Flipboard, Vine and Path coming to Windows Phone 8 this year | MobileSyrup.com

So if they're going to develop for them why not us?

It's one thing not to be developed for, but to turn around announce support to one platform, and leave the other out of the loop? That just ain't cool.
    And why BB is no going develop BBM for WP platform? Why BES10 is not supporting WP devices? That just ain't cool, too!
    richardat likes this.
    07-12-13 01:32 AM
    This will continue as the phone was launched first and there are more Windows phones in the hands of users compared to BB10. The amount of users is number 1 in app developers minds it seems and very few want to stick there necks out to help BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    Indeed. Not sure why the confusion, or why you think it's not "cool" OP. The developers are trying to make money and they are going where the money is:
    1.win 8 has more users
    2.win 8 (while not on a clearly sustainable positive trajectory) has far more momentum than BB10

Those 2 reasons alone clearly favor win 8 and then of course, if needed, MS can throw more money around. I said long ago that BB should have thrown everything they had (resource and money wise) into launch, but they didn't...at all. Now, the sales are dead, the money situation is tenuous (and they appear to be hiding the full magnitude of the problem), and they must squeeze every time just to eek out more survival time.

Developers in general will not come to BB10 so might as well get used to it. In fact, I would bet that even efforts that were being undertaken have been abandoned or scaled back in the last week. Yes...that sucks...BUT....it's just....the truth. It is what it is Ladies and Gents.

As an anti-MS fanboy, I am now reduced to simply hoping they fail at 3rd in a race of one! WHICH they ARE capable of doing.... :-)
    07-12-13 02:15 AM
    Microsoft has dumped millions in development incentives. It gets results. Time will tell if it is sustainable. BlackBerry should make deals with these apps and bbm. Think channels in Flipboard...

Posted by Z10
    + 1. That is what I have been saying for a long time. You can see Microsoft acting with a sense of urgency and pulling out all the stops to get more of the big named apps on board and it is finally producing results.

BlackBerry needs to adopt the same strategy. Hopefully cross - platform BBM and BBM Channels slated for release this summer will be a success.

If so, it would give BlackBerry more exposure and more bargaining power with the developers who are still holding out.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    07-12-13 02:24 AM
    I think devs think this is the end for BlackBerry. I have a feeling that we won't be getting to many good apps until BlackBerry shows them something. And I don't mean money. They need to appeal to the enterprise, and the regular guy/girl that's just following the crowd.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    07-12-13 03:58 AM
    And why BB is no going develop BBM for WP platform? Why BES10 is not supporting WP devices? That just ain't cool, too!
    For the same reason these apps will make an appearence on Windows Phone before they hit BB10: They get a larger userbase.
    While I don't have any numbers, I am very certain the WP8 marketshare is quite a bit higher than BB10. First it is available since last years autumn, second there is a whole bunch of devices already available, with a constant flow of new high-end phones (Lumia 925, 1020), good deal ex-flagships (Ativ S, Lumia 920, 820) as well as decent range of actual budget handsets (Lumia 520, 620). So WP8 covers virtually all price interests, has decent products for various tastes ready and simply had more time to deploy itself on the market.

I am not surprised about any "major" application which hits Microsofts system before it hits BlackBerry 10. The devs will reach more users this way. Vice versa BBRY sends out their x-plattform BBM to Android and iOS first because this should cover more than 80% of the market with a single strike. I guess they'll release a WP8 variant later, but for a first start, these two dominating plattforms are the most logical and economical choice.
    07-12-13 04:21 AM
    By the time BlackBerry gets Vine, the clamor for it will be dead. These kind of applications are great when the platforms get them at about the same time. Otherwise, the app comes to your platform, and folks have moved onto something else.
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    07-12-13 04:27 AM
    Windows Phone 8 market share in the US is small, but increasing every quarter. In some parts of the world it as even 7-8%. Looking back over the years and therefore many quarters, there is a great total number of Windows Phones in use (many many more than BB10 devices). And this is what matters to developers. WP seems to have passed a critic number of devices in use, which will lead to exponentially more big name devs to support the platform. Finally the latter will boost sales even more.

Now with a look at the crappy A10, game is finally over.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 07:10 AM
    For the same reason these apps will make an appearence on Windows Phone before they hit BB10: They get a larger userbase.
    While I don't have any numbers, I am very certain the WP8 marketshare is quite a bit higher than BB10. First it is available since last years autumn, second there is a whole bunch of devices already available, with a constant flow of new high-end phones (Lumia 925, 1020), good deal ex-flagships (Ativ S, Lumia 920, 820) as well as decent range of actual budget handsets (Lumia 520, 620). So WP8 covers virtually all price interests, has decent products for various tastes ready and simply had more time to deploy itself on the market.

I am not surprised about any "major" application which hits Microsofts system before it hits BlackBerry 10. The devs will reach more users this way. Vice versa BBRY sends out their x-plattform BBM to Android and iOS first because this should cover more than 80% of the market with a single strike. I guess they'll release a WP8 variant later, but for a first start, these two dominating plattforms are the most logical and economical choice.
    So MS is very kind that he created Skype version for BB. Google doesn't care about BB platform at all. I think that MS deserves some respect for their manners.
    07-12-13 08:56 AM
    So MS is very kind that he created Skype version for BB. Google doesn't care about BB platform at all. I think that MS deserves some respect for their manners.
    MS only gets Skype revenue if they provide the Skype client/app, while Google still gets ad revenue by you just using them to search on your BlackBerry device even if they don't provide any specific apps. This wasn't a matter of manners, it was just about getting a few more bucks by just porting an android app.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 10:31 AM
    Wow more apps to be spied on by NSA.
    Microsoft and NSA to rule the world.
    07-12-13 10:48 AM
    I'm pretty sure BBM is coming for WP later on.
    07-12-13 10:57 AM
    These kind of applications are great when the platforms get them at about the same time. Otherwise, the app comes to your platform, and folks have moved onto something else.
    This is the story of BlackBerry (then RIM) for years now, unfortunate as it is. Late to the party and left behind as the next "big thing" shows up. Articles such as the one the OP referenced are disappointing indicators that the masses (consumers and developers) aren't particularly interested in BlackBerry any more.

People keep towing the party line that "BlackBerries are for business" and "They are tools, not toys" despite the fact that BlackBerry is trying to capture a market that believes in tools and toys. People that draw a line in the sand and proclaim that these apps aren't needed are missing the bigger picture... the one that exists outside of their own tiny little bubbles.

I hope that BlackBerry can turn things around, but more and more it seems like they can't, at least in the US. It's unfortunate and disappointing.
    MasterOfBinary and cckgz4 like this.
    07-12-13 11:04 AM
    Flipboard, Vine and Path coming to Windows Phone 8 this year | MobileSyrup.com

So if they're going to develop for them why not us?
    1. Windows Phone has more users than BlackBerry 10 currently and has been out longer.
    2. BlackBerry OS has more users than Windows Phone but is on the decline and expensive to develop for
    3. Microsoft can throw piles of money at things
    4. How do you know "BlackBerry 10" isn't on their roadmap just because Windows is currently being announced?
    07-12-13 11:07 AM
    I seriously doubt that there is a single person commenting on this thread that knows what incentives were offered to entice these vendors to develop for Windows Phone or Nokia or whoever, so what it was and that BB should do the same is 1 bazillion percent conjecture and bad math.
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    07-12-13 11:13 AM
    While I don't have any numbers, I am very certain the WP8 marketshare is quite a bit higher than BB10.
    Without question, Windows Phone has a lot more users than BlackBerry 10. It's been out longer. Microsoft won't give it, but I'm pegging the userbase at around 20-25 million. The logic here is Nokia has shipped about 19.9 million to date (though not all would still be in use) and accounts for 80-85% of the market, depending on the source you believe.

BlackBerry shipped 3.7 million by the end of last quarter, so probably closer to five million or so shipped now. The base of Windows Phone is several times the size of BlackBerry 10, without question. And it should be ... as you pointed out. Nokia's been shipping a line of Lumias, and successor Lumias for 6, going on 7 quarters. BlackBerry just completed 1 full quarter of BlackBerry 10 sales and is still rolling out the line.

This doesn't mean that this vendors refuse to "ever make a BlackBerry app". If the user base grows to a point where they feel there is an opportunity, they'll do. For all we know, they may have told RIM, "not yet, but maybe at the end of the year, if your userbase hits 10 million".
    07-12-13 11:23 AM
    I'm pretty sure BBM is coming for WP later on.
    I think that you are right, but you miss the point of my question. OP is asking why developers don't support all platforms (how it is unfair) but he forgot to mention that BB is same unfair player.
    richardat and MasterOfBinary like this.
    07-12-13 11:24 AM
    I think that you are right, but you miss the point of my question. OP is asking why developers don't support all platforms (how it is unfair) but he forgot to mention that BB is same unfair player.
    Not all "developers" have the same goals, the same dilligence, same interest either.
    07-12-13 11:42 AM
    As much as people don't want to understand it, the simple truth is developers need to balance the expense to bring an app to a platform with the anticipated return from sales on that platform. If the expense to bring an app to a platform is higher than the anticipated return from the sales of the app on that platform, then there is no reason to pursue the project. Remember that expense covers not only the costs associated with the initial development, but also the costs to maintain the app and provide end-user support for the app. Why spend time and money-- burning through resources-- to bring an app to a platform when there is potentially little to no money to be made?

And before people start quoting statistics of demand based on forum posts (and similar completely unreliable sources such as "my friends"), people need to take a step back and consider which platforms are the biggest... iOS and Android are at the top, so if a developer is looking for a lucrative platform, they will look at one or the other of those, if not both of those. Beyond that, why bother with the distant third and fourth platforms when there might not be a decent return on the investment?

It's clear just by browsing a retail store such as Best Buy where consumers are spending their money (with regards to mobile devices). It's clear with the massive amount of accessories for iOS and Android where manufacturers are focusing their resources. It's clear with the massive amount of major label apps already available where developers are focusing their resources. It shouldn't be shocking. Sad, but not unexpected.

So... why is the Windows Phone platform getting these titles before the BlackBerry platform? As others have pointed out, there is likely a larger potential for decent returns on the developers' investments and these developers, at least for now, don't see the same potential with the BlackBerry platform.
    Last edited by ifarlow; 07-12-13 at 12:43 PM.
    07-12-13 12:04 PM
    Microsoft continues to "bring it".

They're going to be eating BB's lunch... both on the device end and on the enterprise level. I can really see that while they're trying to lure consumers, they're also trying to upset BB in the enterprise - which will flow demand from the top down (enterprise to consumers).

From a consumer level, WP8 marketplace is pretty impressive already. There's quite a bit of apps out there. No doubt developers are flocking because of MS's impressive development tools and the fact that they can share code before the different Windows platforms.

I strongly recommend that BB fans start looking towards WP8 for their future. You'll soon have everything that BB has provided you and so much more. It really is the be way to transition from BB.
    07-12-13 12:34 PM
    they're also trying to upset BB in the enterprise - which will flow demand from the top down (enterprise to consumers).
    Can you give examples of this?
    07-12-13 12:52 PM
    Respects to WP to getting er done. They worked hard or paid hard, it is what it is. I personally don't have any problems with Microsoft. I think a more even distribution of user share between even just Microsoft and Android and Apple can only stand to bring down the goliaths closer for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 01:10 PM
    No company would get w windows phone after the nsa leaks. I�m sure they want to keep their secrets for themselfs.
    07-12-13 04:14 PM
    M$ will pay them to build the app.Simple as that.
    Smartie020 likes this.
    07-12-13 05:24 PM
    I've never actually done it, but I know both use C# so a lot of the code would work with both, unless it depends on features in newer versions of .NET.

I have no idea how different the interface is though.
    I also wonder if the ability to establish a relationship with M$ is motivating some of these people. I keep hearing it's all going to be about the ecosystem.
    07-12-13 06:11 PM
    I also wonder if the ability to establish a relationship with M$ is motivating some of these people. I keep hearing it's all going to be about the ecosystem.
    MS is definitely doing everything they can to get small businesses and students on board - to the point of giving them $1000's of free software, support, visibility, training, and free Windows Store accounts. Plus they spend money on contests, especially with Intel behind them trying to push Win8 on their ultrabooks

I don't know what BB does for developers, I hope they're doing a lot of the same but I never hear of stuff like that happening.
    07-12-13 06:27 PM
50 12