Say I backup some family photos and videos on a huge 32gb card, and the phone was damaged the card should be safe being the size and inside the phone. But say my phone falls in the pool or in a puddle etc would that damage the sdcard?
    07-14-10 04:52 PM
    I have read more than one case on here about the micro SD card being water
    damaged. So yes, I'd say so.
    07-14-10 05:15 PM
    The specific characteristics of SD card products are dependent on the SD card manufacturers. Some card makers use unique manufacturing technology to make the cards waterproof as an added feature while others do not. Please check with the specific SD card maker for card features.

from- FAQs - SD Association

In short...it depends
    07-14-10 05:54 PM
    I can also see the card might be waterproof but if it were being written to when the phone got wet, a power surge/short could still damage it.

There's a message board I frequent where some guy accidently dropped his camera off of Half Dome in Yosemite. A few months later someone was actually able to find the card (phone was demolished in the fall) and the card still worked after exposure to lots of weather.
    07-14-10 06:17 PM
    I can also see the card might be waterproof but if it were being written to when the phone got wet, a power surge/short could still damage it.

There's a message board I frequent where some guy accidently dropped his camera off of Half Dome in Yosemite. A few months later someone was actually able to find the card (phone was demolished in the fall) and the card still worked after exposure to lots of weather.
    I call bull on that one. That's probably just the BS excuse the guy gave his girlfriend explaining how those pictures she sent him ended up on the internet!
    11-23-10 05:46 PM
    MicroSD cards are pretty much water proof natively. However, there's a chance it could short out depending on how lucky you are. However, for the sake of argument, you can take a MicroSD cards out, dunk it in a glass of water, pull it out, dry it, and it'll work just fine.

One thing is certain... I'd rather run the risk of storing stuff on the MicroSD and have my BB take a plunge then the internal media memory and have the same thing happen. You have a better chance of getting your info back from the card.

Also note that other memory cards that aren't so "one pieced/sealed" WON'T be water proof. A MicroSD is pretty much a memory wafer/controller all sealed up with leads explosed for communication because it's so small.
    11-23-10 11:19 PM
    Water kills, ESD is much worse, it fries every electronic device. I did it to a calculator (all the keys got remapped), hard disk (hard dead disk now), old keyboard (half of the keys work), iphone, regular phone, older cellphone (all of them are DEAD).

Water is a slow death, ESD is almost instant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 04:55 AM
    MicroSD cards, as a general rule, should not be damaged by water. However, there are a few circumstances that will. If you try to write to it before it is COMPLETELY bone dry, you coulf cause a short. Additionally, you most likely won't be getting it wet with your glass of distilled water. The impurities and minerals in water, as well as flavoring and sugars in numerous drinks, and salt, can cause damage. These materials on the memory wafer and leads can cause a short. I'd say the best way to try to salvage it would be to try the same methods you'll find on CB to try to save a waterlogged BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 10:12 AM
    i didnt read past the second post. but logic says no, any type of electronics and water dont mix well as a general rule of thumb. that is not to say however some of the basic tricks to salvage water damaged things may or may not work. For instance sometimes after you drop something into water or otherwise get it wet, assuming that it is off, if you can take it apart and let it dry before trying to turn it back on it may work. If it is on when it gets hit with water, your chance of this working is decreased alot.

In the case of a micro sd or other memory card where the act of taking it apart would otherwise end in its destruction. keep it in a dry location trying to avoid further elemental damage for a day or two to be on the safe side. then give it a shot. it may or may not work, but i have had success with this on multiple occasions with a variety of different tech. god speed and good luck
    11-24-10 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD