Guys, guess what I've just discovered!! We really don't have any memory leaks but I do stand corrected. I found out where a lot of memory goes but we don't realize it. If you press your ALT button along with LGLG, it will bring up your event log. After this is done click menu and go to clear log to clear it. It will be a good idea to pull your battery afterwards. EVERYTHING that we do on our Berries are recorded and unless you go in and clear that log from time to time, it will tremendously build up giving us the illusion that we have a memory leak. Hence, after that log is cleared, you have all of your original memory back. Again, I do stand corrected!!
    07-16-08 07:32 AM
    my event log was a mile long
    everything ive done was recorded
    but it seems like i got back 1 or 2 mgs
    my memory went up to18mgs from 12mgs
    07-16-08 08:27 AM
    my event log was a mile long
    everything ive done was recorded
    but it seems like i got back 1 or 2 mgs
    my memory went up to18mgs from 12mgs
    Good deal!! It wouldn't be a bad idea to do that every day or every other day. Since I have 2 batteries, I always do the event log thing before I pull the battery every day.
    07-16-08 08:32 AM
    Just tried it myself. my available memory went from 13.3 to 18.1..
    07-16-08 08:54 AM
    Guys, guess what I've just discovered!! We really don't have any memory leaks but I do stand corrected. I found out where a lot of memory goes but we don't realize it. If you press your ALT button along with LGLG, it will bring up your event log. After this is done click menu and go to clear log to clear it. It will be a good idea to pull your battery afterwards. EVERYTHING that we do on our Berries are recorded and unless you go in and clear that log from time to time, it will tremendously build up giving us the illusion that we have a memory leak. Hence, after that log is cleared, you have all of your original memory back. Again, I do stand corrected!!
    But is this safe to do?
    07-16-08 08:59 AM
    Yep it is! I also do it everyday!
    07-16-08 09:03 AM
    But is this safe to do?
    Sure, you're fine!! Just remember to pull your battery after you do it!!
    07-16-08 09:03 AM
    I also found that if you "close" the apps, your memory tends to leak a lot less than if you simply hit "end". Thanks for this tip, it's very helpful.
    07-16-08 09:17 AM
    Yep it is! I also do it everyday!
    Sure, you're fine!! Just remember to pull your battery after you do it!!
    Awesome. Gotta love this site and the people on it! Thanks
    Memory leaks still exist, but this is a good way to free up memory!
    Regardless of the event log or not, there is a memory leak that is associated with the 4.5 betas. However, this is a good way to free up some memory. Good job Apollo, as I'm sure a lot of members had no clue about this function.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 09:21 AM
    Memory leaks still exist, but this is a good way to free up memory!
    Bmcclure, that sounds challenging but the only question that no one can answer is WHERE! If you have any idea of where they could possibly go besides phone logs folder, missed calls folder, event log and anything else that we have on our Berries, I will be convinced. They just don't disappear and in my eyes, the event log would be a major viable option. Convince me??

07-16-08 09:24 AM
    Regardless of the event log or not, there is a memory leak that is associated with the 4.5 betas. However, this is a good way to free up some memory. Good job Apollo, as I'm sure a lot of members had no clue about this function.

Thanks, but just a I've asked bmmclure, where would the memory leak to?? I just don't think it just disappears in thin air. It has to go somewhere, right?? But where?? Event log to me would be the only place, as you've stated, a lot of people don't know about this option and I'm quite confident that's where it's going. If u can come up with a better answer, PLEASE let me know.

07-16-08 09:29 AM
    Bmcclure, that sounds challenging but the only question that no one can answer is WHERE! If you have any idea of where they could possibly go besides phone logs folder, missed calls folder, event log and anything else that we have on our Berries, I will be convinced. They just don't disappear and in my eyes, the event log would be a major viable option. Convince me??

Ok so perhaps I am reading this wrong, but I don't quite understand the way you phrased this. What is "they?" Is that the memoury leak??

And if I am reading this correctly, you want to be convinced that the memoury leak actually exists, yes? Well, that is simple. Read your available mem at the beginning of the day, then read it at the end. If that doesn't convince you, I don't know what will.
    07-16-08 09:31 AM
    Ok so perhaps I am reading this wrong, but I don't quite understand the way you phrased this. What is "they?" Is that the memoury leak??

And if I am reading this correctly, you want to be convinced that the memoury leak actually exists, yes? Well, that is simple. Read your available mem at the beginning of the day, then read it at the end. If that doesn't convince you, I don't know what will.
    Yes they is the memory leaks. As far as the beginning memory in the morning and the ending memory at the end of the day, keep in mind that phone calls were made, received, emails and web browsing has been going on the whole day and things of the sort. That part of it is simple, we all know this. No one has yet to tell me where. By the same token, I'm quite sure that I'm not the only person pondered on this. WHERE???

07-16-08 09:37 AM
    oooo thank you for this info!!!
    07-16-08 09:39 AM
    Ok I think I understand now.

You are asking specifically where this memoury goes?

Please bear with me, it is still early here in AZ.
    07-16-08 09:40 AM
    Another little trick with the event log....

Go into the event log and press the menu button and go to options.....
    scroll down to any of the check boxed items, press the menu button and choose "hide all types". All of the check boxes should changed to unchecked.

Press the menu button again and choose "save". The event log won't save anything from that point.

I hope this helps. Let me know
    07-16-08 09:42 AM
    Thanks Apollo - my memory increased ALOT!!!
    07-16-08 09:43 AM
    Ok. I have this worked out in my head, hopefully this comes across correctly:

The memoury doesn't necessarily "disappear" or "go anywhere." It is simply being used. So when you do a battery pull or optimize or whatever it is you do to get your memoury "back," you aren't really getting it "back," per se, you are just freeing it up, hence, making it available again.
    Ok I think I understand now.

You are asking specifically where this memoury goes?

Please bear with me, it is still early here in AZ.
    Ok, no problem. I'm just trying to prove a point. For the most part a high percentage of the members discuss memory leaks in certain Operating systems but no one has yet to say where the memory is leaking to. It just doesn't disappear sweetheart, that's what I'm saying.

Just because the lost memory cannot be traced does not mean there is no leak Memory leaks do not have to be caused by the event log, messages, call log, etc... that is why it is called a 'leak'. All of those things make up 'normal' memory usage (whethere you know how to clean up after them or not!). The 'normal' memory usage still causes memory loss, but it is not a leak.

A leak is some hole in code, error with garbage collecting, etc. that causes you to lose memory that cannot be recovered until you reset your device
    07-16-08 09:44 AM
    Ok, no problem. I'm just trying to prove a point. For the most part a high percentage of the members discuss memory leaks in certain Operating systems but no one has yet to say where the memory is leaking to. It just doesn't disappear sweetheart, that's what I'm saying.

Read my above post, #20.
    07-16-08 09:45 AM
    Ok. I have this worked out in my head, hopefully this comes across correctly:

The memoury doesn't necessarily "disappear" or "go anywhere." It is simply being used. So when you do a battery pull or optimize or whatever it is you do to get your memoury "back," you aren't really getting it "back," per se, you are just freeing it up, hence, making it available again.
    I can get with that, but what is actually using it???

07-16-08 09:45 AM
    Where? The answer to that is simply AWAY.

Try thinking of it in terms of your PC. You open an app
    and it needs resources to run (memory). When you close
    that app you would expect it to return most if not all
    of those resources. Some do, other do not.

Same with the BB. Maybe leaking is a bad term and it
    should be memory bleeding, but there are some apps,
    Viigo for instance that are notorious for degrading
    available memory.
    07-16-08 09:46 AM
124 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD