As many here are very interested in BB10's M2M, distributed systems etc. I have come across quite possibly the best article I have yet to read on the subject as well as QNX technology.

It boggles the mind just how BB10 can be deployed.

Thorsten Heins has made mention on licensing a BB10 reference system. This is very cool. What this would imply is BlackBerry providing a reference system similar to how QNX is deployed now. However QNX would now have a GUI, SDK'S, radio support as well as NOC networking just to name a few.

Here is the link below. A fantastic read

http://www.zdnet.com/blackberry-10-f...ts-7000010650/
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-15-13 at 10:41 PM.
    nyplaya610 and Shanerredflag like this.
    03-15-13 10:22 PM
    Link is broken..

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 10:27 PM
    03-15-13 10:37 PM
    I thought this article was from a while back. Anyway yeah it was a good article and yeah QNX has potential but Thor has to create something out of that potential.
    03-15-13 10:41 PM
    Link is broken..

Posted via CB10
    Link is now fixed
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-15-13 10:42 PM
    Forget about the phone? This is Crackberry, it's all about the phones. I don't think too many smartphone consumers care much about the OS in Nuclear Facilities, or Medical Equipment. What can QNX do for BB10 in the context of consumer devices like the Z10 or Q10 etc.? Are they going to release a BB10 watch? How about some smart glasses, a la Google? I hear a lot about the potential of QNX, but very few specifics that would even significantly differentiate BB10 from iOS or Android or Windows, never mind make it superior! The Playbook didn't live up to the hype of QNX, and then all the hype and delay around the release of the Z10 and sure, it's a nice phone, but it's just another choice. Now we have 4 OS's to choose from instead of three, it may do well, it may not, but it doesn't stand out above the rest, IMO. When will all this potential for QNX be realized in the smartphone sector? I'm sure somebody will say, Oh it's coming, you just wait and see! But shouldn't the initial product launch (I'm not even counting the Playbook here) have included some of this breakthrough functionality, just a little bit? I don't see it, correct me if I'm wrong.
    JamieWynJones likes this.
    03-16-13 12:38 AM
    Forget about the phone? This is Crackberry, it's all about the phones. I don't think too many smartphone consumers care much about the OS in Nuclear Facilities, or Medical Equipment. What can QNX do for BB10 in the context of consumer devices like the Z10 or Q10 etc.? Are they going to release a BB10 watch? How about some smart glasses, a la Google? I hear a lot about the potential of QNX, but very few specifics that would even significantly differentiate BB10 from iOS or Android or Windows, never mind make it superior! The Playbook didn't live up to the hype of QNX, and then all the hype and delay around the release of the Z10 and sure, it's a nice phone, but it's just another choice. Now we have 4 OS's to choose from instead of three, it may do well, it may not, but it doesn't stand out above the rest, IMO. When will all this potential for QNX be realized in the smartphone sector? I'm sure somebody will say, Oh it's coming, you just wait and see! But shouldn't the initial product launch (I'm not even counting the Playbook here) have included some of this breakthrough functionality, just a little bit? I don't see it, correct me if I'm wrong.
    QNX did actually live up to the hype on the PB launch. It was the software offering that was lacking.
    03-16-13 01:10 PM
    great read
    03-16-13 07:19 PM
    So you speak for everyone on here...nice. Did you read the article or just skim through? I am not the original OP but that's fine...kinda proves my point.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 07:29 PM
    Read it a month ago, when I was researching for this piece of device I am currently typing on right now.
    03-16-13 07:30 PM
    The potential for the platform is just staggering. Hopefully the innovation and product/service deployments will be rapid
    04-02-13 01:51 PM
    I totally agree with what has been written in the article but I also 100% agree with Iamanonymous62 statement. I keep reading about QNX'es potential but potential alone is not good enough. I have the potential to be a great programmer but I am too lazy and if the talent isn't used then it's going to be wasted.

BlackBerry can not afford to be playing catch up, they have been playing at that way too long. They need to be innovators and lead from the front.

Show us what QNX can do, instead of just talking about it's potential!
    missing_K-W likes this.
    04-02-13 04:46 PM
    Show us what QNX can do, instead of just talking about it's potential!
    They are though! Look at all the stuff packed into the Z10, including some awesome features you don't find most other places. And it's only a 1.0, basically. Or maybe a 2.0 or 3.0, depending on how much you count the PlayBook. Either way, it's already great but it's also early days for the platform.

I'm just still amazed when I try things like setting up to copy a couple of gigs of videos, over WiFi, from my PC to my Z10, and then I forget all about it, plug the thing into HDMI on my TV, and start streaming a movie from BBWorld and it all just works.

And a while later I suddenly realize what it's doing, and that my PC can barely manage the same load let alone output to my TV like that.

Sure, it hasn't lived up to ALL its potential yet, but it's already delivering functionality, reliability, and performance that we can trace back directly to QNX.
    04-02-13 05:10 PM
    They are though! Look at all the stuff packed into the Z10, including some awesome features you don't find most other places. And it's only a 1.0, basically. Or maybe a 2.0 or 3.0, depending on how much you count the PlayBook. Either way, it's already great but it's also early days for the platform.

I'm just still amazed when I try things like setting up to copy a couple of gigs of videos, over WiFi, from my PC to my Z10, and then I forget all about it, plug the thing into HDMI on my TV, and start streaming a movie from BBWorld and it all just works.

And a while later I suddenly realize what it's doing, and that my PC can barely manage the same load let alone output to my TV like that.

Sure, it hasn't lived up to ALL its potential yet, but it's already delivering functionality, reliability, and performance that we can trace back directly to QNX.
    Very powerful given the hardware. As more software is released BB10 is going to evolve at a rapid pace. Software is already top notch. Imagine the performance on quad core? Just amazing limitless possibilities moving forward
    04-02-13 05:27 PM

It's undisputed that QNX is lightyears ahead of ARM. QNX has a strong and extremely positive future and I don't doubt for one second that realistically it is the best mobile processor, however the average consumer doesn't care what specs it has under the hood like you or I.

All they can see is how the phone will work for them and make their lives easier, not to mention the apps! I've waited for 2 years for the platform to launch and I am a big supporter of BlackBerry....I just wish sometimes that we are 2-3 years further into QNX development than where we are now.

I guess I'm running before I can walk.
    Last edited by JamieWynJones; 04-02-13 at 05:35 PM. Reason: JVM to ARM.
    04-02-13 05:34 PM
    Good discussion about QNX in this earlier thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=774931

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 08:24 PM
    It's funny how people just expect potential to be realized in a year or two. I cant tell you if blackberry will realize qnx potential but I know they will try. You can't just expect it to be there finished.
    04-02-13 08:27 PM
    BlackBerry World should showcase a lot of the future
    04-03-13 12:15 PM
    Good article, thanks for posting the link. Interesting to think about what might be coming with QNX in the (hopefully near) future.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    04-03-13 08:30 PM