So I just got an email invite to download BestBuy's mIQ App for miqlive.com (screen shots below). First impression nice looking app. My device is a Blackberry 8900 and I experienced zero problems downloading and installing the app. After downloading and installation I was given another link to activate my account which went smoothly...

Once installed the app presented me with a screen to start sync, during that time I headed over to Free mobile phone contact, photo, video and text message backup :: mIQ on my computer to check out the Privacy page (see link below). The Privacy for lack of better words follows what 90% of other data backup sites have but the first thing does raise some concerns Automated-Collection Information, being that its BestBuy. Companies like Google and Microsoft have auto collection of info for just about all there apps. Not a big deal because they tend not to push the limits of too much. Yes, Google in the beginning had a few privacy cases but they've learn there lesson.

The website setup is pretty nice an with a 2gb limit and it being free you really can't complain. Privacy something you might want to keep an eye on but BestBuy, class action lawsuit against big companies flow like water so I doubt they'd try anything too sneaky with the data collected.

mIQ: Free mobile phone contact, photo, video and text message backup :: mIQ
    Privacy: mIQ

snapshot of the website user-end http://i33.tinypic.com/333gyms.jpg
    10-10-09 08:22 PM
    Cool feature I just noticed, on your mIQ account page there is a section marked Communications. Well I just received a sms/text message and within a second of that message coming in my mIQ account page sounded an audio alert and displayed the text msg. Pretty cool if you want to keep your phone hidden at work and still monitor your text/sms. I'm assuming this feature also works with incoming and missed calls since there headers of those as well.
    10-10-09 08:33 PM
    Seems nice. Does this work over wifi no data?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-09 11:25 PM
    Seems nice. Does this work over wifi no data?

yes it has a Wifi Only option which I turned on, so it does not sync when i'm not on my wifi or a wifi network
    10-11-09 02:51 AM
    I also received my invite and i set my account up. After just a few hours of messing around with it, i decided to remove the app from my phone. The reason being is I felt I was just installing another app for something I already had. I use google sync for my contacts and calendar events. Emails aren't going anywhere. Plus I have smartguard which backs everything up as well. It was nice to try it out and see what it was about but honestly I already have everything I need.
    10-11-09 03:00 AM
    I also received my invite and i set my account up. After just a few hours of messing around with it, i decided to remove the app from my phone. The reason being is I felt I was just installing another app for something I already had. I use google sync for my contacts and calendar events. Emails aren't going anywhere. Plus I have smartguard which backs everything up as well. It was nice to try it out and see what it was about but honestly I already have everything I need.
    if miqlive had a locate phone and wipe feature it would be the perfect free service.
    10-11-09 10:27 AM
    if miqlive had a locate phone and wipe feature it would be the perfect free service.
    If it did have that feature, I would have been sold on it. Considering the service is free.
    10-11-09 12:10 PM
    i get to the bit where it says "creating your account...." and then after a minute or so it says "connection failed". I have full 3g signal too. Weird?
    10-12-09 05:17 AM
    I do agree that the Googly sync and Smartguard combination is hard to beat.

10-12-09 07:55 AM
    Hello. Does mIQ work on BlackBerry Internet Service data?

10-12-09 06:51 PM
    Hello. Does mIQ work on BlackBerry Internet Service data?

yes it does as well as wifi
    10-12-09 07:44 PM
    yes it does as well as wifi
    Thanks

10-13-09 01:48 AM
    i would dump Google sync. i had that app, and MIQ, so far, is head and shoulders above it.
    10-13-09 02:04 AM
    I also received an invite and tried installing app on my 8350i, it did install fine but then when I ran the app it said somethin like unexpected connection error, I have yet to try it on my tour

10-13-09 05:09 AM
    I received an invite as well.

It seems like a pretty strong app, but I as well am curious about the privacy with these types of apps. But really, I don't see why Best Buy would do anything out of the normal with it, and somehow I feel safer being it is through a bigger company... hmm.

As far as the app, it seems to sync very smoothly, and works well on my BB Storm. It has uploaded my contacts/pictures/calender, so I am going to give it a go for a bit and see if I like it.

I have SmrtGuard as well, which I do like the remote wipe ability. So, we will see.
    10-13-09 09:11 AM
    I've been trying this over the weekend (currently a Google Sync user). This app is very, very good! Really caught me by surprise because I never heard a peep about it until a few weeks ago.

It beats Google Sync by a mile!! I just hope it stays free. With Best Buy, I dunno, can't see them not rolling out some type of pricing structure.
    10-13-09 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD