Most Secure Android Phone | Android Central

"The Google Pixel is the most secure Android phone you can buy, and one of the most secure phones of any available today."

They don't have enough info on BB or is this the case and BB just says its the most secure phone in the world?
    04-14-17 10:21 AM
    I would suggest you re-read the article especially in regards to PRIV and DTEK60. The Pixel is the most secure in AC's opinion. They even note BlackBerry releases security patches in some cases prior to Google.
    04-14-17 10:25 AM
    I would suggest you re-read the article especially in regards to PRIV and DTEK60. The Pixel is the most secure in AC's opinion. They even note BlackBerry releases security patches in some cases prior to Google.
    And..? "the bootloader and application manager use what BlackBerry calls a root of trust so that the phone just won't work if software is able to get through the first line of defense. We've put that to the test, and while hyperbole usually surrounds any claim coming from a company who wants your money, this one rings true."

Article basically states that "most secure android phone" is a sales tag line.
    Last edited by niklow; 04-14-17 at 10:43 AM.
    04-14-17 10:31 AM
    Most Secure Android Phone | Android Central

"The Google Pixel is the most secure Android phone you can buy, and one of the most secure phones of any available today."

They don't have enough info on BB or is this the case and BB just says its the most secure phone in the world?
    The Pixel, according to them, has the combination of update schedule (always monthly, no voodoo like it is with the BB devices on carriers/for the April 2017 update), openness ("Equally important, but often overlooked, is transparency. You shouldn't have to trust a company when they say something is secure or updated, and the Android code for both the platform version and all updates is available for anyone to take a look at. Plenty of people do, and despite any opinions to the contrary, Android, as written, has proven to be a very secure platform.") and actual usability. Note that of all the phones in the list only the Pixel is on Nougat, so only the Pixel gets all this good stuff. BlackBerry's lower-level tweaks, as is implied by the ranking, don't even the playing field.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt, Uzi and xandros9 like this.
    04-14-17 11:51 AM
    is it the same phone you can unlock using a high def photo of yourself?
    04-14-17 12:58 PM
    04-14-17 01:29 PM
    Which highlights the importance of updates.....

Linux is used much more today, so more people today are looking at it's weakness.
    04-14-17 01:36 PM
    The important thing to note is according to this version of that article,as mentioned, Blackberry now pushes monthly updates as well.

Why It's Important to Install Security Updates
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.FiwA-

Most Secure Android Phone: Google Pixel?-img_1492198551.249138.jpg
    04-14-17 02:36 PM
    Articles like these somewhat undermines BlackBerrys only positive spin on going android in a way.
    04-14-17 03:06 PM
    is it the same phone you can unlock using a high def photo of yourself?
    No, that's the S8.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-14-17 04:34 PM
    Articles like these somewhat undermines BlackBerrys only positive spin on going android in a way.
    I doubt anyone outside CB is buying BlackBerry Android devices for security.
    4_life and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    04-14-17 04:48 PM
    The Pixel, according to them, has the combination of update schedule (always monthly, no voodoo like it is with the BB devices on carriers/for the April 2017 update), openness ("Equally important, but often overlooked, is transparency. You shouldn't have to trust a company when they say something is secure or updated, and the Android code for both the platform version and all updates is available for anyone to take a look at. Plenty of people do, and despite any opinions to the contrary, Android, as written, has proven to be a very secure platform.") and actual usability. Note that of all the phones in the list only the Pixel is on Nougat, so only the Pixel gets all this good stuff. BlackBerry's lower-level tweaks, as is implied by the ranking, don't even the playing field.
    It's also worth noting that Google publishes OTA updates for Pixel and Nexus devices, so the user can update themselves, regardless of if the carrier pushes the update on time or not.

https://developers.google.com/android/ota

Remember when BlackBerry's spin was the claim to push updates independently​ from carriers? Has that ever happened?

This Nexus 6p is also upgradeable to Android O beta. Long before the first Android N BlackBerry device.

https://developer.android.com/preview/download.html
    04-14-17 05:26 PM
    The important thing to note is according to this version of that article,as mentioned, Blackberry now pushes monthly updates as well.

they always have pushed monthly updates, or so they say.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    04-14-17 05:36 PM
    I do wonder how they can say the Pixel is better than Blackberry Android then?

Might have been a slightly biased article perhaps.
    04-14-17 06:55 PM
    I'm waiting...
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-14-17 07:03 PM
    I'm waiting...
    notice the end of my comment....im just toting the company line lol
    04-14-17 08:28 PM
    I didn't experience any security breaches on my stock android phone even without monthly/daily security patch.
    So what's security people here are branging up about actually?
    04-15-17 12:51 AM
    I didn't experience any security breaches on my stock android phone even without monthly/daily security patch.
    So what's security people here are branging up about actually?
    Just go with it.

Android is a scary, scary place.
    04-15-17 08:12 AM
    Although the Pixel can be rooted. Quite a feature for the 'most secure' device on the list eh? And obviously one AC doesn't consider critical to its rating scheme. How convenient. Of course, the Pixel does have the newest OS, a better camera, and the latest QC chipset. I'm sure none of those features counted for much. Lol.
    04-15-17 10:39 AM
    Although the Pixel can be rooted. Quite a feature for the 'most secure' device on the list eh? And obviously one AC doesn't consider critical to its rating scheme. How convenient. Of course, the Pixel does have the newest OS, a better camera, and the latest QC chipset. I'm sure none of those features counted for much. Lol.
    Don't root your device, and you're good. The ability to root is necessarily a drawback. It's not like a nefarious party can run the process remotely.
    04-15-17 01:50 PM
    Don't root your device, and you're good. The ability to root is necessarily a drawback. It's not like a nefarious party can run the process remotely.
    That's the whole point. With BlackBerry Android you can't. And neither can anyone else. Make sense?
    04-15-17 06:31 PM
    That's the whole point. With BlackBerry Android you can't. And neither can anyone else. Make sense?
    As far as I know, unless I say otherwise, a Pixel in my possession cannot be rooted.

How does the BlackBerry Android beat that in the real world?

Now, if someone can root or jailbreak a device remotely, I'm concerned.
    Uzi likes this.
    04-15-17 06:55 PM
    As far as I know, unless I say otherwise, a Pixel in my possession cannot be rooted.

The only time I can remember it made a difference was Quadrooter last year:

This vulnerability is mitigated for all customers by the requirement that an attacker must persuade a user to install a local app running malicious code on the smartphone. An attacker cannot force the user to install a malicious app and the user can only do so if they have turned off the Verify Apps and SafetyNet features. BlackBerry is not aware of any such malicious app exploiting this vulnerability.

Additionally, there are no remote vectors for this vulnerability.

Further, BlackBerry powered by Android smartphones use a unique security system to prevent persistent compromise. Attempts to use this vulnerability to gain persistent local elevated privileges on a BlackBerry Android smartphone are likely to fail with an error. Any compromise would not persist after a reboot.

Finally, side-loading apps on BlackBerry Android smartphones is not permitted by default; users should check the DTEK by BlackBerry application for verification of their security settings.
    BSRT-2016-007 Vulnerability in Qualcomm kernel driver impacts BlackBerry powered by Android smartphones
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    04-15-17 11:51 PM

Because obviously in the 'real world' security only has any meaning if it is applied equally to all devices (and users). If a device can be rooted safely by you but not necessarily by someone else, then from a security standpoint it is still a failure.
    04-16-17 12:06 AM
    As I said before, the average Android user does not Root,thus majority of the bootloaders stay locked.
    04-16-17 12:42 AM
56 123