On Monday, at WWDC, Apple announced that it had 66 million Mac users. I was surprised to hear this as RIM has 78 million Blackberry users. I know that I am comparing computers to phones, but not until about eleven years ago Apple only made computers. Sure Apple almost went bankrupt when Jobs was not there, but Jobs was able to bring the company back to profit when he returned by cutting costs and introducing new lines of Mac computers. Apple has historically had less than 10% market share and managed to survive.

The bottom line is that you don't need to be number one to be an innovative and successful company.
    06-13-12 03:27 AM
    I would of though RIM would have more users than that considering the amount of businesses that use them
    06-13-12 06:57 AM
    What's the price of Mac's again?
    06-13-12 07:06 AM
    What a wonderful and appropriate comparison

"365 MILLION" iOS devices sold as of the end of March. That's probably a better measure.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    06-13-12 07:33 AM

"365 MILLION" iOS devices sold as of the end of March. That's probably a better measure.
    Sold, not users, big difference. BlackBerry has 78 million users, obviously they sold many times that.
    06-13-12 07:56 AM

I think you are missing the point. It is not a matter of being number one to be successful, and Apple was able to do so, twelve years ago, with the same market share that Blackberry is currently at.
    06-13-12 08:17 AM
    What's the price of Mac's again?
    Overpriced.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-13-12 08:17 AM
    Great statistic to show.

but please this is a BlackBerry site, don`t try and make any correlation to how BlackBerry isn`t doing poorly and that they are ok, it is not welcome.

All posts must be about how amazing Apple is, and how bad RIM is, and don`t draw any comparisons as to how Apple was, because no one else can be like Apple,
    This is a BlackBerry site so obviously you can`t speak highly of BlackBerry
    OniBerry likes this.
    06-13-12 08:30 AM
    Sold, not users, big difference. BlackBerry has 78 million users, obviously they sold many times that.
    Can someone please post where this number comes from. It gets quoted over and over
    again but I have yet to see anything to back this up. I am not disputing the number, just curious.
    06-13-12 08:38 AM
    Can someone please post where this number comes from. It gets quoted over and over
    again but I have yet to see anything to back this up. I am not disputing the number, just curious.
    Research In Motion CEO Provides Business Update

- Our global subscriber base continued to grow this quarter to approximately 78 million, driven primarily by growth in international markets, which is partially offset by high churn in the United States, and our BBM user base has grown to approximately 56 million users globally.

press releases
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    06-13-12 08:41 AM
    Look for RIM last earnings call it came straight from the horse mouth, and of course a transcript was released on that earings call. They aren't dying if that's what you're trying to imply low-key.
    06-13-12 08:44 AM
    Much appreciated.
    06-13-12 08:49 AM
    Look for RIM last earnings call it came straight from the horse mouth, and of course a transcript was released on that earings call. They aren't dying if that's what you're trying to imply low-key.
    Good grief! I'm not exactly sure what in "just curious" or looking for proper attribution
    is in your mind a low-key attempt to break into a RIM is dying dirge.
    06-13-12 08:53 AM
    On Monday, at WWDC, Apple announced that it had 66 million Mac users. I was surprised to hear this as RIM has 78 million Blackberry users. I know that I am comparing computers to phones, but not until about eleven years ago Apple only made computers. Sure Apple almost went bankrupt when Jobs was not there, but Jobs was able to bring the company back to profit when he returned by cutting costs and introducing new lines of Mac computers. Apple has historically had less than 10% market share and managed to survive.

The bottom line is that you don't need to be number one to be an innovative and successful company.
    The reason that Apple changed its name from "Apple Computer, Inc" to "Apple Inc" in 2007 is because the main focus of the company shifted from computers to personal electronic devices.
    06-13-12 10:06 AM
    I'm not too surprised, blackberries are very popular in developing countries with huge populations. Macbooks are very expensive compared to other laptops. Also in many countries it's more common to have a smartphone than a laptop.

Apple could probably make (even)more money if they focused on developing markets. They could produce lower end phones and laptops - maybe under a different name so it doesn't hurt their branding. Though I guess they're doing just fine as they are.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-13-12 10:25 AM
    So how come Apple can reveal the number of Mac users but not iphone users? All they ever tell is how many they sell.
    06-13-12 10:28 AM
    So how come Apple can reveal the number of Mac users but not iphone users? All they ever tell is how many they sell.
    That would be up to the carriers. The only reason RIM knows number of BlackBerry users is because of BIS/BES plans.

The carriers would all need to tell Apple how many iPhones are in use, and then Apple could report it.
    06-13-12 10:31 AM
    That would be up to the carriers. The only reason RIM knows number of BlackBerry users is because of BIS/BES plans.

The carriers would all need to tell Apple how many iPhones are in use, and then Apple could report it.
    So how is that different from Macs? They do know how many users they have and no carriers involved.
    06-13-12 10:35 AM
    So how is that different from Macs? They do know how many users they have and no carriers involved.
    I don't think they really know. It is an estimate based upon various analyses.

This article is very old, but it is still relevant.

It is fair to state that the number of OS X users is minimal compared to iOS users.
    06-13-12 10:39 AM
    Great statistic to show.

but please this is a BlackBerry site, don`t try and make any correlation to how BlackBerry isn`t doing poorly and that they are ok, it is not welcome.

All posts must be about how amazing Apple is, and how bad RIM is, and don`t draw any comparisons as to how Apple was, because no one else can be like Apple,
    This is a BlackBerry site so obviously you can`t speak highly of BlackBerry
    Hahaha. Are those cracks of frustration I'm starting to see deRusett? I guess things have been getting a tad ridiculous suddenly.

Perhaps the mods public comments on their increase regulating efforts have been interpreted as a direct challenge to haters/trollers.
    06-13-12 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD