So i have the Pearl 8130 and i know that it has little memory so i keep my eye on it. So one time i called Sprint about something and they mentioned to clean out the cache from the broswer to free up memory. So i do and guess what happens.. I LOSE MEMORY. What gives? I would think clearing the memory from my browser would free up more memory, not take it away. So what am i doing wrong?
    05-09-09 07:24 PM
    Have you ever tried doing a battery pull? You'll get a good refresh of memory after that.
    05-09-09 07:36 PM
    Ya i do a battery pull alot and i do get more memory but wouldnt cleaning out my browsing history give me more memory and not less?
    05-09-09 09:06 PM
    What is your file free memory at now? Go to options>status and post that number...
    05-09-09 09:08 PM
    4300240. Looks like i need to do my daily pull.
    05-09-09 09:16 PM
    Buy a memory card! They rock! You can get 2 gigs for like 15 bucks or so at walmart.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-09 09:22 PM
    already have one!
    05-09-09 09:23 PM
    4300240. Looks like i need to do my daily pull.
    That is your problem right there. 4 mb is way too low. You need to delete some apps, themes etc to free up some space. There is a link in my signature on memory optimization. Reed lays it out very nicely for everyone step by step.
    05-09-09 09:26 PM
    when i do my battery pull it goes to 11526236. I was wondering why my memory goes down after i clear out my broswer cache. It doesnt make sense.
    05-09-09 09:35 PM
    Haha maybe the utility to clear the cache itself is a memory leak?

05-09-09 09:54 PM
    Maybe its just a weird memory leak. Do it again and tell us if It happened again.

05-09-09 09:59 PM
    Ok so after battery pull my memory was 11526236. After i surfed the web for like a min i cleaned out my cache now i have 11515064.
    05-09-09 10:03 PM
    Did you close the browser or just hit end?

05-09-09 10:34 PM
    05-10-09 12:02 AM
    I always close my browser, if i dont then my phone takes forever to do anything.
    I know how to free up memory ive done it and ive tried to clean out my broswer cache to free up memory but after cleaning out my cache i lose memory. That what i wanted answer not just how to free memory.
    05-10-09 10:58 AM
    I wonder if there is some misunderstanding about memory management?

The first fact is, the current generation of Curves and Pearls have 64 Mb of Flash Memory installed in the logic board. That is separate from the media card memory, which can be much larger in size, but limited in function.

The second factor is your Device OS build. If you have removed all of the sample image files, configured your media card correctly, you will see the maximum File Free Memory of 15-20 Mb. That is normal after a restart and ideal for normal function.

The next factor is your data: messages, attachments, contacts, calender and other information is saved in device memory. Use Options / Status. Menu Database sizes to view the memory being used.

Finally, there are temporary files like the Browser Cache. They serve a valuable function, they speed up the loading of web pages, by a lot. It is counter productive to purge your cache because everything will be reloaded again.

Finally, we have the garbage collector. It is built into the core of Java and is responsible for recovering memory. It is fully automatic and runs in the background. You can watch it at work with Options / Status or a dedicated utility app.

If you have upgraded to v4.5xx software, you can set the lower memory limit to 5 Mb. The original v4.2xx needed 12 Mb for nromal operation.

05-10-09 11:41 AM
    ^^^
    Very well said.
    Last edited by branden3112; 05-10-09 at 12:35 PM.
    05-10-09 12:23 PM
    so how does that answer my question on losing memory when i clean my broswer cache?
    05-10-09 01:36 PM
    so how does that answer my question on losing memory when i clean my broswer cache?
    It doesn't. I do not know the solution to your problem. I think that it's puzzling all of us like it's puzzling you.
    05-10-09 01:42 PM
    That is the Java garbage collector at work.

Your Browser cache starts at 0 after a restart. As you use it, key elements are cached for later use. When it reaches it maximum size of 2 Mb, older content is deleted to make room for current content.

If your cache was not large, less then a 100 Kb, deleting it may not show up until the garbage collector gets too it.

Then, you will see your File Free Memory go up for no apparent reason.

Software Secret Weapons: The Last Java Garbage Collection Guide You Will Ever Need

automatic memory management does not come without costs. Garbage collection cycles are unpredictable and applications may be susceptible to "pauses" or other performance issues while garbage collection is taking place. As the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) has matured, there have been improvements introduced to minimize the impact of GC on applications. ...
    05-10-09 01:43 PM
    When i clean it out it does show up on memory by showing less memory than i had before. Well it looks like i cant find a sure answer here so ill just call sprint sometime and see what they say.
    05-10-09 01:45 PM
    Let us know how it goes.

05-10-09 03:03 PM
    So i called Sprint Tech Support and told him the problem and he said that it is small amounts and i should see an increase, so i had to repeat that im losing memory, and he made it seemed like it was no big deal and to do full wipe if i wanted to clean everything. So no help really. I might call a sprint store and see what they say.
    05-10-09 05:43 PM
    Maybe its the phone? Time to get a new one?

05-11-09 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";