I currently have an 8350i BoostBerry and would like to move up to either a 9650 or 9700. My 8350i is iDen, but not sure if either of the 2 other choices are the same. Could someone please help me figure out which is which? Thanks!
    09-18-10 08:44 PM
    If you want to keep Sprint as your carrier, you could upgrade to the 9650. It is dual CDMA/GSM, and it is the most current BlackBerry offered by Sprint. The 9650 will not work on Nextel's iDEN network, but Sprint is the parent company that owns Nextel, so you could switch over from Nextel to Sprint if you are due for an upgrade.

The 9700 is a GSM only device which will not work on Sprint (a CDMA carrier) or Nextel (iDEN). AT&T and T-Mobile offer the 9700.
    09-18-10 08:51 PM
    Sorry, guess I didn't make it clear, i am on Boost, not Sprint or Nextel. Maybe I'm confused...lol. It has a sim card, so maybe that makes a difference...? I got the torch when it first came out and got on the AT&T wagon, but their rates are ridiculous...don't mind changing to Sprint, though. I'm paying $50 a month for unlimited everything on Boost, but no BBM or BB email, of course, but I can live w/o that.
    09-18-10 08:57 PM
    Sorry, guess I didn't make it clear, i am on Boost, not Sprint or Nextel. Maybe I'm confused...lol. It has a sim card, so maybe that makes a difference...? I got the torch when it first came out and got on the AT&T wagon, but their rates are ridiculous...don't mind changing to Sprint, though. I'm paying $50 a month for unlimited everything on Boost, but no BBM or BB email, of course, but I can live w/o that.
    The SIM cards for iDEN and GSM are completely different. The Torch will only work on AT&T or T-Mobile. It will not work on Nextel or Boost.

As far as I know, the only device on Boost that will offer full BIS is the 8330, but you have to buy a Boost branded one. Even though Boost 8330 uses Sprint's CDMA network and is a subsidiary of Sprint, they will not activate a regular Sprint 8330.

If you switch to Sprint, you can get the 9650, which is currently the best BlackBerry CDMA device.

Even though the 9650 has a SIM card, it will not work on the iDEN network. It is for use on GSM carriers' networks. If you have Sprint as your carrier, you can use the 9650 even if the SIM card is removed.

Sprint has another subsidiary called Virgin Mobile that offers the 8530, but again, you have to buy a Virgin branded phone. You cannot use a Sprint branded phone on Virgin.

I hope this helps.

Sorry for misunderstanding your carrier.
    Last edited by lak611; 09-18-10 at 09:21 PM.
    09-18-10 09:18 PM
    Ohhh, okay, now I see. I've needed to put my model and carrier next to my avatar for some time now so that members know what I have and what carrier it's on, so no better time than now...lol. I did give the 8330 a try, but the coverage at home was lousy, so I went back to the 8350i, which works excellent basically wherever I go. Maybe I should leave well enough alone, but loved the OS6 that was on the torch and would've liked to have either the 9650 or the 9700 and have the chance of having the OS6 once again. Guess I'll just hang onto the trusty ole 8350i until something really great comes from RIM...no problem with the misunderstanding and thanks for your help!
    09-18-10 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD