I format my SD card to exFat on my PC and copied in a few movies and inserted to my Z10. Half way watching a movie, an error came up and says SD was removed. I went to settings, storage and true enough there is no listing of my SD card.

I turn off the phone and remove the battery, remove the SD card and gave it a good clean before putting everything back together. Yet it still cannot be detected on my phone. However it can be detected on my PC but only shows 5Gb instead of 64Gb and the file system is RAW. I can't even do a quick or slow format on my PC.

Anyone experienced this before? Can anyone help me here to revive my SD card. Appreciate all the help. Thank you.

Crazy lover of BlackBerry Z10
    07-04-14 08:19 PM
    Download guiformat and format the card to Fat32.
    only way its going to work. I had the same thing happen to me. I tried formatting to exFat and it didn't work in my 10.3 leaked install. Fat32 works.
    07-04-14 09:05 PM
    Try SD Formatter 4.0: Https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Posted via CB10
    Nayalm likes this.
    07-04-14 10:17 PM
    Hi Jaydee, I tried but it still failed. It says the volume does not contain a recognised file system.

07-04-14 10:25 PM
    Assuming the SD card hasn't failed you should make sure that it is properly partitioned using fdisk (unix), disk utility(mac) or diskpart/disk management(windows). Delete all partitions (full) then create a new partition (windows 95 0xc). You can then format it on the computer, shut the phone down, insert and use the card.

I advise that you don't use the BB10 format tools because there is an issue with how they handle partitioning, full erase and indexing which causes corruption when the file system changes.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    07-04-14 10:35 PM
    Assuming the SD card hasn't failed you should make sure that it is properly partitioned using fdisk (unix), disk utility(mac) or diskpart/disk management(windows). Delete all partitions (full) then create a new partition (windows 95 0xc). You can then format it on the computer, shut the phone down, insert and use the card.

I advise that you don't use the BB10 format tools because there is an issue with how they handle partitioning, full erase and indexing which causes corruption when the file system changes.
    Hi m3mb3rsh1p,

I use diskpart as suggested but it still shows the size as 5850MB and 0B free. It should be a 64Gb card.

I try the delete command it say I have not selected a partition even though there is an * next to Partition 1 (the only partition). I read some of the commands and I use the clean all command and it is still in progress for about 5 min and still going. The activity light on the SD card is flashing. Is this a good sign or a bad sign.

Any further advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

07-04-14 10:57 PM
    So far I've burned though several SanDisk SD cards with this problem. At least three of mine (64GB Ultra II and Extreme Plus cards) have effectively fried like this. Literally. Somehow the cards get in a state where they can't be read and they are too hot to touch and unusable.

I'm going to send them back to SanDisk, but basically once you're in this state nothing worked for me. Computers or any BlackBerry 10 version that was once able to read will no longer. I'm really surprised that BlackBerry had such a problem getting the right drivers on their phones, and it feels like we've been using unstable drivers to start.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 01:15 AM
    There is no need to keep removing the SD Card when it's been inserted into the phone. Format the SD Card to the phone and if you want to put movies, music, photos etc etc on the SD Card, just plug the phone into the PC and move them from PC to Phones SD Card and vice versa. Class 10 HD cards work fine.

Posted via CB10
    Playbook007 likes this.
    07-05-14 02:18 AM
    There is no need to keep removing the SD Card when it's been inserted into the phone. Format the SD Card to the phone and if you want to put movies, music, photos etc etc on the SD Card, just plug the phone into the PC and move them from PC to Phones SD Card and vice versa. Class 10 HD cards work fine.

Posted via CB10
    Hi Craigash,

The phone does not allow me to format to exFat. That is why I had to use the PC to format it. Now my problem is to find a solution to revive my 64Gb which my phone will not recognise it. Only the PC recognise but only show 5Gb space available and not 64 Gb.

07-05-14 02:56 AM
    Hi m3mb3rsh1p,

I use diskpart as suggested but it still shows the size as 5850MB and 0B free. It should be a 64Gb card.

I try the delete command it say I have not selected a partition even though there is an * next to Partition 1 (the only partition). I read some of the commands and I use the clean all command and it is still in progress for about 5 min and still going. The activity light on the SD card is flashing. Is this a good sign or a bad sign.

Any further advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Using Diskpart,
    Type:
    List disk
    Select Disk 1 (assuming the sd card is disk 1)
    Clean
    Create Partition Primary
    Active
    Format FS=??? (whatever format you want)
    Assign
    Exit

This process usually helps for any 'bricked' storage drives. Unless it is truly fried.

Hope it helps.

an addict ever since my first 8900
    07-05-14 03:03 AM
    Using Diskpart,
    Type:
    List disk
    Select Disk 1 (assuming the sd card is disk 1)
    Clean
    Create Partition Primary
    Active
    Format FS=??? (whatever format you want)
    Assign
    Exit

This process usually helps for any 'bricked' storage drives. Unless it is truly fried.

Hope it helps.

Hi TheyCallMeMatt,

I have done exactly as per your suggestions and it still doesn't work. It says DiskPart has encountered an error : the parameter is incorrect after formatting.

07-05-14 06:30 AM
    Oh gosh.. then you might have a very light paperweight there. Sorry dude.

07-05-14 06:49 AM
    Oh gosh.. then you might have a very light paperweight there. Sorry dude.

No problem. Thank you for the help though. An experienced I hope I don't get myself into ever again. Lessons learned - not to try new stuff when BlackBerry released it as official until I'm absolutely certain. I will have to save up to get a new card. It's rather expensive here in Malaysia.

TheyCallMeMatt likes this.
    07-05-14 07:22 AM
    No problem. Thank you for the help though. An experienced I hope I don't get myself into ever again. Lessons learned - not to try new stuff when BlackBerry released it as official until I'm absolutely certain. I will have to save up to get a new card. It's rather expensive here in Malaysia.

Hey neighbour! Haha..

You might like to look at this brand Strotium.. pretty good and pricing is good too for their Class 10 cards. Using it and very durable.

07-05-14 09:25 AM
    Reformat your MicroSD using a windows Vista or Windows 7+ PC. Do not transfer files yet. Install the microSD in your phone. Reboot the phone and let it download the exfat drivers. Go to settings, to storage device and format your device again using your phone , assuming the phone had downloaded the new exFat drivers. I did it that way and it works fine.

From my ? phone
    07-06-14 01:35 PM
    Reformat your MicroSD using a windows Vista or Windows 7+ PC. Do not transfer files yet. Install the microSD in your phone. Reboot the phone and let it download the exfat drivers. Go to settings, to storage device and format your device again using your phone , assuming the phone had downloaded the new exFat drivers. I did it that way and it works fine.

From my ? phone
    Hi Man_apart,

I can't even format it on my windows 7. It only has 5 gb instead of 64 gb.

07-07-14 06:36 AM
    Walmart sells the Lexar 64gig micro sd card c/w usb adapter for roughly $32.00 Canadian. Have had zero problems but I inserted it into the phone, used the phone to format. I also never remove it. Plug the phone or use wifi to transfer music etc. I also have a backup hardrive that syncs all my BlackBerry files automatically. That way, a lost/broken phone/card is just a financial inconvenience and not both.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 08:05 AM