I think a good strategy that RIM could use to move more units is to have exclusive content. I know they have BBM, and they are expanding on that. But several other exclusive hit �Apps� would go a long way.

One of the correlations I see in the smart phone space is how it seems similar to the video game console space of the 80�s and 90�s and early 2000�s. You had a dominant player in Nintendo (RIM) and competitors come along, like Sega (Nokia), and then Sony Play station (Apple).

Nintendo (RIM) fights its way through the Sega (Nokia) phase by having exclusive titles, such as Mario and Zelda.

Sony Play station (Iphone 3) comes along and starts eating Nintendo�s (RIM�s) lunch, but Nintendo answer back with their Mario and Zelda (BBM), but need to add Golden Eye 007 to the mix to move consoles.

They survive the first onslaught, but then Playstation2 (Iphone 4) comes along, and Nintendo (RIM) seems to slip into oblivion. Why? Well there are several reasons, but the big one is that the Play station 2 had unique play station titles and the Nintendo GameCube was still relying on Mario and Zelda to move consoles.

It wasn�t until Nintendo invented the Wii that we saw them rise from the ashes. Luckily they had Game boy and DS revenue to get them through the onslaught.

Regardless of this analogy, I think what RIM needs is more exclusive content. And it has to be awesome.

An �Only for Blackberry� campaign would go a lot further (IMO) than their current BeBold campaign.

If they can get some exclusive app titles (and I�m not talking video games here, they can be any "must have" apps) then they will move more units. BBM is their Mario, but they need something new.

I think Apple is trying this strategy with siri, and just imagine if Google did this with some of their awesome services.

I think if they want to start moving units in the US (and the rest of the western world) they will need some exclusive titles (not just the same stuff you can get on an android device, though they need all that too).

That is my thought, and I am interested in other�s opinions.
    ridemaster likes this.
    01-26-12 11:02 PM
    BBM, BB Traffic, BB Maps, PlayBook with bridge, push email, BIS, full BES, BES Express, BBM Music, BBM connected apps, BB Protect, Auto Text. Those are exclusive off the top of my head.
    JAGWIRE likes this.
    01-27-12 12:09 AM
    My point was not just exclusive. But exclusive things that move units. I don't think a lot of consumers are going to chose blackberry for bbmaps, or BES, or BB protect. I personally think giggle had the superior map app, and as a consumer BES means nothing to me. BB protect? Who cares. And bbm music etc is just mario bros 3 imo
    01-27-12 12:23 AM
    great analogy! and i half agree with you. They do need something in the AppWorld to stand out from everyone else. I al agree with Wolf that they already have a lot of exclusive apps that, I've heard, are great(no reason for them in my area so haven't tried them). i think they should advertise more with BB Travel and BB Traffic and especially BB Protect.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-27-12 12:38 AM
    My point was not just exclusive. But exclusive things that move units. I don't think a lot of consumers are going to chose blackberry for bbmaps, or BES, or BB protect. I personally think giggle had the superior map app, and as a consumer BES means nothing to me. BB protect? Who cares. And bbm music etc is just mario bros 3 imo
    I agree, but don't think you realize the advantages most of the apps I listed have over the competition, nor what they mean to most BlackBerry users.

BES express is great for families with BlackBerries. BB Protect is an outstanding bit of protection with remote wipe, along with features like automatic backup, archiving, location discovery, and the loudest ring you'll ever hear, should it disappear behind the couch. BB Maps has quite a few nice features, including on time direction recalculating on OS 7.1. BBMM, if you don't get how cool a selling point that is, there's nothing I can say to convince you.

Travel is another one that's damn sweet. Thanks Jagwire!
    01-27-12 09:17 AM
    well if rim has these must have exclusive blackberry apps, then I think they need to get the message out, because word of mouth isn't working.

I don't think android users are seeing their friends bb protect app in use, or else they don't see it as a must have app.

I think bb music is an added value to current bb owners, but if you are like me, and have no friends with a bb, then it does not entice me to go out and get a new bb.

but if I go to my friends house and he gets me to play some four player golden eye 007 on his n64. I say to myself... I gotta get an n64.

maybe bb already has this. but I haven't seen anything that says... I gotta get a bb.

correct me if I'm wrong.
    01-27-12 10:19 AM
    well if rim has these must have exclusive blackberry apps, then I think they need to get the message out, because word of mouth isn't working.

I don't think android users are seeing their friends bb protect app in use, or else they don't see it as a must have app.

I think bb music is an added value to current bb owners, but if you are like me, and have no friends with a bb, then it does not entice me to go out and get a new bb.

but if I go to my friends house and he gets me to play some four player golden eye 007 on his n64. I say to myself... I gotta get an n64.

maybe bb already has this. but I haven't seen anything that says... I gotta get a bb.

correct me if I'm wrong.
    They do need to market more, and they've addressed this need.

I don't think most BlackBerry users are aware of BB Protect, and doubt anyone is showing their friends.

If you saw BBMM, and were a music lover who used their phone to play music regularly, you might think differently.

You have any 4 player games on that SII? Speaking of that though, there are a lot of BBM connect games out there, you can play with many people.
    01-27-12 11:36 AM
    You have any 4 player games on that SII?
    Fair enough. But on that topic, I suppose I bought the SII because a friend of mine had one and I loved the big screen. Like my blackberry torch completely removed my need to access my email on my PC, my SII completely removed my need to surf the internet on my PC.

But there is no exclusive google app that drew me to android. I do love the exclusive google sky map (it’s awesome and only on android), but it is not a, “I must get rid of my blackberry and get an android” app. The 4.3 inch screen was that for me (and I believe that RIM is fixing that issue with the BB10 phone).

But this brings me to my point. RIM missed the boat on moving units based on such things as screen size, processing power, and UI, ffcameras, etc. Android already did all that to move their units. Yes RIM has to meet these new standards, but they need that one thing that says, “I must get rid of my Iphone/android and get a blackberry.... Because I need that feature/app/etc.”

I think a blow away exclusive title would help. Some app that sets them apart from the competition.

I’m not going to pretend I know what that app is. But for the n64 it was Zelda Ocarina of Time and Golden Eye 007.

Does RIM have to develop this app themselves? I don’t think so. But they need a creative developer that will do an exclusive title for them, like Rareware did for the n64.

(Interesting side note, Rareware made several hit exclusives for Nintendo. Rareware made money selling the software, and Nintendo made money because the Rareware software helped moved millions of extra n64 consoles. When Microsoft bought Rareware, and made them an exclusive xbox developer, they were no longer able to create hit titles).

So yes, RIM will still need its bbapp this and bbapp that. But a few hit exclusives (I think) would go a long way in moving units.

And wouldn’t it be great when your friend shows off his siri app for his iphone to be able to say, “oh yeah, well check this out” and then you pull out you bb10 and smoothly move through the UI to the awesome exclusive bb app, and then your iphone friend all of a sudden can’t put down your bb, because they are hooked.
    01-27-12 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD