Everytime I lock my phone, the hourglass shows up for like 2 seconds. This is only with the memory cleaning feature on though. When I turn memory cleaning off, the hourglass doesn't appear when I lock the phone. Is this normal or not? If so, why. Thanks in advance (:

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 11:31 AM
    I've never noticed the hourglass. My Memory Cleaning function is locked on by my IT policy, so I can't turn in off to check the difference. The hourglass could be due to the Memory Cleaner. It runs whenever you lock the device, holster it, or after 5 seconds of inactivity by default. I wouldn't worry about it.
    11-01-09 11:45 AM
    what does the mem cleaner even do?
    11-01-09 02:18 PM
    Memory Cleaning
    Clean When Holstered: Yes
    Clean When Idle: Yes
    Idle Timeout: 5 min
    Show Icon on Home Screen: No

Registered Cleaners
    Address Book Cache
    Certificate Search
    Certificate Status Manager
    Clipboard
    Content Protection Cache
    Encrypted Messages
    Key Store
    PGP Key Search

From the PGP Support Package User Guide Supplement. The BlackBerry device automatically turns on the feature for secure garbage collection when the PGP Support Package for BlackBerry devices is installed and the private key of the user is on the BlackBerry device. When the feature for secure garbage collection is turned on, the BlackBerry device performs the following actions:
    • overwrites the memory reclaimed by the standard garbage collection process with zeroes
    • periodically runs the memory cleaner application, which tells BlackBerry device applications to clear any caches and make available the memory associated with unused, sensitive application data
    • automatically overwrites the memory that the memory cleaner application makes available when it runs
    The memory cleaner application is designed to delete unreferenced or cached decrypted content from the BlackBerry device, including content from the PGP application, PGP key store, content protection cache, address book cache, PGP key search, and BlackBerry device clipboard.
    You can set the memory cleaning application to run automatically when the
    • user synchronizes the BlackBerry device with the computer
    • user locks the BlackBerry device
    • BlackBerry device locks after a specified amount of idle time
    • user changes the time or time zone on the BlackBerry device
    11-01-09 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD