http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23240971

...further proof we just need quality Apps! this App Gap BS is just that BS!

Yes were probably missing 200 Apps everyone wants, but the gap is not as massive as the media is portraying! Give Apples marketing team props for that!

Swiped On My Zed10
    07-10-13 10:46 AM
    Agreed. Which top quality apps would you say we have right now?
    07-10-13 10:48 AM
    Agreed. Which top quality apps would you say we have right now?
    There is tons of quality Apps and games, this is what I have on my Z10 that I use everyday, as I don't keep anything I don't use:

-Blaq
    -CB10
    -CBCNews
    -Kobo
    -CBSSports
    -Soundhound
    -Flixster
    -Sayit
    -NBA JAM
    -Mass Effect Infiltrator
    -Monster Shooter Lost Levels
    -Jetpack Joyride
    -Monopoly Millionaire
    -Plants Vs. Zombies
    -Cut The Rope

Plus I have the browser, all my music (960 albums), contacts, pictures in the native Apps!

* * * Pause

We don't need everyone listing their Apps and games but I'm trying to make a point with a list like mine, like I'm sure we all have... of course I'll probably get flame broiled for saying this but WHAT THE HELL ELSE DO WE NEED?????

For sure the platform needs, an Instagram or whatever it is the kids are using these days, but that's a pretty good list of useful and fun apps and there's hundreds more I don't own, haven't even heard of yet!

My point in closing is that the market has convinced us we need 1000's of Apps (Goog & Apple) I've installed 15.... we needed Apps for sure, but I needed a communication device first! The selling points of this platform is the digital keyboard and the Hub! Having NBA JAM or whatever other fun stuff has just made my Z10 the only device I need!

Swiped On My Zed10
    Just Me likes this.
    07-10-13 11:20 AM
    There is tons of quality Apps and games, this is what I have on my Z10 that I use everyday, as I don't keep anything I don't use:

-Blaq
    -CB10
    -CBCNews
    -Kobo
    -CBSSports
    -Soundhound
    -Flixster
    -Sayit
    -NBA JAM
    -Mass Effect Infiltrator
    -Jetpack Joyride
    -Monopoly Millionaire
    -Plants Vs. Zombies
    -Cut The Rope

Plus I have the browser, all my music (960 albums), contacts, pictures in the native Apps!

* * * Pause

We don't need everyone listing their Apps and games but I'm trying to make a point with a list like mine, like I'm sure we all have... of course I'll probably get flame broiled for saying this but WHAT THE HELL ELSE DO WE NEED?????

For sure the platform needs, an Instagram or whatever it is the kids are using these days, but that's a pretty good list of useful and fun apps and there's hundreds more I don't own, haven't even heard of yet!

My point in closing is that the market has convinced us we need 1000's of Apps (Goog & Apple) I've installed 15.... we needed Apps for sure, but I needed a communication device first! The selling points of this platform is the digital keyboard and the Hub! Having NBA JAM or whatever other fun stuff has just made my Z10 the only device I need!

Swiped On My Zed10
    You sir, you just made my day.
    Rather than focusing on ****ty far and air honk apps, concentrating on quality of avaliable apps would serve us good.

Pulkit Kamal a proud Z10 owner. 24F40D3B
    07-10-13 11:33 AM
    Oh not this BS again. Looks like this myth is bound to come up every month.

This blog posting by the same company (Adeven) which provided the data contradicts the misleading headline.

Although, in theory app zombies can still be downloaded, we concluded that an average zombie is getting zero to ten downloads a day, depending on the country.
    But the fact is, they don't really know. They don't have access to the actual download numbers and are just guessing. They are basing it on Apple's own ranking system, and they define an app zombie as apps not having a ranking. The App store has a very long tail and what's happening here is that Apple decided that below a certain download amount, ranking doesn't provide any value.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-10-13 11:43 AM
    First, if 2/3 of the apps are zombies, there are still 300,000 apps in the app store that aren't.

Second, there are still a lot of professionals who are missing their favourite apps - for example, medical, real estate, carpentry, etc. App store has every app those people would ever need.

But yes, all app stores have a lot of junk apps that nobody would even touch. BB World is no exception.
    07-10-13 11:44 AM
    Keep trollin' Adeven...
    BS from a BS advertising company.

Here's a developer that falls into their "zombie" category explaining just how stupid this "study" is: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421553,00.asp

Here's the kicker:

Adeven has a vested interest in promoting the idea of “invisible” apps since it offers a service to promote titles for developers, and arguing that the so-called “zombies” are in reality the long-tail of software. That could mean bad or unloved apps, or it could mean particularly niche titles that are only really intended to appeal to a small subset of users.
    More Than 2/3 of Apps in iStore never d/led! BB...-iphone5_0128.jpg
    07-10-13 12:01 PM
    Your beef is with the developers for putting out a lot of apps no one cares about. The only reason Apple and Google tout app numbers is to show how significant developer interest in in their platforms. They aren't touting quality but quantity because thats matters when your talking about OS adoption. So neither is wrong for bragging about numbers because they support the exact argument that both companies want. It's us as consumers that decide which apps make the most sense and add value to our lives. So when Blackberry and MS don't have as many apps..... it's not necessary saying their app stores are worse (even though both are missing key apps) it's saying they have less developer interest which influences OS adoption and that would appear to be the case.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 07-10-13 at 12:21 PM.
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    07-10-13 12:04 PM

-Blaq
    -CB10
    -CBCNews
    -Kobo
    -CBSSports
    -Soundhound
    -Flixster
    -Sayit
    -NBA JAM
    -Mass Effect Infiltrator
    -Jetpack Joyride
    -Monopoly Millionaire
    -Plants Vs. Zombies
    -Cut The Rope

* * * Pause

Swiped On My Zed10
    Before NBA JAM, Mass Effect and Plants vs Zombies came out for BB10, you probably would have happily made the same "WHAT THE HELL ELSE DO WE NEED?????" statement.

Yet you went out and bought NBA JAM and Mass Effect.

You will go on to buy more than 10 other apps before 2013 runs out.

"WHAT THE HELL ELSE DO WE NEED?????" Indeed.

You'd think the BB10 devices were the only 'communication devices' out there. Other devices have the same great communication experience (some even better) and have a larger app selection. More apps are needed!
    brucep1 likes this.
    07-10-13 01:21 PM
    Your beef is with the developers for putting out a lot of apps no one cares about. The only reason Apple and Google tout app numbers is to show how significant developer interest in in their platforms. They aren't touting quality but quantity because thats matters when your talking about OS adoption. So neither is wrong for bragging about numbers because they support the exact argument that both companies want. It's us as consumers that decide which apps make the most sense and add value to our lives. So when Blackberry and MS don't have as many apps..... it's not necessary saying their app stores are worse (even though both are missing key apps) it's saying they have less developer interest which influences OS adoption and that would appear to be the case.
    First off I totally see your point!

Second of all I believe the road to success lies in having something like Instagram on the platform just for the sake it can be used as leverage! The only way you drive more users to a platform is having those 20 core apps (Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram)! When those core apps are there, more people will buy more phones, in turn bringing more development!

Swiped On My Zed10
    07-10-13 11:29 PM
    First off I totally see your point!

Second of all I believe the road to success lies in having something like Instagram on the platform just for the sake it can be used as leverage! The only way you drive more users to a platform is having those 20 core apps (Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram)! When those core apps are there, more people will buy more phones, in turn bringing more development!

Swiped On My Zed10
    You are either very excited, or your period button is broken and the only way to end a sentence is an exclamation point...

Anyway, fact is, software matters, and the more there is, the better. Yes, there's a pile of junk in any app store, but you gotta have what people need. It's the same thing that Apple has dealt with for years in personal computers. Apple had a great product with the Mac, in some ways better than Windows, just like BlackBerry does vs. the iPhone and Android. But Windows had the software and the games. No matter how good your computing platform is, if it doesn't have the software to do what you need, it's worthless.

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    07-10-13 11:41 PM
    Before NBA JAM, Mass Effect and Plants vs Zombies came out for BB10, you probably would have happily made the same "WHAT THE HELL ELSE DO WE NEED?????" statement.

Yet you went out and bought NBA JAM and Mass Effect.

You will go on to buy more than 10 other apps before 2013 runs out.

"WHAT THE HELL ELSE DO WE NEED?????" Indeed.

You'd think the BB10 devices were the only 'communication devices' out there. Other devices have the same great communication experience (some even better) and have a larger app selection. More apps are needed!
    Again that was just my ten cents!

I'm not going to sit here and lie to you, of course I will grab more Apps & Games! But I'm making the point that most of those will be wants, not needs! Alex Saunders and his team have done a fantastic job!

But when I read that 2/3 of Apps remain uninstalled or minimally used in one of the biggest App Stores in the world! Especially with the number of times they have toted this in marketing campaigns... this article changes the conversation!

Swiped On My Zed10
    07-10-13 11:50 PM
    No. It doesn't and it's been explained that the "article" is advertising for a company with vested interests.
    07-11-13 12:53 AM
    Again that was just my ten cents!

I'm not going to sit here and lie to you, of course I will grab more Apps & Games! But I'm making the point that most of those will be wants, not needs! Alex Saunders and his team have done a fantastic job!

But when I read that 2/3 of Apps remain uninstalled or minimally used in one of the biggest App Stores in the world! Especially with the number of times they have toted this in marketing campaigns... this article changes the conversation!

Swiped On My Zed10
    It has already been explained to you repeatedly that that article is pure bunk... Not sure why you still fervently cite it as gospel truth.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-11-13 01:38 AM
    Probably for this cause is due to only people using the same app and games that is currently trending. While some gets really popular, the rest just sits there waiting to be downloaded.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 02:28 AM
    You are either very excited, or your period button is broken and the only way to end a sentence is an exclamation point...

Posted via CB10
    I type like that, as I'm always excited!

Swiped On My Zed10
    07-11-13 08:29 AM
    I agree that 900,000 is a huge number and maybe a lot of the apps aren't downloaded much or at all. I think the point is that there is choice. My wife and I use mapmywalk (android, ios, windows) almost daily but it's not available for the playbook or BB10 (although I gather it is available for the older Blackberry's). I couldn't care less about Netflix, Skype etc as never use them but consumers want the choice!
    07-11-13 08:43 AM
    My wife and I use mapmywalk (android, ios, windows) almost daily but it's not available for the playbook or BB10 (although I gather it is available for the older Blackberry's).
    Confirmed. It is available for my 9930 in App World.
    07-11-13 08:54 AM
    Meanwhile, some folks are still pushing out tons of offline map apps every day!!

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 08:57 AM
    It has already been explained to you repeatedly that that article is pure bunk... Not sure why you still fervently cite it as gospel truth.

Even if the article isn't completely 100% true, I think this brings up a very big point that outside X amount of the most popular apps the majority of those Apps remain more novelty than useful!

Swiped On My Zed10
    07-11-13 09:33 AM
    Even if the article isn't completely 100% true, I think this brings up a very big point that outside X amount of the most popular apps the majority of those Apps remain more novelty than useful!

Swiped On My Zed10
    Popularity isn't the same thing as usefulness. And there you go still clinging to this article.

mikeo007 likes this.
    07-11-13 09:39 AM
    So there's an opportunity here for Blackberry. They should completely forget about the number of apps, and focus totally on quality. When you go to the BB store, you should see a small number of very high quality, tested apps.

When I went to the BB Jam I attended, I *thought* I heard them say that was the plan. But they never executed on this. Currently the store makes you wade through all sorts of garbage. Discovery for high quality apps is actually harder in the BB store than in the App Store or in Play, which makes no sense since BB has fewer apps in general to review.

They should focus hard on quality over volume, since BB can't win the volume competition anyway.
    07-11-13 09:41 AM
    Popularity isn't the same thing as usefulness. And there you go still clinging to this article.

Popularity in Apps usually would dictate usefulness.... of course that's not 100% of the time!

Swiped On My Zed10
    07-11-13 09:50 AM
    How would anyone be able to measure whether or not the apps were 'ever downloaded'?
    07-11-13 09:53 AM

-Blaq
    -CB10
    -CBCNews
    -Kobo
    -CBSSports
    -Soundhound
    -Flixster
    -Sayit
    -NBA JAM
    -Mass Effect Infiltrator
    -Jetpack Joyride