Lol, whoops! Sorry, Superfly_FR!
    04-19-12 12:14 AM
    Once the smoke settles after BB10 is released, the kids that are still sitting on the fence to either stay with BlackBerry or move on to android/iPhone have made decisions, the MODs and other members can go back to some level of normal activity here on CrackBerry with more time spent helping others and enjoying the forums as opposed to troll hunting, defending RIM, and/or calling out trolls. Over timer, the latter activities has to get very frustrating. Similar to someone scratching a chalkboard.

Sent from me on my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Morty2264 and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-19-12 12:53 AM
    Isn't this merely another example of the kind of thread the OP is sick and tired of?

The only thing I will say is that most of the "troll" threads he is referring to are actually started by BlackBerry users.

Just like this one.

If you guys don't want to hear comparisons, stop making comparisons.
    I am with you. Every day it's these BS threads saying the same thing. If you don't like trollers then don't feed them and stop complaining about them. They will go away if you ignore them. Instead we get these stupid threads daily talking about "fighting the good fight, and let's stay humble because we will win in the end."

I post on here mainly to learn different things about apps and possible improvements that can be made with our phones. Some people seem to want to be preachers and speak from the pulpit on a daily basis. It's becoming really lame in here listening to the whining.
    Yaceka, bobauckland, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    04-19-12 02:25 AM
    Here's what I always thought has been happening.
    I have been an Apple user (not a worshipper) for more than 2 decades and using the iPhone since its first launch. I thought the iPhone was superb (and I do not even play games or watch movies etc on it) and never even thought I would use any other platform. One day I accidentally discovered a BB and thought it was useful for certain purpose. Today, I am using mainly the 9790 and the iPhone occasionally, almost as a data device, and it works quite well for me. This might change at any time but see no reason for now.
    Under such circumstances, nothing bothers me at all, troll or not. I read them as opinions, although some do look like too personal but so what? iToy reference does not bother me at all. I do not even recognize any clear distinction between enterprise and consumer devices. Consumer devices as they can run games and movies? That's silly.

Any forum like this is filled with flame war and so forth but the atmosphere here seems somewhat unique. I do think that this often adversarial silliness is unique to the CB forum at least for now (duck and cover :-). I sometimes wonder why, and my analysis is that people take companies, brands of devices and platforms too personally, and it is being particularly amplified under the present "circumstances". BB fans "always" hate iOS and Android, particularly iOS, and rather like WP7.
    Let's face it, at present, the iOS is a runaway success and the BB is a spectacular failure. This seeps into people's mind, particularly those BB fans who tend to feel insecure or even hold an inferiority complex or something. WP7 is not really a prominent success at this point (i.e., harmless) and that may be the reason why its a second choice of BB fans.

Why that way? (assuming my view is not too far from the truth).

RIM's current debacle has absolutely nothing to do with the choice of BB, and there is no reason to become combative (unless perhaps you are a current RIM employee or invested heavily in RIM). Sometimes, to my eyes, BB fans are just reacting too defensively when some post (particularly when they talk good about the iOS) are simply talking about the facts. I bet this won't be happening if the fortune of iOS and BB was reversed.

Defensive and combative posture only feed what is referred to as trolls. Other sides react and things quickly deteriorate. But just don't criticize the people's "choice" of device, otherwise it becomes personal. I honestly believe that RIM is doing quite badly now, but why does it have anything to do with those who use RIM's products?

But its a good entertainment over all :-). Fight it out, as you wish, folks!
    Last edited by xanadome; 04-19-12 at 07:19 AM. Reason: typo
    04-19-12 03:40 AM
    OP while I agree mostly with you I encourage you to use the ignore feature,
    In this Thread 2 of the many people I ignore posted, and I only had to see their posts due to quoting. There are a few people who always pop into a thread and make snide remarks, and a few that feed off it both positive and negative, those people who frustrate you always, put on ignore,it makes troll threads much faster to read and get the good details from,

If you PM me I'll gladly share my list of ignores to get you started, though I'm sure you have a fair list yourself if you were driven to make such a thread
    OniBerry, jafobabe and CDM76 like this.
    04-19-12 05:53 AM
    OP while I agree mostly with you I encourage you to use the ignore feature,
    In this Thread 2 of the many people I ignore posted, and I only had to see their posts due to quoting. There are a few people who always pop into a thread and make snide remarks, and a few that feed off it both positive and negative, those people who frustrate you always, put on ignore,it makes troll threads much faster to read and get the good details from,

If you PM me I'll gladly share my list of ignores to get you started, though I'm sure you have a fair list yourself if you were driven to make such a thread
    I'd like to see that list done publicly, but know it would get shot down quick. I'll have to start adding to mine again too. I stopped after a while, but probably need to start adding again as there is either a new crop of clowns, or the old ones have new accounts.
    04-19-12 07:12 AM
    I'd like to see that list done publicly, but know it would get shot down quick. I'll have to start adding to mine again too. I stopped after a while, but probably need to start adding again as there is either a new crop of clowns, or the old ones have new accounts.
    I would not do it publicly as it would be the first step in attacking members directly, and I would not want the forums to fall to that,

It is best to keep those conversations out of the public eye, CrackBerry does not need a roast forum
    howarmat, CDM76 and jafobabe like this.
    04-19-12 07:33 AM
    Am I on it?! Uh oh
    04-19-12 07:36 AM
    I would not do it publicly as it would be the first step in attacking members directly, and I would not want the forums to fall to that,

It is best to keep those conversations out of the public eye, CrackBerry does not need a roast forum
    At this time its pretty much in all the forums lol.
    04-19-12 07:38 AM
    Here's what I always thought has been happening.
    I have been an Apple user (not a worshipper) for more than 2 decades and using the iPhone since its first launch. I thought the iPhone was superb (and I do not even play games or watch movies etc on it) and never even thought I would use any other platform. One day I accidentally discovered a BB and thought it was useful for certain purpose. Today, I am using mainly the 9790 and the iPhone occasionally, almost as a data device, and it works quite well for me. This might change at any time but see no reason for now.
    Under such circumstances, nothing bothers me at all, troll or not. I read them as opinions, although some do look like too personal but so what? iToy reference does not bother me at all. I do not even recognize any clear distinction between enterprise and consumer devices. Consumer devices as they can run games and movies? That's silly.

Any forum like this is filled with flame war and so forth but the atmosphere here seems somewhat unique. I do think that this often adversarial silliness is unique to the CB forum at least for now (duck and cover :-). I sometimes wonder why, and my analysis is that people take companies, brands of devices and platforms too personally, and it is being particularly amplified under the present "circumstances". BB fans "always" hate iOS and Android, particularly iOS, and rather like WP7.
    Let's face it, at present, the iOS is a runaway success and the BB is a spectacular failure. This seeps into people's mind, particularly those BB fans who tend to feel insecure or even hold an inferiority complex or something. WP7 is not really a prominent success at this point (i.e., harmless) and that may be the reason why its a second choice of BB fans.

Why that way? (assuming my view is not too far from the truth).

RIM's current debacle has absolutely nothing to do with the choice of BB, and there is no reason to become combative (unless perhaps you are a current RIM employee or invested heavily in RIM). Sometimes, to my eyes, BB fans are just reacting too defensively when some post (particularly when they talk good about the iOS) are simply talking about the facts. I bet this won't be happening if the fortune of iOS and BB was reversed.

Defensive and combative posture only feed what is referred to as trolls. Other sides react and things quickly deteriorate. But just don't criticize the people's "choice" of device, otherwise it becomes personal. I honestly believe that RIM is doing quite badly now, but why does it have anything to do with those who use RIM's products?

But its a good entertainment over all :-). Fight it out, as you wish, folks!
    Pulls up the chair, grabs a popcorn and let the troll show begin.
    Last edited by husainpatan; 04-19-12 at 08:21 AM.
    04-19-12 08:19 AM
    THANK YOU OP!!!! I agree with everything you said, even down to Windows Phone. I've been saying the same thing for a while now.
    04-19-12 09:28 AM
    Most of the BB slamming is over apps and ecosystem. iOS and Android fans use number of apps as their baseline argument, but in terms of complete functionality as a communications and media tool, my choice of WP7 over the other 2 makes it clear to me that I'm more interested in the whole experience as a mobile communications device instead of a pocket-sized game player and movie viewer. If this is what I was after, I could always buy an iPod touch.
    That sentence right there is bait. Android and iOS offer a whole experience as a communication devices, but have the ability to be pocket sized game players.

Also, you realize WP7 has Xbox live integration right? Windows Phone is aiming to be the biggest mobile gaming platform, and has the ability too due to so many Xbox live users.

The thing is, they are ALL pocket sized game players and movie viewers. BB10 will be as well.

An easier way to say what you said without baiting it would have been "I am more interesting in BlackBerry and Windows phone because they offer more of the functionality I am looking for". The way you said it really looks like you just called the devices toys without using the word "toy", and compared smartphones to an iPod touch which IS used as a toy.

I also suggest using the ignore feature. You will probably notice a lot less of those posts. It really does get old, especially when multiple threads are open about the same thing. The trolls will never stop bashing RIM, but you definitely can make it easier on yourself by using the ignore feature.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-19-12 at 09:48 AM.
    04-19-12 09:39 AM
    The trolls will never stop bashing RIM
    BTW, I do bash RIM and have done so in the past, but I have been carefully avoiding bashing RIM vs.BB or those who chose to use it. If I was bashing the "choice" of BB, then I am bashing myself :-).
    I may be attached to a BB but not necessarily married to RIM. I wish RIM do well though, as it will only give us, users, better and wider choices. What would have happened if Apple did not stir up the pot.
    At one point, perhaps last summer or so, I was extremely unhappy with RIM for its vagueness, talk but no delivery etc, particularly on 9900 launch. I was going to become a real convert to BB from iPhone and thought RIM did not let me do so. But then, I began to learn that it was almost RIM's habit. Then, I figured or at least thought that it was caused mostly by one of the half-CEOs, rightly or wrongly.

But the troll is different. If somebody comes here for the sole purpose of stirring up the pot, particularly at the time when RIM is so much down, and BB users are also reeling from it. And if it carried a personal tone, then it would amount to harassment.

But I also thought that BB fans should be somewhat more broad minded, and won't get dragged into negative posts (or troll) too personally. Take it with stride and laugh it out and over, or even tease them :-).

I used to belong to a camera (mostly SLR) forum for a long time. It was about a smaller maker but had good products. Sort of like Subaru in the sea of GM and Toyota etc. People who owned that particular brand of camera was rather proud of their choice when they could easily choose Nikon or Canon. Often N/C users invaded the forum and ill-talk about those who chose that particular camera, or even forum's own members bxxxxxd about the camera bitterly. Actually, those flame wars between veteran members were hotter and wilder than occasional offenders for pleasure. They slugged it out hard, but you could watch it from the armchair and it was fun. Those participated in those wars also knew where to stop, and they normally subsided by itself after a while and everybody knew it would. So, they seldom intervened. Self restraint always worked.

I like to see this forum viewed not as an exclusive fan club, but rather a more inclusive fun/fan site, without attempting to identify some posts as trolls too soon.

But that's just my own opinion and habit. I watch those trolls with giggling and smile. YMMV certainly.
    04-19-12 01:49 PM
    BTW, where is the Lady "Civic"? I joined this forum perhaps at the tail end of her active participation. I remember she popped up briefly after moving to iPhone. And I could see why she left here. As I watched it at the time, she was very harsh and critical of RIM/BB and people piled on her. I thought she was indeed rather opinionated but she was very knowledgeable and I learned a lot form her in early days. I never thought she was trolling but she indeed had very strong opinions. I admired her.
    04-19-12 01:57 PM
    BTW, where is the Lady "Civic"? I joined this forum perhaps at the tail end of her active participation. I remember she popped up briefly after moving to iPhone. And I could see why she left here. As I watched it at the time, she was very harsh and critical of RIM/BB and people piled on her. I thought she was indeed rather opinionated but she was very knowledgeable and I learned a lot form her in early days. I never thought she was trolling but she indeed had very strong opinions. I admired her.
    It looks like she was right in a lot of ways. For instance, she hated truncated e-mails (as did probably everyone who used BIS). The e-mail size has increased with the latest version of BIS and the OS 7 devices. Hopefully truncated e-mails will be a thing of the past once BB10 devices are released, along with EAS/updated BIS.
    xanadome likes this.
    04-19-12 02:02 PM
    I'm tired of the continually renewed necessity for threads like this one. It's not that I don't agree with the OP, as I've started or contributed to many myself. I've got a good number of the usual suspects in my ignore list, but it's almost as annoying to see half a thread 'hidden because so-and-so is on your ignore list' as it is to see their bombastic hyperbole quoted, liked and thanked by their brothers in acrimony (I give you exhibit 1: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...49/index5.html. I honestly cannot for the life of me begin to understand why they are here. But thanks to these few without whose enlightenment my surfing would be so much more peaceful and serene, it has become increasingly irritating and exasperating browsing any of the CB forums. And for that, I bid thee all be fruitful and multiply.
    04-19-12 02:03 PM
    Yes she was knowledgeable, but she was also increasingly obnoxious and incendiary after she dumped her BB, and her vitriol stirred up as many arguments and brand-bashing as any of the 'lay' trolls. Not a good quality for a forum moderator.
    Bobcat665 and xanadome like this.
    04-19-12 02:08 PM
    It looks like she was right in a lot of ways. For instance, she hated truncated e-mails (as did probably everyone who used BIS). The e-mail size has increased with the latest version of BIS and the OS 7 devices. Hopefully truncated e-mails will be a thing of the past once BB10 devices are released, along with EAS/updated BIS.
    Thanks. I remember that thread :-).
    04-19-12 02:28 PM
    Yes she was knowledgeable, but she was also increasingly obnoxious and incendiary after she dumped her BB, and her vitriol stirred up as many arguments and brand-bashing as any of the 'lay' trolls. Not a good quality for a forum moderator.
    Thanks,
    I see. At the time, I was a novice (still am) and learned a lot from her thread. But she was also a bit combative :-). Maybe she did not want to be convinced (i.e., opinionated).
    04-19-12 02:31 PM
    CrackBerry is still good. Just have to do a lot of igoring nowadays!

Go BlackBerry and CrackBerry.

In my business management class I did my project on RIM. I think I got some fellow student excited about BlackBerry again!
    Awesome! Great job!
    04-19-12 02:50 PM

Most of the BB slamming is over apps and ecosystem. iOS and Android fans use number of apps as their baseline argument, but in terms of complete functionality as a communications and media tool, my choice of WP7 over the other 2 makes it clear to me that I'm more interested in the whole experience as a mobile communications device instead of a pocket-sized game player and movie viewer. If this is what I was after, I could always buy an iPod touch.
    Yikes! If that isn't dissing the iphone and android phones/users I don't know what is. But this is the very thing you are complaining about in your thread.

How does that work? I've no intention of switching to either - My 9900 and Playbook do the job for me - however I'd hazard a guess that most users of of other phones also feel they enjoy the experience of a moble communications device as well as gaming and music. I just don't understand how you feel this helps prevent what you're complaining about and it's uneccessary.
    And what about those who actually have both or all three devices? (iphone/Andriod and BB)?
    04-19-12 03:48 PM
    CrackBerry is still good. Just have to do a lot of igoring nowadays!

Go BlackBerry and CrackBerry.

In my business management class I did my project on RIM. I think I got some fellow student excited about BlackBerry again!
    Not to hijack, but this is very cool. I finished up my MBA in 2006, and I really, really wish I had done my final capstone case study on RIM. I have to wonder if my project team of six of the best and brightest would have correctly identified the risks that the company would come to face just one year later.
    jafobabe likes this.
    04-19-12 05:40 PM
    I like all things tech be it different phones or otherwise. As I type this from my MacBook Pro, I often browse these forums on either my iPad 2 or my PlayBook later in the evening or at random times during the day.

I have been lambasted many times for liking my Bold 9700 and being perfectly happy with it as it does everything I need in a smartphone. If I want to game on the go, I have my 4th generation iPod Touch or my Nintendo 3DS which both do quite well without killing the battery on my 'Berry.

I've owned many phones and still have some that are collectables (I just can't float the cash for the Porsche P-981) but have a Mytouch 3G Fender limited edition which the customization didn't limit itself to just the phone, the charger brick and even the headphones have the "sunburst" woodgrain finish complete with the case that holds it all in green felt. Very classy and when new it cost me the same amount that I paid for my 9700 when it was new (bought it outright in full from a T-Mobile retailer)

I love Android and am quite amazed to see how quickly the OS has advanced over such a short time and used to have one of the best Android phones out (HTC Sensation) but decided to part ways with it as the battery life was just awful. Shame that it was a really great looking device.

Now just from a point of practicality, my 9700 is doing everything I need. It works great with my PlayBook and the sound quality on my Bold in calls is hard to beat. I could say the same for music playback as well with the right set of earbuds. My Bold has more low end bass and dynamic range than a few of my iPods. The best sounding 'Berry is actually the one many love to hate and that's the Storm 9530 series.

Through a number of tests it was proven that it sounded better and had a wider dynamic range than the iPhone. That was a real shocker for sure. There is a review and comparison out there and google should pick it up.

That being said. Some are fanboys here of BlackBerry and some are without even knowing it. The site isn't called CrackBerry for nothing

A lot of other traffic are the preachers of other devices trying to say we should move on. I digress though, why replace something that works just fine for what I need? I have every feature on my "old" 9700 series that are on other devices. Voice navigation, webkit browser, Facebook app, YouTube etc.

Nothing wrong with being happy with what you already have.
    louzer likes this.
    04-19-12 11:01 PM
    Not to hijack, but this is very cool. I finished up my MBA in 2006, and I really, really wish I had done my final capstone case study on RIM. I have to wonder if my project team of six of the best and brightest would have correctly identified the risks that the company would come to face just one year later.
    Talking about business cases,I hope to goodness it will prove different, but I was discussing RIM with my husband yesterday mentioning the great hardware, functionality and the brilliant UI which may remain undiscovered by many because it doesn't yet have as many apps as Apple and Android. He shook his head and said " I want RIM to succeed but when I think of RIM I think. Betamax." Superior product, but lost the market to VHS. The reasons VHS became the market leader make an interesting story. It's a bit of a concern (to me at least) that now everyone is betting the house on BB10 phones, because it becomes another "all or nothing" for RIM while Apple and Android battle for top spot. But I doubt anyone could have accurately foretold how fast the technology landscape would change in four years, or how personl smartphones would become.
    04-20-12 08:38 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD