07-18-08 09:36 AM
124 ... 345
tools
    one person say that they're mis-informed and I'm supposed to stand by and let that go!!! Give me a break!!!!
    Saying that you're mis-informed isn't an insult. It's a statement of fact. No need to take offense.
    07-17-08 11:25 AM
    Just DROP IT. Period. This was a great thread a page or two ago.
    07-17-08 11:27 AM
    I love this! Gosh I'm out for two days and all these wonderful new threads are posted! Sounds like a Marines vs. Air Force battle... looks like the AF is winning!!
    07-17-08 11:51 AM
    I love this! Gosh I'm out for two days and all these wonderful new threads are posted! Sounds like a Marines vs. Air Force battle... looks like the AF is winning!!
    AF winning If you say so, the Marines I worked out with last night are no joke, but that's neither here or there, back on topic.
    07-17-08 12:14 PM
    How many mb does your VZW BB Curve come with out of the box?

My free memory was 43,849,535

and I did the Clear Log and battery pull it went to 46,516,159

Does that mean I gained 3mb more free memory?

Sorry I am a newbie just trying to learn...
    07-17-08 02:06 PM
    How many mb does your VZW BB Curve come with out of the box?

My free memory was 43,849,535

and I did the Clear Log and battery pull it went to 46,516,159

Does that mean I gained 3mb more free memory?

Sorry I am a newbie just trying to learn...
    Yes, you gained around 3MB. good job.
    07-17-08 02:16 PM
    Great post Apollo
    07-17-08 02:20 PM
    Yes, you gained around 3MB. good job.
    No, it means you wasted your time waiting for your berry to reboot, and risked damaging it for no reason.

You had that memory available all the time, it just wasn't garbage collected because your JVM decided it wasn't worth collecting yet as you had gigs of other memory available.

Read my posts above to understand.
    07-17-08 04:14 PM
    You had that memory available all the time, it just wasn't garbage collected because your JVM decided it wasn't worth collecting yet as you had gigs of other memory available.
    Patrick, this post made more sense to me than just abouit anything else. I don't know why, I guess it just clicked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-08 05:08 PM
    I grow more and more fond of you after every post!! And we have extremely similar mind-sets!
    Um, thanks? Lol

07-17-08 05:16 PM
    Um, thanks? Lol

hahaha, didn't mean to creep you out or anything!

you just kept saying the exact thing I was thinking in my head, but did not have the will-power to type!
    07-17-08 05:18 PM
    I have had two Curves within the past year and never knew about this trick. Thanks
    07-17-08 05:31 PM
    but there are some apps,
    Viigo for instance that are notorious for degrading
    available memory.
    Very true.
    07-17-08 08:36 PM
    Viigo has never caused a memory issue for me, but that's probably because I update it manually, and only when I want see what's up currently. I also delete all entries as soon as I read tem and keep the app closed unless I'm actively using it.

07-17-08 08:49 PM
    How can I get to the event logs on my pearl 8130

07-17-08 10:01 PM
    Good thread Apollo. IMHO - There is a lot of good information from knowledgeable members on here. The debates about right/wrong means nothing to me. My advice to all would be to keep it positive. Why spoil a very informative thread?
    07-17-08 10:04 PM
    I just did an interesting experiment. FWIW I'm running 4.5.51 or whatever on an 8310/AT&T.

I have the following apps installed beyond the normal apps:
    Luiminescence Theme
    Facebook
    Google Sync
    Google Maps
    Crackberry Launcher
    Vlingo
    Telenav

I have removed PTT, my messages are set to retain on device for 14 days, and i have the Event Log disabled. Bluetooth on but not connected

1. Soft reset (alt+caps+delete)
    2. Alt+caps+h, file free 24,761,899
    3. Press End (didnt close)
    4. Open the following Apps, pressing end and not closing properly: Calendar, Address Book (and opened a contact), Alarm, Media, Video loaded (music video) but paused, MemoPad/Open a memo, Calculator, Set Up Bluetooth, TeleNav/Drive To Route, Facebook. (all other apps closed themselves from the application switcher when I hit End, and i forgot to open the browser). Then Options/Status.
    5. Status free mem: 24,418,029
    6. App Switch to Help Me! screen. Free mem: 24,761,899 (!)
    7. Close Help Me! and Re Open. Free mem: 24,655,757
    8. App Switch to Options/Status: Free mem: 24,655,793
    9. Close all apps by switching to and menu/close
    10. Open Help Me! Free Mem: 24,631,033 then menu/close
    11. Open Options/Status. Free mem: 24,713,649

I was surprised to see how little memory was "lost" having a ton of apps (for me at least) all open at the same time. I was also happy to see that closing everything got pretty much all of it "back", and kind of surprised to see that the Help Me! memory didn't match up with the Options/Status memory.

I'm thinking bottom line, I have more than enough memory on my device to not ever have to worry about things. I've made quite a few changes based upon what i've read here at CB as far as mem optimization and whatnot, even though I've never had an issue on my phone other than looking up my free memory and deciding arbitrarily that it wasn't enough. my phone has never locked up, acted weird, etc.

I'll have to look at the blackberrys we have at work that have had over 20,000 messages sent to them in the past several months to see what they look like for free memory. I know that with exceptional usage we've had to battery pull our 8700c to get the data connections working again, usually on days where we have sent it 2000 emails in 4 hours. I'll fire up the curve backup we have as well and see how it's doing.

I have 5 people who have blackberries that receive over 100 emails a day on average, often much more, who have not ever had to do a battery pull nor had anything weird happen other than physical damage.

my feeling is that the average non cb/blackberry hacking user does just fine without optimizing memory and pulling batteries. I'm determined to not touch mine again unless i have to.

Sorry for the long winded post.
    07-17-08 10:55 PM
    and since i wanted to break up the wall of text above, I have a question for the experts...what is with the database sizes? I've noticed I've been able to regain significant "free memory" by going in and deleting 1000 sms messages, or several MB worth of MMS messages.

as another test I took a picture with the curve and mms'ed it to myself twice, putting 4 copies in my inbox (2 sent 2 received). my mms database size went up by about 2500kb, and my file free mem went down about the same.

i deleted the 4 mms's, and my mms database immediately went back down 2700kb, and my file free mem stayed the same (didn't recover 2700kb). At this point I know i can get the mem back by soft resetting or battery pulling, but should I even care?
    07-17-08 11:13 PM
    I found out where a lot of memory goes but we don't realize it.
    This thread is really excellent in many ways. There is excellent information in several posts and really excellent info on ways to more efficiently program your BlackBerry.

Thanks to all who contributed. I learned several new things.
    07-18-08 04:27 AM
    Thanks also. I have learned about 3 or 4 different things in this thread alone myself. Just as Wirelessforever has stated also, thanks to ALL who has contributed.

07-18-08 05:19 AM

I have 5 people who have blackberries that receive over 100 emails a day on average, often much more, who have not ever had to do a battery pull nor had anything weird happen other than physical damage.

my feeling is that the average non cb/blackberry hacking user does just fine without optimizing memory and pulling batteries.

Well, if they are not running a beta OS, then sure, they should have no memory leak.
    07-18-08 05:24 AM
    Well, if they are not running a beta OS, then sure, they should have no memory leak.
    Well put Crucial. Which the Beta could be a major issue with a Berry like kryptonite to Superman, or some women to me.

07-18-08 05:39 AM
    I just did an interesting experiment. FWIW I'm running 4.5.51 or whatever on an 8310/AT&T.

I have the following apps installed beyond the normal apps:
    Luiminescence Theme
    Facebook
    Google Sync
    Google Maps
    Crackberry Launcher
    Vlingo
    Telenav

I have removed PTT, my messages are set to retain on device for 14 days, and i have the Event Log disabled. Bluetooth on but not connected

1. Soft reset (alt+caps+delete)
    2. Alt+caps+h, file free 24,761,899
    3. Press End (didnt close)
    4. Open the following Apps, pressing end and not closing properly: Calendar, Address Book (and opened a contact), Alarm, Media, Video loaded (music video) but paused, MemoPad/Open a memo, Calculator, Set Up Bluetooth, TeleNav/Drive To Route, Facebook. (all other apps closed themselves from the application switcher when I hit End, and i forgot to open the browser). Then Options/Status.
    5. Status free mem: 24,418,029
    6. App Switch to Help Me! screen. Free mem: 24,761,899 (!)
    7. Close Help Me! and Re Open. Free mem: 24,655,757
    8. App Switch to Options/Status: Free mem: 24,655,793
    9. Close all apps by switching to and menu/close
    10. Open Help Me! Free Mem: 24,631,033 then menu/close
    11. Open Options/Status. Free mem: 24,713,649

I was surprised to see how little memory was "lost" having a ton of apps (for me at least) all open at the same time. I was also happy to see that closing everything got pretty much all of it "back", and kind of surprised to see that the Help Me! memory didn't match up with the Options/Status memory.

I'm thinking bottom line, I have more than enough memory on my device to not ever have to worry about things. I've made quite a few changes based upon what i've read here at CB as far as mem optimization and whatnot, even though I've never had an issue on my phone other than looking up my free memory and deciding arbitrarily that it wasn't enough. my phone has never locked up, acted weird, etc.

I'll have to look at the blackberrys we have at work that have had over 20,000 messages sent to them in the past several months to see what they look like for free memory. I know that with exceptional usage we've had to battery pull our 8700c to get the data connections working again, usually on days where we have sent it 2000 emails in 4 hours. I'll fire up the curve backup we have as well and see how it's doing.

my feeling is that the average non cb/blackberry hacking user does just fine without optimizing memory and pulling batteries. I'm determined to not touch mine again unless i have to.

Very interesting finds.
    07-18-08 08:05 AM
    Oh I agree, I'm looking at it more from the angle of whether it's really a big deal to optimize memory for the average user.

I mean, in my own case, I started tweaking my memory because I read alot of stuff that says I should, not because I was having any problems...
    07-18-08 09:36 AM
124 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD