I was just wondering what memory cleaning "chores" you all do on a daily or weekly basis. More specifically what logs, caches, etc. you clear and how often to maintain a nice clean device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-08 01:41 AM
    The only two things I do is clear my browser cache prior to closing it and
    every once in a while use DM to clear the Content Store. Rarely do I do
    a reset anymore unless absolutely needed and it has been quite some time
    since the last time.

I don't keep call logs, delete my text messages as soon as I'm done
    reading them and delete my email from the phone but leave them
    on my PC so those are not really issues for me.
    11-17-08 02:15 AM
    Not too much of anything really. I do a pretty frequent check of any apps that I hvaent used in quite a while and remove them and also only keep 24 hours worth of e-mails or SMS's on my device at any one time
    11-17-08 06:09 AM
    Delete messages and call log daily
    Delete all browser cache when i log off
    I have the memory auto cleaner set on every 5 minutes, but I run it manually atleast once a day.
    11-17-08 06:42 AM
    I do the same as you all do. I was just wondering if I was being anal or if it was common.

11-17-08 08:37 AM
    Running the Memory Cleaner automatically every 5 minutes AND manually once a day is a little overkill. For example, I just checked my file free. It's 25 161 444. Without doing anything else, I manually performed the Memory Clean, then checked my file free again. It's now 25 161 276. The Memory Cleaner has no significant affect on free memory. I'm not even sure that the memory it cleans is included in the file free space.

11-17-08 09:17 AM
    Heck I just do a soft reset once a day.
    11-17-08 09:19 AM
    I just make sure that I close whatever application I've been using and clear out my messages every night or in the morning.
    11-17-08 09:39 AM
    I don't keep call logs, ....

how would one apply this setting? do you have to manually delete your log one by one?
    11-20-08 08:45 AM
    The only two things I do is clear my browser cache prior to closing it and
    since the last time.

I don't keep call logs, delete my text messages as soon as I'm done
    reading them and delete my email from the phone but leave them
    on my PC so those are not really issues for me.
    How exactly do you go about clearing the Content Store?? I've been wondering about this for a while. Thanks!
    12-27-08 04:01 PM
    How exactly do you go about clearing the Content Store?? I've been wondering about this for a while. Thanks!
    Use the Advanced Backup and Restore button on Desktop Manager. Select the Content Store in the right window and click the Clear button. You can't delete it entirely, but you can usually reduce its size.

12-27-08 04:10 PM
    Use the Advanced Backup and Restore button on Desktop Manager. Select the Content Store in the right window and click the Clear button. You can't delete it entirely, but you can usually reduce its size.

Thank you very much!!!
    12-27-08 04:17 PM
    Running the Memory Cleaner automatically every 5 minutes AND manually once a day is a little overkill. For example, I just checked my file free. It's 25 161 444. Without doing anything else, I manually performed the Memory Clean, then checked my file free again. It's now 25 161 276. The Memory Cleaner has no significant affect on free memory. I'm not even sure that the memory it cleans is included in the file free space.

I always wondered if the Memory Cleaner actually had any effect on file free. I am still not convinced that it does. I have run into others on CB who swear by it however. Am I missing something?
    12-27-08 04:20 PM
    The Memory Cleaner has no significant affect on free memory. I'm not even sure that the memory it cleans is included in the file free space.
    PMJI here, but there seems to be a lot of confusion about Memory Cleaner. As documented (various user manuals) MC only seems to be relevant if the device has used encrypted data (mainly with Content Protection). When an application requires data it is decrypted from encrypted long term storage and a temporary clear copy is held in memory for the application to use. MC simply destroys the decrypted temporary copies of data. It probably does this by overwriting the data with garbage. It does not release application memory or recycle it back to the unallocated pool. Allocated memory has to be surrendered by the application to which it is allocated, then recycled by Memory Manager when garbage collection runs from time to time.

The majority of personal (BIS) users probably don't use Content Protection so Memory Cleaner will have no useful function. Even for those who do protect it is likely that only a few tens of kilobytes will be decrypted on most occasions so the gain will be small when Memory Manager recovers the memory.

It is unfortunate this is not more clearly described in the manuals, and the name is at best confusing without RTFM.
    12-27-08 04:32 PM
    PMJI here, but there seems to be a lot of confusion about Memory Cleaner. As documented (various user manuals) MC only seems to be relevant if the device has used encrypted data (mainly with Content Protection). When an application requires data it is decrypted from encrypted long term storage and a temporary clear copy is held in memory for the application to use. MC simply destroys the decrypted temporary copies of data. It probably does this by overwriting the data with garbage. It does not release application memory or recycle it back to the unallocated pool. Allocated memory has to be surrendered by the application to which it is allocated, then recycled by Memory Manager when garbage collection runs from time to time.

The majority of personal (BIS) users probably don't use Content Protection so Memory Cleaner will have no useful function. Even for those who do protect it is likely that only a few tens of kilobytes will be decrypted on most occasions so the gain will be small when Memory Manager recovers the memory.

It is unfortunate this is not more clearly described in the manuals, and the name is at best confusing without RTFM.
    You can always count on Branta to have useful info such as this. Great explanation.
    12-27-08 04:47 PM
    [QUOTE=amazinglygraceless;981254]The only two things I do is clear my browser cache prior to closing it and
    since the last time.QUOTE]

I understand clearing the cache and all that. But what exactly does the content store do?
    12-27-08 05:55 PM
    The Content Store is used by the BlackBerry OS to hold options settings and variables, and as working storage for temporary files that are created as apps are installed and removed. That's why it increases in size over time. It may have other purposes as well. It may be where pictures associated with address book entries are stored. I read that somewhere, but I can't verify it. Perhaps branta or another user will have some additional information.
    12-27-08 06:12 PM
    I understand clearing the cache and all that. But what exactly does the content store do?
    This is a list of the databases on the BlackBerry and their purpose. With the
    content store, (and this is to the best of my limited knowledge) there are
    entries that cannot be removed. The ones that can are essentially temporary
    entries that get picked up in normal use, ie, browsing, OTA downloads, etc..
    12-27-08 06:12 PM
    AG got there first, the RIM doc he linked seems to give a comprehensive list. It identifies Content Store as "Contains pictures and other media content stored on the smartphone." We can assume this is mostly user generated/received stuff because a lot of the other databases cover the remaining data, and things like ringtones can be found as discrete files.
    12-28-08 08:05 AM
    You can always count on Branta to have useful info such as this. Great explanation.
    There's no great skill to RTFM and then think for a few minutes about what it means in practical use. Technical and programming background helps but it's not essential - in fact it makes writing the description here more difficult because it's too easy to slip into programming terms like instance, pointer, reference...
    12-28-08 08:12 AM
    Is memory cleaner an app you have to install or is it already on you BB? If so, where is it?
    12-28-08 04:34 PM
    It's a security app. You find it under Options / Security. If you don't see it listed, it's because you have to have a Password and Content Protection enabled for it to be an option. It's a security function, it won't give you any additional free memory.
    12-28-08 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD