This is the down play,

My mothers birthday is Saturday and either from her mentioning it a million times or me developing the 7th sense I need to get her a new cell phone...

She is operating the dinosaur of a phone, the motorola razor...the original

She has been hinting towards a blackberry (let's face it, everyone else in my family has a blackberry...why wouldn't she fall into the loop)

My hard decision (well not really hard, just that my mama's boy side doesnt want to tell her no) is whether she ReAlLy needs a blackberry?

She has 1 email account which gets a total of *maybe* 12 e-mails a year.

So I can technically get her a blackberry and activate the data block and her not use the internet...but then again, what is a blackberry without internet...i know, just a regular smartphone.

So that is the issue at hand...get her a blackberry and pay the $30/month or not...?

(P.S. - she is not technologically at hand...she is XX years old and just learned (in the past 1-2 years) how to use the computer...I don't know if she has the capacity to learn a blackberry...my dad's been in the US for 40 years and it took him a couple of months to understand a blackberry curve...but he still doesnt answer e-mail, bbm's, and sadly yes..facebook alerts)

ANY HELP IS GREAT HELP
    11-18-09 05:33 PM
    It's gonna be a waste of money. But if you can afford it and it makes her happy then why not.
    11-18-09 05:49 PM
    It's gonna be a waste of money. But if you can afford it and it makes her happy then why not.
    This +1. She's your Momma.
    11-18-09 06:11 PM
    I like the input a lot,

Now...let me ask you this...*new* phone from ebay...or new verizon 2 year contract? (lmao...im not cheap but i cant afford a no strings attached $500 phone lol...and my dad's not so fond of a new 2 year contract considering my sis just got the tour a couple of months ago.)
    11-18-09 06:22 PM
    If you really loved your mother you would buy her a Droid.
    11-18-09 06:25 PM
    If you really loved your mother you would buy her a Droid.
    LMAO, I love the thought, but she really wouldn't know how to use it. She just figured out how to text with her Razor, lol, idk if a touch screen will be easier for her to operate...

plus she wants a blackberry, i just dont know which one?

Not to get all BB sexist, but, whats a girly blackberry? (other than the pearl...in pink)
    (no offense to any fella's that have a pearl)***
    11-18-09 06:28 PM
    Scan through Ebay. You can probably find a nice pink 8330 new or like new for $150-$200 outright and off contract. Your mom would love it.
    11-18-09 06:45 PM
    She just wants to be close to her family, doesn't want to miss out on the fun. Get her a BB, make sure it has a silicone skin so it doesn't slip and fall, and get whatever service makes sense to you. Teach her to text, easy to do with the qwerty keyboard, and send her little love messages and what-I'm-doing messages to help her be part of things. Practice calling each other (in the same room) till you see she is comfy making a call. Just a few ideas from this BB grandma.
    11-18-09 06:46 PM
    GGberry is spot on. Trust me. I'm a Grandpa and have learned very few things in life, but one of them is what Grandmas like from their young'uns lol. I'll bet the same goes for Moms!
    11-18-09 06:50 PM
    She just wants to be close to her family, doesn't want to miss out on the fun. Get her a BB, make sure it has a silicone skin so it doesn't slip and fall, and get whatever service makes sense to you. Teach her to text, easy to do with the qwerty keyboard, and send her little love messages and what-I'm-doing messages to help her be part of things. Practice calling each other (in the same room) till you see she is comfy making a call. Just a few ideas from this BB grandma.
    GGberry is spot on. Trust me. I'm a Grandpa and have learned very few things in life, but one of them is what Grandmas like from their young'uns lol. I'll bet the same goes for Moms!
    touche to the both of you...call it an impulse buy, but I found a very nice (GREAT condition) pink curve for only 130$.

I think she will be very happy

Thank you all for your grrreat input
    11-18-09 07:19 PM
    Yeah, it's so wonderful when you get new phone for your mother' birthday. She is very happy when owing best one with a great phone. It's useful for you to enjoy this accessorygeeks.com, pick up one .
    Maybe it's just me, but I have noo idea what you're talking about, lol.

But I agree with GGBerry. And I think it's good you got her one with a full keyboard. I think she'll really like it, and most importantly just teach her how to do the basic things she'll be doing, texting, calling, ect. My parents easily get frustrated with technology when they can't figure it out, so they really like it when it's explained to them. If you do get the internet plan, you could set up things like weather on the home screen and stuff, I would think she'd like that. Simple conveniences. [=
    11-18-09 08:21 PM
    Go blackberry but keep it simple, go with a curve or something without a touchscreen lol
    11-18-09 08:33 PM
    Maybe try a pawnshop for an older one. I saw a pearl flip for 120.. thats pretty good id say
    11-18-09 08:35 PM
    my dad is 73 and decided he wanted a BB after seeing me basically addicted to mine. as far as I know he doesn't use it for email, so much as he does for talking over BBM and internet.

I bought the phone because he said he wanted it. he loves his BB and won't be separated from it. he may not use it for email, but he definitely uses the data.

you should do it. if she doesn't like it you can always return it within the 30 days and get her something she can use easily.
    11-18-09 09:55 PM
    I'd get her a used pearl or curve, great starter BBs
    11-18-09 11:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD