View Poll Results: Which phone should I get?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • BlackBerry Curve 8530

4 30.77%
  • Motorola Droid 1

9 69.23%
    Hi, after a lot of comparing and testing the phones out, I still need some help, and hopefully someone here can set me straight. It's come down to either the Curve 8530, or the Droid. The BlackBerry would be free, and the Droid would be around $50. I'm coming from a Voyager now, so either of these will be my first smart phone.

Things to keep in mind:
    -Internet isn't a main selling feature, but apps like Facebook and Twitter are.
    -I have an iPod Touch, so I don't need a game machine.
    -I tried texting on the Droid today and the top row of keys felt a little cramped, is that a problem or will I get used to it?

Question time!
    1) Since the Curve 8530 (supposedly) won't be able to get 6.0, what features will I miss out on if I decide to get the BlackBerry?
    2) Which device will last me longer, without feeling outdated and old, and last easily until my next upgrade in two years?
    3) I text and check my email a lot, which device has better battery life?
    4) Is there any difference in call quality?

Any advice you can offer will be great, thanks!
    08-31-10 02:55 PM
    Curve has bettery batter life...

TBH, your main question should be android vs blackberry, in which YOU have to decided which one is better for YOU.

The curve keys are excellent for typing. Emails and texting on the blackberry, in MY own opinion, is better. You have a touch for apps and media, so a blackberry would probably be better for YOU.
    08-31-10 02:58 PM
    Droid 1 is def better than the curve! A better comparison would be the droid vs BOLD. If I were choosing between those two phones I would c how easy it is to type on the virtual kb. If it is something you think you could learn to enjoy than to me it is a no brainer go with the droid! The curve will be outdated very quickly while the droid is actually faster than any new BB and its been out for a year! RIM is in a bad spot right now, I have lost faith in them
    08-31-10 03:03 PM
    Curve has bettery batter life...

TBH, your main question should be android vs blackberry, in which YOU have to decided which one is better for YOU.

The curve keys are excellent for typing. Emails and texting on the blackberry, in MY own opinion, is better. You have a touch for apps and media, so a blackberry would probably be better for YOU.
    IMO Droid has a little better battery life than the curve. Droid and BOLD are fairly close in battery life
    08-31-10 03:05 PM
    I would get the Droid. It is super fast with Froyo, and has a lot of nice feature. Also, do you need the physical keyboard? If not, the Droid has an onscreen keyboard you can use as well. I got use to the physical keyboard real quick, many people hated it and many people enjoyed it. I never had a problem with it.

Email on the Droid IMO is better. You get to view email like you were viewing it on a computer. Full HTML and folder support out of the box. I also enjoy messaging more on Android to to the extreme customization and how I can set notifications up.

Call quality on the Droid is great. It is Motorola. Any device I have ever owned on them had good call quality at the very least. After owning the Droid for almost a year, I had no complaints in that department. Also, battery life is great. I easily get 1.5 days on a single charge. I charge every night when I sleep though so it is never a problem.

Android has a better selection of apps. So take that into consideration.

Both devices sound suitable for you though, just test them both ut a little more and see which one you like better.
    08-31-10 03:08 PM
    It sounds like the curve 85XX will work better for you since you text, email, and want good battery life. The droid is better in every aspect like apps, internet, and screen.
    08-31-10 03:41 PM
    It sounds like the curve 85XX will work better for you since you text, email, and want good battery life. The droid is better in every aspect like apps, internet, and screen.
    Google Talk Built in
    Push Google Email
    FroYo supports multiple IMAP and POP email accounts
    Multiple Multi-Purpose Clients / tweetdeck, social Scope, Facebook BeeJive similar

The Android is the perfect mix of Apple and Blackberry...

if security is a must then get Blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-10 03:52 PM
    Get the Droid, it blows the hinges off the 8530 overall from lolgaming to media playback to apps. Texting is universal on nearly every platform, this is no advantage here for anyone and RIMs "email advantage" is virtually non-exsistent with the major 3 support push email for other platforms.

With the ability to mod the phone to the teeth there is zero reason to pick the Curve over the Droid.
    08-31-10 03:58 PM
    The Droid is a much better phone than the 8530.

08-31-10 04:10 PM
    Droid, for the simple fact it's still a supported platform. The Droid has Android 2.2, the 8530 isn't going to get BB OS6.
    08-31-10 04:58 PM
    I have had a curve 8530 for 7 months. This is my first blackberry and my last. These phones are archaic. Battery pulls every other day.....slow browser....freezing .....terrible apps that crash the phone. .My new droid X is in the mail as I type this and I bought it sight unseen because anything is better than a BB

09-03-10 08:38 PM
    IMO Droid has a little better battery life than the curve. Droid and BOLD are fairly close in battery life
    Uh, the bold has better battery life than the curve.

The Droid has an average battery life of 6 or so hours, the curve has around a day and a half; the bold more.
    09-03-10 10:21 PM
    Uh, the bold has better battery life than the curve.

The Droid has an average battery life of 6 or so hours, the curve has around a day and a half; the bold more.
    6 hours?
    09-03-10 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD