As if 10 years ago, people bought Blackberrys only after doing careful research about the capabilities of the phone compared to Palm or Nokia and not because they saw a lot of people at work or on the train with one. Are you telling me that those people were smarter about smartphones than people are now?

This thread is precious.
    bbq10l likes this.
    03-08-14 08:09 AM
    The problem is that you need to change the publics perception and word of mouth in favor of BlackBerry, which means to a large extent the media and distribution partners. But the point is that the media and distribution partners will always talk about and push the devices that are already popular by sales. And you can't change this overnight with even $5B in marketing spendings.
    I agree. The problem is that it's a catch 22 scenario. Carriers won't sell what consumers won't buy, and consumers won't buy without carrier support (and of course without knowing that BB10 exists as a viable alternative in the first place). Something in this vicious cycle has to change, but I'm not sure what that would be.
    03-08-14 08:18 AM
    As if 10 years ago, people bought Blackberrys only after doing careful research about the capabilities of the phone compared to Palm or Nokia and not because they saw a lot of people at work or on the train with one. Are you telling me that those people were smarter about smartphones than people are now?

This thread is precious.
    How can you even compare the smartphone climate 10 years ago to the climate now?? Mobile computing is sooooo much different now, and people's needs in a smart device vary wildly. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.
    03-08-14 08:24 AM
    I agree. The problem is that it's a catch 22 scenario. Carriers won't sell what consumers won't buy, and consumers won't buy without carrier support (and of course without knowing that BB10 exists as a viable alternative in the first place). Something in this vicious cycle has to change, but I'm not sure what that would be.
    Well the z3 is definitely a great way to start. Try and get the last people on fliphones to choose bb10 when upgrading.

Also here's how I know marketing now is still not working : wp8 was marketed by Microsoft a lot..a lot and they were able to do decently in other markets....but not the US. the us is already like carved up and will look that way until either apple or Samsung screw up and pull a blackberry to give others an outside chance

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 08:26 AM

This thread is precious.
    Nope difference being you are on crackberry so obviously 10 years ago if you wanted to see this same thread you could have found it on a competitor fan site.

Same scenario, different group complaining

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 08:27 AM
    The problem is that you need to change the publics perception and word of mouth in favor of BlackBerry, which means to a large extent the media and distribution partners. But the point is that the media and distribution partners will always talk about and push the devices that are already popular by sales. And you can't change this overnight with even $5B in marketing spendings.
    That is the toughest part because in the years leading up to BB10, and even after, the media got use to reporting the decline and bad news coming from RIM, and people got so use to hearing it until it became synonymous with outdated unpopular mobile devices. The public perception is not an overnight fix as you said but it can be done.

It's not impossible to come from nowhere and gain a large chunk of the mobile market. 8-10 years ago it was dominated by RIM, Palm, and Windows Mobile. But the product must be a complete game changer and not simply a me too product. Palm merged a phone with a PDA. RIM took it one step further by absolutely nailing the mobile communication experience with a dash of BES on top. Apple did it with the iPhone by completely changing the definition of the smartphone that was earlier defined by Palm and RIM. Android OS was successful as a competitor as it pivoted quickly enough after the first iPhone, and that it was somewhat of an anti-iOS with its licencesable and somewhat open nature.

Right now, BB10 is a great upgrade for existing BBOS users, but it offers little incentive for those on iOS or Android to switch - there is a lot of nice to have in the OS, but nothing must have. In short, it's viewed more as a catch up product. Today, I can say that I could probably get by with any of the major OSs as a daily driver. They all do the basics like email well enough. I like the BB10 UI on my Z10 as much as I like the app selection and simplistic elegance of iOS on my iPad, and the way I can setup my Nexus 5 exactly how I want to. Sure they all have their individual weaknesses as well, but ultimately they all get the same job done in their own way. Someone will need to come up with the next revolutionary change in the smartphone if they wish to upset the existing pecking order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    pantlesspenguin and TgeekB like this.
    03-08-14 11:14 AM
    I agree with you these are the same people when they can't use their BlackBerry phones, they give them a bad name. Over the last few years I've seen how they ignore their app updates, and OS updates and expect the phone to work normal. Most of them will have no BlackBerry Protect working on their phones, outdated apps and OS and have locked out of their BlackBerry ID and when you explain to them a smartphone is a mini mobile PC and works in the same way as their desktop PC, the same things are required for it to work properly they give you a funny look. There's nothing more annoying than a smartphone with a dumb owner.

Z10 10.2.1.2141
    Mangelhaft likes this.
    03-08-14 11:17 AM
    Maybe consumers wouldn't be so "dumb" about their smartphone choices if Blackberry ran an ad now and then showing why BB10 might be a good fit for someone as their smartphone. No one outside of Crackberry IMO SHOULD know about BB10 because Blackberry hasn't told anybody about it, save for a few really terrible ads back when it launched.
    bbq10l likes this.
    03-08-14 12:11 PM
    That is the toughest part because in the years leading up to BB10, and even after, the media got use to reporting the decline and bad news coming from RIM, and people got so use to hearing it until it became synonymous with outdated unpopular mobile devices. The public perception is not an overnight fix as you said but it can be done.

It's not impossible to come from nowhere and gain a large chunk of the mobile market. 8-10 years ago it was dominated by RIM, Palm, and Windows Mobile. But the product must be a complete game changer and not simply a me too product. Palm merged a phone with a PDA. RIM took it one step further by absolutely nailing the mobile communication experience with a dash of BES on top. Apple did it with the iPhone by completely changing the definition of the smartphone that was earlier defined by Palm and RIM. Android OS was successful as a competitor as it pivoted quickly enough after the first iPhone, and that it was somewhat of an anti-iOS with its licencesable and somewhat open nature.

Right now, BB10 is a great upgrade for existing BBOS users, but it offers little incentive for those on iOS or Android to switch - there is a lot of nice to have in the OS, but nothing must have. In short, it's viewed more as a catch up product. Today, I can say that I could probably get by with any of the major OSs as a daily driver. They all do the basics like email well enough. I like the BB10 UI on my Z10 as much as I like the app selection and simplistic elegance of iOS on my iPad, and the way I can setup my Nexus 5 exactly how I want to. Sure they all have their individual weaknesses as well, but ultimately they all get the same job done in their own way. Someone will need to come up with the next revolutionary change in the smartphone if they wish to upset the existing pecking order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Totally agree. Either you launch a game changing product or you make a name for yourself by delivering highclass competitive products multiple times in a row. The latter is BlackBerrys option, but it'll take 2-3 BB10 phone iterations until it's able to make a dent. It's a position the 2014 HTC One will be in likely.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-08-14 12:16 PM
109 ... 345