Hey everybody. I've been reading all the posts and everything I can find on optimizing memory and such. Here's my deal: I got my Curve 8310 in December, and when I bought it I also purchased a 4 GB chip. I only have a handful of apps, about 4 themes (and I'd like to have lots more 'cuz that's my "thing") lots of pictures, but they always say "saved to media card". The amount of memory I have on the phone is 12001540 bytes. That just doesn't seem like it's enough for me, or am I not understanding? Also, when I go to options and then media card, it ALWAYS, no matter what I've been doing, says "total space 3.7 GB, free space 3.6 GB". SO HELP!!
    03-21-09 05:50 PM
    It depends on how you are closing apps. Are you hitting menu key then selecting close or are you just hitting the end call key or back key? Also depending on what OS version you have will determine how much file free you will have. The newer OS version have more file free to start with. Are you using facebook? Thats a known memory hog .
    03-21-09 06:05 PM
    I'm not using Facebook. My OS is 4.5.0. My apps are google mobile and google mail, yahoo mail, CB launcher, BB Wap, Tetris and Bubble Popper, that's it! I used to have Viigo but I had to let that one go. And like I said, I have a bunch of pics, but I know they're all on the media card. As far as for sure closing when i go out of calls or my meager little apps, I'm not sure if I'm closing it or not because I don't remember.
    03-21-09 06:15 PM
    Ooops, I forgot, yesterday I put iheartradio on there.
    03-21-09 06:16 PM
    Maybe that is doing it. Did the memory issue just come up? Also how often do you do a battery pull?
    03-21-09 06:52 PM
    No, it's not the radio thing because it's been like this for the whole time I've had the phone. I haven't done a battery pull in a couple of weeks, but I have done it in the past....there's got to be some stupid little thing I'm not doing right, I don't know. Don't you think I should have way more memory than that?
    03-21-09 06:56 PM
    Do the battery pull, a few weeks is a long time to go between battery pulls or resets. Your free memory should go up, most likely.
    03-21-09 07:00 PM
    If the above suggestions from my fellow addicts have not helped and the battery pull did not recover a good amount here are some tips to give you a little extra boost

1. Delete all texts or unneeded texts and emails. People who save hundreds of texts will eventually have memory related issues.

2. Make sure you close all apps properly (menu>close) as well as move all media (ringtones, pictures, video etc) to a media card - if you dont have a media card its a good idea to get one to keep the pictures, ringtones off the device memory.

3. Clear your browser cache (browser>options>cache operations)

4. Clear the event log........On your keypad hold down the alt key and type lglg and clear the event log (ignore the warning).

5. If you have too many themes or applications maybe cut down on a few you dont use. Facebook would be the first place I would go for an app that needed to be deleted.

6. Keep an eye on what applications are running hold alt & hit esc (button right of the trackball) it will show you 5. (phone, messages, bbm, home screen, browser) anything else in there is running and you should look into it..

Basic housecleaning is all you need to avoid this issue in the future.... After you complete many of these if not all - pull the battery with the phone on, wait 30 seconds, replace, when you boot back up check your new file free memory size.

This thread below will help you if you want to do even more memory optimization.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    03-21-09 08:25 PM
    Hey thanks for all the great tips but I want to tell you something else. I did the battery pull that the other guy suggested and to my surprise the memory had gone from 11 to 18! However I went back & looked at it again about 30 mins later & it had gone down to 14! I hadn't even touched it, what's up with that???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 08:46 PM
    I'd be the other guy.

And that my friend is major memory leak.
    03-21-09 08:48 PM
    I'd be the other guy.

Indeed Xlide was right on the da kine - over a few days that drop would mean nothing but in 30 minutes, its a leak......
    03-21-09 08:49 PM
    Hi other guy! Why is it leaking & what do I do to fix it?

03-21-09 08:51 PM
    Hi other guy! Why is it leaking & what do I do to fix it?

I dunno!

The usual suspects are Facebook, and Viigo, and anything else that runs in the background for alerts and updates.
    03-21-09 08:55 PM
    I don't have facebook or viigo.

03-21-09 08:56 PM
    A little difficult to nail down what is causing it, what apps are installed? What is the file free at now? alt - shift - h
    03-21-09 08:58 PM
    Did you go through the list of suggestions in post #8 that Trem posted?
    03-21-09 08:59 PM
    The file free is now at 15. My apps are listed above, not much really.

03-21-09 09:00 PM
    Well I personally would ensure that all the media is in fact on the card and not the device. The battery pull taking you from 11 to 18 now to 15 is actually okay, if it plummets more then there is an issue but a differential of 5 megs per reboot is actually okay as long as it holds stable. iHeartradio of the apps you listed above is the only one I would look into but it shouldnt be an issue. Do the steps I posted and see what that does for you after you pull the battery again then just watch the memory. If you see more than 5mb's in a day(s) loss without a reset there is an issue and I would trouble shoot each app, but that is just me.....
    03-21-09 09:06 PM
    I've done all but #4. When I do that nothing happens. For #6 the only extra thing there is push to talk which I've never ever used. When I try to delete it, it tries to turn on so I don't know what to do about that.

03-21-09 09:09 PM
    Push to talk, carrier thems, and VAD (voice activated dialing) can be removed by using the CrackMem program to remove them while reloading your OS to your BB. It could gain you some extra memory. If you aren't on OS 4.5 then it would be a good time to run CrackMem while doing the upgrade.
    03-21-09 09:12 PM
    I'd be the other guy.

That is normal useage for a BlackBerry, not a memory leak.

A battery pull will clear all the temporary files and workspace, leaving you with your maximum available memory.

Normal use will consume some memory. In my experience, about 10 Mb is used, then it remains very stable.

Earlier OS version have a reserved memory limit of 12 Mb, the newer version now supports a 5 Mb reserve. Your BlackBerry should operate normally as long as the free memory does not fall below the reserved limit.

03-22-09 11:27 AM
    one thing i noticed is i had an 8900 replica them for my curve i downloaded from pimpmyberr.com and the thing would leak memory literally with no use if i just kept it on my desk all day and recieved a few emails texts i could lose maybe up to 4 mb which is ridiculous for no usage. well i downloaded a similar version i purchased from cbstore made by mobihand and there is no more memory leak. i was doing a batt pull daily otherwise the mem kept working its way down now i have like 8 different apps and stay very high with memory. so double check those themes.
    03-22-09 11:44 AM
    anyone know how much memory we should have on the 8900 to have it keep running smoothly? my memory goes down so fast...when i do a battery pull, i believe i start with 130 mb and it can go down to 109 mb in an hour or so. I know I need to delete some apps but it is ridiculous when every move I make with my phone, I have to wait with the stupid hourglass taking it's sweet time..
    03-25-09 12:17 PM
    Hey everybody. I've been reading all the posts and everything I can find on optimizing memory and such. Here's my deal: I got my Curve 8310 in December, and when I bought it I also purchased a 4 GB chip. I only have a handful of apps, about 4 themes (and I'd like to have lots more 'cuz that's my "thing") lots of pictures, but they always say "saved to media card". The amount of memory I have on the phone is 12001540 bytes. That just doesn't seem like it's enough for me, or am I not understanding? Also, when I go to options and then media card, it ALWAYS, no matter what I've been doing, says "total space 3.7 GB, free space 3.6 GB". SO HELP!!
    This is for your memory card, right? Just a note, you can't save apps or themes to your memory card. This goes onto your Application Memory ("file free" memory).

Your memory card is strictly for media files, or documents.
    03-25-09 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD