Hi all. This is a noobie first post so please bear with me.

I have had a 9900 for the last 5 months on Vodafone (first BB) and as much as I liked the phone I finally got sick of it's poor reception issues. I sold it on ebay and I have a new 9790 coming today, which is unlocked to all networks.

Before selling the 9900 I backed it up then did a master reset. My question is, can I use that backup to transfer all my contacts, texts, emails etc to the new 9790, or do I have to start from scratch again? If this is possible could someone walk me through it, or direct me to a link that has instructions.

Thanks guys and sorry if this has been covered before.

Andy
    04-09-12 03:23 AM
    Yes you can use the backup of the 9900 to load everything to the 9790.

Connect the phone to Desktop Manager and click restore and use the 9900 backup.

Are you on Vodafone India?? Regarding reception issues.
    04-09-12 03:30 AM
    Hi all. This is a noobie first post so please bear with me.

I have had a 9900 for the last 5 months on Vodafone (first BB) and as much as I liked the phone I finally got sick of it's poor reception issues. I sold it on ebay and I have a new 9790 coming today, which is unlocked to all networks.

Before selling the 9900 I backed it up then did a master reset. My question is, can I use that backup to transfer all my contacts, texts, emails etc to the new 9790, or do I have to start from scratch again? If this is possible could someone walk me through it, or direct me to a link that has instructions.

Thanks guys and sorry if this has been covered before.

Andy
    what reception issues did you have with the 9900. Poor battery life is well known. But poor reception ?
    Were you able to wipe and reinstall the os and check the reception before you sold it off.

If you had poor reception on 9900, I don't think 9790 can help you either. Before you invest in another mobile, can you try with any other bb or for that matter any other mobile.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    04-09-12 04:51 AM
    Yes you can use the backup of the 9900 to load everything to the 9790.

Connect the phone to Desktop Manager and click restore and use the 9900 backup.

Are you on Vodafone India?? Regarding reception issues.
    I am on vodafone India. Is it related to bb or any mobile in general.

04-09-12 04:53 AM
    I am on vodafone India. Is it related to bb or any mobile in general.
    Nothing to do with Vodafone. More country specific. In India if helps if you select 2G Only option in network mode if you are not a 3G subscriber. Basically if you allow 2G and 3G then the phone keeps searching for 3G signal and keeps switching between 2G and 3G . So network issues come up.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-09-12 09:03 AM
    what reception issues did you have with the 9900. Poor battery life is well known. But poor reception ?
    Were you able to wipe and reinstall the os and check the reception before you sold it off.

If you had poor reception on 9900, I don't think 9790 can help you either. Before you invest in another mobile, can you try with any other bb or for that matter any other mobile.

Hi again. Thanks for replies, new phone up and running. For those that asked, I am on Vodafone UK.

Truthfully! I loved the 9900. It was my first smartphone and my first Blackberry and it worked really well most of the time. However, it let me down really badly on a recent ski trip to the USA. I was in Colorado for 10 days, split 5 days in two different locations. At the first location the phone worked fine. No issues roaming whatsoever. When I arrived at the second location I could not pick up any coverage at all. I was with two friends, one had an iPhone and the other a BB 9780, both on Vodafone Uk,they were both picking up AT&T with a full signal. I couldn't get anything, even with a manual search for network. I tried hard and soft reboot but to no avail. In the end I tried my sim card in my friend's 9780 and got perfect signal straight away.

Last week I was in Warwickshire and had exactly the same problem. No signal, while friend's 9780 had 3 bars showing, again on Vodafone.

That's why I outed the 9900. I went for the 9790 on the assumption that it would be a slightly nicer version of my friends 9780. I guess time will tell.

The battery life on the 9900 was also poor, but that is pretty well documented. I am a light to moderate user, mainly phone calls, text and email with very little Internet and I could just about get a day out of it. Every other phone I have had usually lasts 3 - 4 days on one charge. It will be interesting to see how the 9790 compares. I'll keep you posted.

Andy
    04-09-12 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD