Is actually not whether or not it'll be good. From what I've seen so far I like it quite a bit. My main worry is once the new phones are released in Q1 2013, will RIM succeed in maintaining it? Meaning will they keep BB10 up to date in order to keep pace with competitors as they release new features? I think I have a pretty good reason to have this concern based their track record so far. Thor can talk a good game all he wants but the fact remains that BB10 is taking longer to come out than every single other OS in my avatar is taking with their newest phones. I know people will argue that this is good timing, however it's not late because of timing, it's late because they're not finished with it.
    10-17-12 01:50 PM
    It takes longer to develop a new platform than it does to develop updates for said platform.
    10-17-12 02:08 PM
    I think RIM will do better maintaining BB10 than they did with the classic BB OS. Why? Because they are designing it with maintainability in mind from what I have read. If you listen to the latest CB podcast (91 I think) -- you"ll hear them talk about how a BB10 phone could essentially be shipped as an "app-less" device and then the end user install whatever is needed. This will mean RIM can have one or a few (or whatever) OS builds to maintain instead of a separate OS for each carrier -- with custom crapware added. Thus testing and certification might go faster.

This is just one example. Modularity I guess you could say.

I will also state the obvious. Many of the folks that wrote the classic BB OS are not at RIM any longer. The QNX guys are all there in the midst of things. That alone will count for a lot when it comes to less buggy development of code.
    slomo408 likes this.
    10-17-12 02:10 PM
    Also, keep in mind; RIM is building a platform that would be around for the next 10-years. With that will come updates, new models, etc. The track record that you are refferring to is of an old platform that really has done all that it can. WIth BB10 the possibilities are almost limitless (from what I have been reading), I am talking about integrating with cars, home security, payment method and the list goes on. My $0.02 on the subject!!
    10-17-12 02:35 PM
    I totally agree OP this is all in RIM's hands and it is theirs to blunder or succeed with. Thor is a major improvement over the other two clowns. Don't get me wrong they were fine til 08 than it was straight down hill.
    10-17-12 02:40 PM
    Is actually not whether or not it'll be good. From what I've seen so far I like it quite a bit. My main worry is once the new phones are released in Q1 2013, will RIM succeed in maintaining it? Meaning will they keep BB10 up to date in order to keep pace with competitors as they release new features? I think I have a pretty good reason to have this concern based their track record so far. Thor can talk a good game all he wants but the fact remains that BB10 is taking longer to come out than every single other OS in my avatar is taking with their newest phones. I know people will argue that this is good timing, however it's not late because of timing, it's late because they're not finished with it.
    What this basically comes down to is, do you trust RIM as a company and do you expect them to remain in business long enough to maintain the platform? If your answer is "no", then don't buy.
    stevepar likes this.
    10-17-12 02:40 PM
    I agree with the OP, and, although I think BB10 will most likely be brilliant, and a huge step up from Blackberry OS, RIM have taken far too long - even if they are designing a new OS. I agree that this takes time, but they are loosing customers by the minute - and nobody seems to want to stick around to wait, when they could have a more 'stable'(for want of a better world) OS, where they know it will be updated regularly with lots of new features, e.g. IOS and Android. It's sad that RIM are loosing customers like this, and I hope they do get them back when BB10 comes, but I doubt that many will return once they leave.
    10-17-12 02:56 PM
    What this basically comes down to is, do you trust RIM as a company and do you expect them to remain in business long enough to maintain the platform? If your answer is "no", then don't buy.
    That's what worries me, if the popular apps like words with friends, dice with buddies and numerous other social game apps and others available on IOS and Android are not available on BB10, then you will have consumers making other choices than BlackBerry. That's their whole problem now. People jumped ship to get more out of their smartphone than just great mail, call and keyboard. Its like why should I carry a iPod and a BlackBerry, when I can do it all with the Iphone. This is what they need to deliver. Not just a great OS, but a great ecosystem to support it and compete with the big 2 IOS and Android.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    bodjor likes this.
    10-17-12 02:57 PM
    I think the word I'm looking for here is momentum. There's a long span between current BB7 and BB10 in terms of getting into the game as a cutting edge current OS and RIM's track record so far is one of delays. iOS has just come out with iOS6, WP is poised to launch WP8 alongside Windows 8 and I just finished looking at all of the upcoming Android phones and those are comiing out in the next couple of months stuffed full of absolutely monstrous superphones at a breakneck pace. So once BB10 is out, RIM is going to need to keep up an equally constant momentum, and not give us 2-3 delays and pushbacks like they have been if they want to keep up with the rest. BB10 phones may very well be just as good as all teh other offerings at that time. The question is once it's out, will they then keep pace in a timely manner from that point forward?
    10-17-12 04:04 PM
    Without a doubt. RIM can move mountains of code much quicker then their competition. They are working with a foundation that through architecture and design gives accelerated development.

BlackBerry 10 is still months away and RIM has extended BlackBerry Webworks into a completely different market (QNX Car platform) .Microsoft is still months away from releasing the development kit for Windows Phone 8.
    10-17-12 07:57 PM
    It would seem to me that creating the completely new OS would be harder that maintaining and advancing it. Think of all the newly experienced and freed up hands. Once they launch I'm sure focus will shift for many RIM internal developer's. Some to maintain and improve, others building upon what they have for the next great things that people want.
    Thor is right to say he is in the experience race not the spec race, although specs will matter to and I'm sure he understands that.
    10-18-12 04:42 AM
    are u kidding me? a year is too long to build an OS from scratch ground up?!?!

wow..

u know ios and android were in the works for way longer then a year right? the only difference is that BB10 is being developed in the spot light! mannn i cannot stand misinformed statements like this!! of course RIM woulda liked to keep wraps on BB10.. but they needed to tell the world something...
    10-18-12 02:58 PM
    are u kidding me? a year is too long to build an OS from scratch ground up?!?!

wow..

u know ios and android were in the works for way longer then a year right? the only difference is that BB10 is being developed in the spot light! mannn i cannot stand misinformed statements like this!! of course RIM woulda liked to keep wraps on BB10.. but they needed to tell the world something...
    It's not a year though, is it?

Surely RIM started working on BB10 around the same time as they were working on the OS for the Playbook, which means it must be around two years, and by the time it comes out it will be definitely over two years.

If you are fighting for survival, and have all hands on deck, then it seems to be taking loooooooong time.

I agree they need to get it right, but this is a VERY fast moving game.

At the moment RIMs reputation with consumers is getting worse by the day. I totally disagree with the stupid NYT article, but the reality is that most consumers think Blackberry is already on its last legs. By the time BB10 finally arrives millions of potential users may have already migrated to other mobile ecosystems, and it will be challenging to try and win them back once they're gone.

That said, if RIM totally nail it with the best OS and phones ever seen come Q1 then who knows. Maybe Thorsten and his team have the perfect strategy.
    10-18-12 03:31 PM
    from what i remember the PB OS was built first.. i'm pretty sure it wasn't in development along side the PB OS..

i agree in the publics eye it's taking along time cause people are using 8310's still... the hardest part is making people realize that bb10 is nothing like the old OS.. cause those are the complaints i get.. i don't wanna go to BB10 cause it might be like what we have now..
    10-18-12 03:43 PM
    from what i remember the PB OS was built first.. i'm pretty sure it wasn't in development along side the PB OS..

i agree in the publics eye it's taking along time cause people are using 8310's still... the hardest part is making people realize that bb10 is nothing like the old OS.. cause those are the complaints i get.. i don't wanna go to BB10 cause it might be like what we have now..
    10-18-12 03:45 PM
    I agree that it takes time to build a new OS but don't tell us its going to be released and then push it back 6 months 2 times. That's bad business right there.
    10-18-12 08:39 PM
    I agree that it takes time to build a new OS but don't tell us its going to be released and then push it back 6 months 2 times. That's bad business right there.
    I think this sums it up. Sure it takes time to make a new OS, but don't announce it, or say it will release when it's no where near being ready. Delays only P*** people off, especially when they are really excited about waiting for something.

And remember, not everyone comes to tech sites to find out about the latest, and upcoming greatest. All they know is what they can go out and buy right now. A lot of people don't care about what might be here in XX months. And it is only made worse when you delay something. Especially more than once.

You would think if all the other companies can annouce something and release it not too long after, RIM would be able to get it down packed after all this time in the game. Just saying
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 10-18-12 at 09:08 PM.
    10-18-12 08:51 PM
    Most people I know say "I heard RIM is going bankrupt". They have no clue BB10 is coming.
    10-18-12 09:06 PM
    Until BB10 hits the shelves of retailers its at best the steam off of imaginary chili....
    ...We know the gestures are rock solid from our experience with the Playbook.
    ...We know the U.I. is rock solid from our experience with the Playbook.
    ...We know the build quality is rock solid from the devices RIM has build ( except the storm ).

Those things are not the problem and certainly won't be the problem....
    ...This whole thing will boil down to IF RIM can deliver the apps people are expecting.
    ...Those Apps the other guys have THAT ripped the majority of market share away from RIM.

RIM taking it all the way or foundering and going down the drain will all be about if RIM can deliver Netflix for it's Playbook.....
    ....And Skype for it's BB10 phones.
    ...Make no mistake - those are the kinds of things that cost RIM it's market share for phones and it's tablet.

Instead of producing them RIM had a literal army of well intentioned users who cranked their mouths open and yelled; "who needs those things"?
    This is simply what we are looking at here.
    10-18-12 10:17 PM
    Pythons, you are on point.
    10-18-12 10:21 PM
    Without a doubt. RIM can move mountains of code much quicker then their competition. They are working with a foundation that through architecture and design gives accelerated development.
    And yet the delays continue with this new platform. Since QNX is used in mission critical systems we can put the blame for BlackBerry 10 delays squarely on the shoulders of the BlackBerry 10 development team.

BlackBerry 10 is still months away and RIM has extended BlackBerry Webworks into a completely different market (QNX Car platform) .Microsoft is still months away from releasing the development kit for Windows Phone 8.
    Laughable argument. Research In Motion took almost 2 years to release the Native Software Development Kit (NDK/SDK) for BlackBerry Tablet OS and while some accelerated progress has been made for BlackBerry 10 such progress rides on the shoulders of BlackBerry Tablet OS. Again stop being an apologist; hold them accountable for the delays. Oh, since RIM announced that BlackBerry 10 will not come to the BlackBerry PlayBook for at least several months after the first BlackBerry 10 smartphone their track record and credibility remain poor.
    10-18-12 10:46 PM
    RIM taking it all the way or foundering and going down the drain will all be about if RIM can deliver Netflix for it's Playbook.....
    ....And Skype for it's BB10 phones.
    ...Make no mistake - those are the kinds of things that cost RIM it's market share for phones and it's tablet.
    BB10 for the Playbook released in a timely fashion. Netflix for PB. Skype and Instagram for phones.

There's a reason people keep mentioning these apps. They are cornerstones. Without them you're not providing the functionality of other platforms. I'm sure there's a larger list of must have apps, but it really does boil down to these three.
    10-18-12 11:25 PM
    If RIM can deliver the popular Apps people EXPECT to see on Tablets and Smartphones RIM will come back....
    ...It's no more difficult then that.

What I fear is RIM could "tapp out" on delivering the popular Apps & instead....
    ...Attempt to start a grass roots campaign to show off it's "flow" & "peek" concept on Apps the vast majority of people could care less about.
    ...That's seriously the only thing I worry about.

With RIM's build quality being so good what I've mentioned is the ONLY thing anyone should worry about...
    ...RIM needs to focus on the specific reasons they lost market share - stop the bleeding and rebuild it's user base in North America.
    ...They can do this easily IF they just deliver those Apps that are shared between IOS and Droid.
    ...That means Netflix and Skype, stuff like IOS Numbers App along with Mobile Apps for Corporate Business like ADP Mobile and the like!

If RIM can't provide this because they waited to long they should just be happy with the very respectable user base they have in the developing world....
    ...And tapp out of playing in the heavy-weight ring.
    10-18-12 11:38 PM
    And yet the delays continue with this new platform. Since QNX is used in mission critical systems we can put the blame for BlackBerry 10 delays squarely on the shoulders of the BlackBerry 10 development

Laughable argument. Research In Motion took almost 2 years to release the Native Software Development Kit (NDK/SDK) for BlackBerry Tablet OS and while some accelerated progress has been made for BlackBerry 10 such progress rides on the shoulders of BlackBerry Tablet OS. Again stop being an apologist; hold them accountable for the delays. Oh, since RIM announced that BlackBerry 10 will not come to the BlackBerry PlayBook for at least several months after the first BlackBerry 10 smartphone their track record and credibility remain poor.
    Thanks I however realize that a split platform personal /work on the same device is a very challenging engineering feat....As well as developing a distributed networking enterprise server and full integration of the NOC is no small task. Not to mention BB10 devices have to have lateral integration through distributed systems.

I get the hint that you see BB10 as one piece of pie. I see the whole pie......then look beyond that and become aware there are more pies filled with different fruit.

If you had a clue what was really going on with BB10 you would maybe become aware that they aren't building a stand alone isolated OS.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 10-19-12 at 12:02 AM.
    10-18-12 11:48 PM
    BB10 for the Playbook released in a timely fashion. Netflix for PB. Skype and Instagram for phones.

There's a reason people keep mentioning these apps. They are cornerstones. Without them you're not providing the functionality of other platforms. I'm sure there's a larger list of must have apps, but it really does boil down to these three.
    Yes, absolutely!
    10-19-12 12:14 AM
46 12