles to all have stereos that have bluetooth built into the stereo. If you can, that's a stellar option. Bluetooth music streaming with audio control from the stereo. Amazing sound quality on phone calls. Best of both worlds. I only use my headset at work now, in company vehicles.

We have the same laws in Alberta regarding distracted driving that you seem to be getting, but the headset or stereo is fine.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-29-14 12:09 AM
    If you have 2 phones like I do, I can only recommend bluetooth stereos from JVC as they are the only manufacturer I can find that connects 2 phones simultaneously. Which means you can answer calls from either phone while both are connected.

You would have to buy a generic microphone that you can install in your car so that you won't have to shout when answering the phone.

I would never buy a bluetooth headset as I see it as yet ANOTHER thing to charge, and they take hours to fully charge too. Also, I find then uncomfortable to wear.

With a bluetooth stereo, the phone connects as soon as you switch on the engine. Pure convenience.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and BigBadWulf like this.
    12-29-14 03:59 AM

First of all get a cradle then speaker phone will be legal, you can Lao use the headset.
    12-29-14 04:44 AM
    Don't forget the 9930 supports smart usb with some charging cradles, meaning when you connect to it a whole set of options become available automatically when you put it in the cradle and take it out.
    Moot example mine turned wifi off, GPS in, Bluetooth on etc when I cradled my 9900.

This is now missing from BB10 devices.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    12-29-14 04:50 AM
    PS, your City is at least 10 years behind the times, this should've been done a long time ago.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    12-29-14 05:57 AM
    PS, your City is at least 10 years behind the times, this should've been done a long time ago.
    Depends on where you live. We just went hands free the beginning of December.

That being said I use a Motorola Wireless set, not sure of the model at the moment as its in the car
    12-29-14 06:32 AM
    Depends on where you live. We just went hands free the beginning of December.

That being said I use a Motorola Wireless set, not sure of the model at the moment as its in the car
    UK banned them in 2003.
    12-29-14 06:42 AM
    12-29-14 07:33 AM
    It seems to me that this has less to do with bluetooth and more to do with your voice recognition functions if you aren't allowed to use your hands - or are the police going to give you a break if they see you are using bluetooth while dialing your phone with your hand or selecting music. I've noticed that voice recognition is degraded when using car audio vs the smartphone microphone which has noise cancellation and optimization for its internal microphone. I have to turn off bluetooth to make the voice commands recognizable such as sending a text.
    12-29-14 07:59 AM
    It seems to me that this has less to do with bluetooth and more to do with your voice recognition functions if you aren't allowed to use your hands - or are the police going to give you a break if they see you are using bluetooth while dialing your phone with your hand or selecting music. I've noticed that voice recognition is degraded when using car audio vs the smartphone microphone which has noise cancellation and optimization for its internal microphone. I have to turn off bluetooth to make the voice commands recognizable such as sending a text.
    See this is what people get wrong, it's not illegal to use the phone while driving, it's illegal to use it in your hand, once it's in the cradle you can do whatever you want.

Saying that if you don't pay attention to traffic they can still charge you with driving without due care or "careless driving"
    12-29-14 08:31 AM
    Parrot CK3100 Advanced Bluetooth Car Kit
    Products
    This looks promising. Thanks.

There are a lot of options when it comes to bluetooth. I had a Jawbone that worked very well for a while. Since then I upgrade my head unit in my car with a bluetooth option. Try Google and see what you would like.
    I know there are a lot of options. I came here for reviews of products to help me sort through all the options.

I use a Jabra Freeway bluetooth device. ...
    This looks like basically a speakerphone. My understanding of this ordinance is that you are not allowed to touch your phone at all, so just an enhanced speakerphone is not going to satisfy the requirement.

I've been using a BlackBerry hands free car speakerphone device for years. It works great.
    Which one do you use?

First of all get a cradle then speaker phone will be legal, you can Lao use the headset.
    I don't think so. I think it has to be 100% hands free.

Also, I should have mentioned that I wear hearing aids, so a headset with earbuds that go into your ears is not a good option for me. My ears are already full of stuff. I know there are bluetooth-friendly hearing aids, but this pair of hearing aids cost me $3,600 and I'm not anxious to replace them yet. Anyway, I think I need more than a headset-- phone use must be totally hands free.

And this is helpful to me in my quest for a bluetooth device...how?

This is a very helpful and yet discouraging post. You are right, that voice recognition is going to be important. I do not expect the police to give anyone a break if they see them dialing a phone. The articles I've read say you must not be holding or touching your phone unless you are parked. You can't dial or touch your phone, even for GPS, even while stopped at a stoplight.

The Belkin thing looks very interesting. Thanks for that, Early2Bed.

Thanks for all the comments.
    12-29-14 08:40 AM
    I have been using a Garmin GPS unit for many years - before there was GPS on phones. As they have Bluetooth, I have been using that for hands free in the car. True, it's not great for speech recognition, but good enough for my purposes.
    Hopefully my next car will come with QNX. My car has over 150,000 miles, so I'm just waiting patiently :-).

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    12-29-14 08:49 AM
    Early2Bed's post about the Belkin device sent me to amazon, where I found this one:
    Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit

There are a total of 3,110 reviews, and 2,172 are 5-star/595 are 4-star.

Anyone use this device?
    12-29-14 08:54 AM
    This looks promising. Thanks.

I know there are a lot of options. I came here for reviews of products to help me sort through all the options.

This looks like basically a speakerphone. My understanding of this ordinance is that you are not allowed to touch your phone at all, so just an enhanced speakerphone is not going to satisfy the requirement.

Which one do you use?

I don't think so. I think it has to be 100% hands free.

Also, I should have mentioned that I wear hearing aids, so a headset with earbuds that go into your ears is not a good option for me. My ears are already full of stuff. I know there are bluetooth-friendly hearing aids, but this pair of hearing aids cost me $3,600 and I'm not anxious to replace them yet. Anyway, I think I need more than a headset-- phone use must be totally hands free.

And this is helpful to me in my quest for a bluetooth device...how?

This is a very helpful and yet discouraging post. You are right, that voice recognition is going to be important. I do not expect the police to give anyone a break if they see them dialing a phone. The articles I've read say you must not be holding or touching your phone unless you are parked. You can't dial or touch your phone, even for GPS, even while stopped at a stoplight.

The Belkin thing looks very interesting. Thanks for that, Early2Bed.

Thanks for all the comments.
    If you are wearing hearing aids I do believe you are exempt from that law. Check into it.
    12-29-14 08:55 AM
    Oh my goodness! THAT is interesting. I surely will.

ETA: I just read the whole ordinance and there is no mention of hearing aids at all one way or the other. I will research further.
    12-29-14 08:59 AM
    No, hands free means don't handle the phone in your hand, it's not illegal to press a button either on the device( assuming it's in a cradle), wired headset or Bluetooth headset.

Understand the law, the act of holding the phone is illegal, regardless if it's off and you're using it to scratch your nose with it. In UK technically if you're parked but the engine is still on its still illegal although I doubt anybody will ever get done for that.

Look at all the buttons in your dashboard, is it illegal to press any of them?

Your 9930 as far as I remember should have a Bluetooth auto answer setting after a set number if rings, I'm not 100% sure about this though, might've been on the older models.
    12-29-14 09:38 AM
52 123