Why is it that when you install a new operating system your free memory shoots up and after some time it gradually disappears. For Good. Is there any way to recapture it short of a clean reinstall?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-10 07:40 AM
    The OS you have takes up at least some of the memory and since you can't really uninstall that, it will never be added back in. Apps and themes, etc take up some too. Only way to really get it all back is a reinstall.
    03-09-10 08:42 AM
    Memory management is critical, particularly for our 64 Mb BlackBerrys.

When you create a fresh build, all of the program files are installed. As you operate your BlackBerry, memory is used to pre-fetch (copy) data. That memory will be released again after the application is closed.

Many members use a battery pull to purge the memory to keep it at the high end of the useful range. Other members will let the software take care of itself, trusting in the automated memory management.

Here is a link to more information on the Memory Optimization Procedure.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    03-09-10 09:41 AM
    Try to remove all data at memory card
    03-09-10 10:05 AM
    I noticed this too. With the same number of installed apps and saved messages, the File Free goes up after re-installing or upgrading the OS. My theory is re-installing or upgrading the OS gives the device an opportunity to "defragment" or "compact" its files. The File Free will gradually go down over a few weeks of normal use and eventually the thing reaches its steady state level.
    03-09-10 03:00 PM
    Interesting. I just re-installed my OS and say a big File Free jump. We'll see if it reaches that steady state level.

I noticed this too. With the same number of installed apps and saved messages, the File Free goes up after re-installing or upgrading the OS. My theory is re-installing or upgrading the OS gives the device an opportunity to "defragment" or "compact" its files. The File Free will gradually go down over a few weeks of normal use and eventually the thing reaches its steady state level.
    03-09-10 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD