I've searched this here and on Google, but haven't found definitive answers.

A friend and I were recently discussing the security of our bbry messages on messenger.

His phone is through work on verizon. Relatively small company, less than 100 employees.

My phone is personally owner through verizon.

How can he tell if he is BES or BIS, and what do those stand for?

Can I be sure I am BIS, which I understand would mean the messages aren't stored anywhere?

If we have a conversation, and he is BES and I am BIS - does that mean only his outgoing half is stored?

Is this the sort of thing that is stored on the businesses local server or by the provider?

Inquiring minds...
    01-25-09 05:05 PM
    I'm not real sure on this but
    BIS- blackberry internet server
    BES - blackberry enterprise server

I'm not sure if that is right but I think it is. also as far as I know bbm conversations aren't stored anywhere, althought any type of texting and things are saved. Hope this helps and someone let me know if I'm wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-09 05:17 PM
    purely talking about blackberry messenger. I have read here and other places that sometimes IT admin can read employees bbry messenger history if they are BES.

If that is the case - are there any hard and fast rules as to where it would be stored, or for how long?

And - if one is BIS and one BES - how is it recorded?

Thanks again -
    01-25-09 05:21 PM
    I've searched this here and on Google, but haven't found definitive answers.

A friend and I were recently discussing the security of our bbry messages on messenger.

His phone is through work on verizon. Relatively small company, less than 100 employees.

My phone is personally owner through verizon.

How can he tell if he is BES or BIS, and what do those stand for?

Can I be sure I am BIS, which I understand would mean the messages aren't stored anywhere?

If we have a conversation, and he is BES and I am BIS - does that mean only his outgoing half is stored?

Is this the sort of thing that is stored on the businesses local server or by the provider?

Inquiring minds...
    If his work is paying for his Berry than most likely they use their own e-mail system which requires BES. BIS is more for personal e-mail. Like Yahoo, AOL, Gmail, etc.

I've read before on here that it is very possible that a BBM conversation may very well be stored in the BES network data.
    01-25-09 05:21 PM
    If his is thru work and is bes, "the man" can read it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-09 06:44 PM
    Yeah, I would say:

You - BIS (the personal use system for BB)
    Friend - BES (the work related one...which is most likely what he is on...only him and his work would know for sure)

If anyone is on BES then both sides could be saved - not to mention that Verizon can always pull messages for gov't use (without a search warrant). So just be aware, your conversations aren't really that "secure".
    01-25-09 09:28 PM
    Duly noted.

If he is BES but his bbry didn't come with messenger installed - does that have any impact on the likelyhood it is being stored?
    01-26-09 10:38 AM
    It all depends on the configuration and revision level of the BES server. By default BB Messenger logging is disabled. If the admin chooses to enable logging then he could also set the retention time on those logs as well.
    01-26-09 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD