Nope, it has Airplay. However, you can buy a dock connector to HDMI cable if you don't like wireless.
    Judging by the articles showing up on some sites, it doesn't seem like that connector is too great and with the BB you get wireless via DLNA and do not need to buy anything extra to get your hdmi output beyond the cable.
    SuperionMaximus and EsJayDee like this.
    03-02-13 07:51 AM
    I found this link on an iphone blog no less. It has some interesting points regarding placement of the various ports and a pretty detailed comparison if you are looking for points to argue over..
    Blackberry Z10: A Big Improvement Over The iPhone 5 – Here’s Why
    Interesting but not related, in the middle of the Seattle news last night they ran a story on how great Siri was compared to all other apps and devices "currently" on the market. I would be pretty sure it was a paid for news spot. In the above article it sights the Z10 with the more accurate voice recognition.
    QERNB likes this.
    03-02-13 08:04 AM
    Judging by the articles showing up on some sites, it doesn't seem like that connector is too great and with the BB you get wireless via DLNA and do not need to buy anything extra to get your hdmi output beyond the cable.
    I was also just reading you don't get true 1080p out of the iphone connector. Is this true?
    03-02-13 08:05 AM
    I was also just reading you don't get true 1080p out of the iphone connector. Is this true?
    That was what it seemed to be saying in a bunch of articles that have just surfaced such as this one:

Apple's Lightning AV Adapter packs an ARM SoC, may use AirPlay-like decoding
    SuperionMaximus likes this.
    03-02-13 08:09 AM
    I would challenge him for a browser race on the spot.... which I did a few times and shut their superior attitude off within a few seconds, and then we were back to a much nicer conversation. LOL
    EsJayDee likes this.
    03-02-13 08:13 AM
    This is the sort of thread that can quickly spiral out of control. I encourage good conversation and debate, albeit, DON'T get personal, no name calling and no personal attacks.

I've already cleaned up a few posts, and I'm yet to hand out infractions, etc. So, let's keep along this same path and enjoy nice friendly conversation.
    This thread shouldn't have been posted in the first place. It's obvious that it was meant to stir up controversy, no matter how "loyal" it started out.
    03-02-13 08:14 AM
    Lol damn every thread i post get out of control lol keep it clean guys

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 08:52 AM
    Ask him how well NFC works on iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    You realize that NFC is a non factor for many, right?

I've had an NFC capable phone for a year and never once used it.

And technically, the iOS guy wasn't wrong, because of BB10 having android runtime (hence the ability to sideload converted bar files).

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 via JB 4.2.2 - thanks Tasks AOKP!
    03-02-13 09:15 AM

And technically, the iOS guy wasn't wrong, because of BB10 having android runtime (hence the ability to sideload converted bar files).

And works great. I think BBRY'S strategy is beginning to pay off because I am beginning to see small but useful apps I long for years to appear on my BlackBerry device. This trend is starting to roll and will eventually get to a point that BlackBerry still has their unique features with many add ons from android world.
    03-02-13 09:29 AM

Well, he (the iphone user) won't know because be doesn't have it. lol
    3hb78ftg and EsJayDee like this.
    03-02-13 09:49 AM
    Ask him how well NFC works on iPhone.

My SG3 has NFC and to be honest I haven't had a single opportunity to use it. Unlikely it will be a distinguishing factor at this point. Having said that, once mobile payments are mainstream (and obviously by then Apple will include it) it will become a basic of any popular smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 10:06 AM
    In my opinion the best phone is The phone thats fits to you. I do get into debates about devices dont get me wrong but there is no winner. One may sell more but if i like the one that doesnt sell thats the best phone for me i dont care.

I like my BlackBerry because it is for me. It is mine and It does everything i need it to.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 on Verizon Wireless.
    BlackBerry By Choice!
    web99, BKbehave, Enyigma and 4 others like this.
    03-02-13 10:12 AM
    I don't even bother arguing. I also never instigate. People try and rile me up though and I don't understand why my having a BlackBerry that I am content with is such a negative for them.

They always try and tell me my phone is useless which I respond simply with what do I need it to do? Apps? I don't use them. Weather apps? I have one. Its makes calls, can SMS, MMS and BBM, has a great camera, plays my music and allows me to watch videos.
    web99, BKbehave and EsJayDee like this.
    03-02-13 10:44 AM
    the argument more powerfull is " hey send me a song from ur iphone trough bluetooth"
    03-02-13 10:55 AM
    I don't even bother arguing. I also never instigate. People try and rile me up though and I don't understand why my having a BlackBerry that I am content with is such a negative for them.
    I feel the same way. I have one guy at my work who always makes comments about my choice to stay with BlackBerry. It is rather embarrassing for his immature behavior. We were shooting a commercial for our Dealership and we had a Mac Book Pro and 2 ipads that we were using to show customers we have wifi avaiable in our wonder waiting area. The kid comments to the film and our staff that i cannot be in the commercial because i have a BlackBerry and not an iPhone. I simply laughed at this response.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 on Verizon Wireless.
    BlackBerry By Choice!
    EsJayDee likes this.
    03-02-13 11:16 AM

Nope technically he is wrong cause he stated that BB10 IS ANDROID as in powered by android not by QNX
    EsJayDee likes this.
    03-02-13 11:44 AM
    I found this link on an iphone blog no less. It has some interesting points regarding placement of the various ports and a pretty detailed comparison if you are looking for points to argue over..
    Blackberry Z10: A Big Improvement Over The iPhone 5 � Here�s Why
    Interesting but not related, in the middle of the Seattle news last night they ran a story on how great Siri was compared to all other apps and devices "currently" on the market. I would be pretty sure it was a paid for news spot. In the above article it sights the Z10 with the more accurate voice recognition.
    The article you cited refers to voice dictation, which does work reasonably well on the Z10. Siri is more than just voice dictation though, it's marketed as an "Assistant". You can ask it questions like on sports scores, weather etc. It functionally does more than the assistant the Z10 comes with.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 11:54 AM
    Just the fact that Apple folk are defensive is informative.

The last time I can remember the Apple Corps being this upset about a phone was January of 2009, when I was privileged to be involved in the webOS launch.

webOS was so far ahead of anything that Apple had at the time that the press corps was absolutely goo-gah. EVERYONE wanted a Pre, that day. And while Palm screwed up quality control and availability, I remember the Apple folks being enraged at the idea that someone would dare to try and compete with them. The arguments that multitasking and fast 3G don't matter, etc. Meanwhile, Apple launched a crack program to catch up with Pre, which shipped as iPhone 3GS.

When Apple folks are angry and on the attack, it's because something about your product or experience smacked them in the face and they're panicking over how to deal with it. If BB gets the availability and marketing question right, you'll see the anger against BB reach Palm-like levels in Apple-world shortly, with every other Apple-related article, post or YouTube video slagging off BB the way they did Palm for the first several months of 2009.

Ultimately, in a market that will sell a billion units, there's enough room for everyone. This is an unprecedented market size, and that represents opportunity for innovation from everyone. No OEM will "dominate" -- certainly not Apple, which will be "just another choice." Losing that "leadership" position isn't going to be easy for them, but they'll manage. Just as the Mac is a tiny minority platform, so shall iOS be. And that's OK. They'll still make money.
    I don't remember any of this "slagging off" you seem to. Do you have any quote from Apple regarding the pre? I personally bought a pre plus, so that says something about the pre that I can't say about the z10 just yet.

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    03-02-13 01:06 PM
    Means spending more money for a port that shall exist in every smartphone that declared to be a smartphone.

Some of android phone does the same. That's not a smart way.
    Does the z10 come with the HDMI cable? I didn't think it did so you'd have to buy one yes? I didn't simply because of AirPlay, I had an Apple TV already (Which luckily plugs into any television and does not require DLNA certification or for the tv to have built in wireless) and all other apple devices support AirPlay internally, so no, no extra money on my part.

03-02-13 01:09 PM
    My problem with the iPhone lately has been this: what am I paying the premium for? Off-contract, I can pickup the Z10 for $650. iPhone 5? $700. For the extra money, I get no NFC, no microSD slot, an aging OS with poor multitasking, and internal hardware that pales compared to the competition. Build quality? The Z10 is built every bit as well as the iPhone. Reliability? The last few iOS updates have been troubling at best (one of my iPhone-wielding friends had to spend a week with a non-functional phone after an iOS 6 update made it slow to a crawl), while BlackBerry's first BB10 update improved the OS pretty substantially in my experience, as well as the experiences of many others. Apps? A Galaxy S3 is $650 and brings you just as many apps, with a rock-solid, customizable OS, NFC, microSD, and proper multitasking. Simplicity? Nokia Lumia 920 can do that for $600, while blowing every single camera in the industry into the water and bringing a reasonable amount of apps. The wireless charging is a nice bonus too.

I really haven't seen a good reason to recommend an iPhone to anyone since the 4S days, when Siri was something pretty innovative for a smartphone. Ever since then, Google Now has trounced Siri, and though BlackBerry Voice Control lacks the same functionality, its voice recognition appears to be better in general. Now, Android is the go-to platform for a very flexible experience, along with a huge app market. BlackBerry's got your communications and productivity covered, along with a nifty, gesture-based OS. Windows Phone can take care of ease-of-use, and the Lumia 920's camera is amazingly good. So where does iOS fit in? I'm sure that its specific combination of assets may well appeal to some. But it's clear that Apple has grown lazy, falling behind the innovation of the competition while continuing to charge more money than comparable phones.
    Last edited by LazyEvul; 03-02-13 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Corrected pricing.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    03-02-13 01:37 PM
    My problem with the iPhone lately has been this: what am I paying the premium for? Off-contract, I can pickup the Z10 for $650. iPhone 5? $800. For that money, I get no NFC, no microSD slot, an aging OS with poor multitasking, and internal hardware that pales compared to the competition. Build quality? The Z10 is built every bit as well as the iPhone. Reliability? The last few iOS updates have been troubling at best (one of my iPhone-wielding friends had to spend a week with a non-functional phone after an iOS 6 update made it slow to a crawl), while BlackBerry's first BB10 update improved the OS pretty substantially in my experience, as well as the experiences of many others. Apps? A Galaxy S3 is $700 and brings you just as many apps, with a rock-solid, customizable OS, NFC, microSD, and proper multitasking. Simplicity? Nokia Lumia 920 can do that for $600, while blowing every single camera in the industry into the water and bringing a reasonable amount of apps. The wireless charging is a nice bonus too.

I really haven't seen a good reason to recommend an iPhone to anyone since the 4S days, when Siri was something pretty innovative for a smartphone. Ever since then, Google Now has trounced Siri, and though BlackBerry Voice Control lacks the same functionality, its voice recognition appears to be better in general. Now, Android is the go-to platform for a very flexible experience, along with a huge app market. BlackBerry's got your communications and productivity covered, along with a nifty, gesture-based OS. Windows Phone can take care of ease-of-use, and the Lumia 920's camera is amazingly good. So where does iOS fit in? I'm sure that its specific combination of assets may well appeal to some. But it's clear that Apple has grown lazy, falling behind the innovation of the competition while continuing to charge absurd amounts of money.
    $800? What country are you buying it in? Iphone 5 starts at $650 in the US.
    03-02-13 02:08 PM
    $800? What country are you buying it in? Iphone 5 starts at $650 in the US.
    Canada. Phones tend to cost more here than south of the border from what I've gathered, last I checked it was an $800 phone. I should probably double-check however, may have dropped since then.

Edit: Ah yes, I stand corrected. It's a $700 phone now. But the Galaxy S3 is $650 now as well, so it is still more expensive. Even on-contract, the iPhone is $30 more than my Z10 was, and $130 more than the S3. Will update my original post with correct pricing.
    03-02-13 02:20 PM
    Does the z10 come with the HDMI cable? I didn't think it did so you'd have to buy one yes? I didn't simply because of AirPlay, I had an Apple TV already (Which luckily plugs into any television and does not require DLNA certification or for the tv to have built in wireless) and all other apple devices support AirPlay internally, so no, no extra money on my part.
    You're kidding right.. well that's you .. and doesn't represent everyone else.

It's great that you forked out the money for Apple TV so you didn't have to buy one.. but you did spend the money originally. My HDMI cables cost me $5 from Amazon and it connnects to all my tvs just like the z10's DLNA capability to all my tvs and devices that are DLNA compatible.. again in both cases I didn't have to spend any or very little money; most people don't have portable media players (~$100) lying around that they could just hook into especially an Apple media player.
    03-02-13 02:47 PM

I'm sorry but that doesnt make any sense and i own an Apple TV as well as an iPhone 5 and iPad. The Apple TV cost 100 bucks, you can get one of those mini HDMI cables for the phone for like 5 bucks and works with any TV that has HDMI, whereas you need an Apple TV to do the same.

What i would like to know is if the Z/Q10 supports Miracast which is now an industry standard, which is essentially Airplay but for everyone else and is being cooked into a lot of devices (Android 4.2 supports it), TVs, and set top boxes like Roku. I personally am a big fan of Miracast and i think its going to be far FAR bigger than what Airplay is and ever will be if Apple keeps it proprietary.
    03-02-13 02:52 PM
    My problem with the iPhone lately has been this: what am I paying the premium for? Off-contract, I can pickup the Z10 for $650. iPhone 5? $700. For the extra money, I get no NFC, no microSD slot, an aging OS with poor multitasking, and internal hardware that pales compared to the competition. Build quality? The Z10 is built every bit as well as the iPhone. Reliability? The last few iOS updates have been troubling at best (one of my iPhone-wielding friends had to spend a week with a non-functional phone after an iOS 6 update made it slow to a crawl), while BlackBerry's first BB10 update improved the OS pretty substantially in my experience, as well as the experiences of many others. Apps? A Galaxy S3 is $650 and brings you just as many apps, with a rock-solid, customizable OS, NFC, microSD, and proper multitasking. Simplicity? Nokia Lumia 920 can do that for $600, while blowing every single camera in the industry into the water and bringing a reasonable amount of apps. The wireless charging is a nice bonus too.

I really haven't seen a good reason to recommend an iPhone to anyone since the 4S days, when Siri was something pretty innovative for a smartphone. Ever since then, Google Now has trounced Siri, and though BlackBerry Voice Control lacks the same functionality, its voice recognition appears to be better in general. Now, Android is the go-to platform for a very flexible experience, along with a huge app market. BlackBerry's got your communications and productivity covered, along with a nifty, gesture-based OS. Windows Phone can take care of ease-of-use, and the Lumia 920's camera is amazingly good. So where does iOS fit in? I'm sure that its specific combination of assets may well appeal to some. But it's clear that Apple has grown lazy, falling behind the innovation of the competition while continuing to charge more money than comparable phones.
    I agree with some of your post, but to be fair I don't think I would be getting a good bang for my buck by buying a Z10 off contract. The Hub is cool, however I get the same information via the notification center (not to mention the notification that pops up at the top of my page. I disagree agree with you regarding BB having communication/productivity covered. I say that because its missing some big name apps that people use to communicate (not to mention it has inferior FB and twitter apps). iOS/Android is wiping the floor with competition with the competition when comes to business/professional applications. I'm intrigued by the Z10's keyboard. I like the thought of being able to switch languages on the fly (it's kind of annoying on the iPhone). I won't speak about the internal specs (since I know absolutely nothing about that type of stuff, just an average consumer here).

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    03-02-13 02:59 PM
125 1234 ...