Got a new Pearl from Verizon a couple of weeks ago. Everything installed fine and I was up and running with everything from the old one in a couple hours. But, when I open Media Manager, it take forever to start up, sense the Pearl and actually DO something. It is very painful. So much that it is virtually unusable.

I also get a message that tells me to turn Mass Media Mode on the the BBerry but it already is. I do not have a media card in it yet, only the memory the Pearl comes with.

I am on the latest version available for Verizon.

Anybody got similar experience and, hopefully, know how to fix it?
    08-25-08 04:24 PM
    I have a similar problem with mine and my bb Curve8330..
    Also new from Verizon, maybe that's the issue.. (damn verizon)

After a while, it started running a little faster, to the point of actually being able to use it, though it still is painful. Has it speeded up at all?
    08-25-08 04:30 PM
    No, it didn't. Every start up is awful. In fact, every time I try to do anything, the thing just sits there. The last two times I started it up, I ended up going into Windows Task Manager and Ending Task to get rid of it.
    08-25-08 05:22 PM
    I'd say get a memory card.......there isnt a lot of memory on the Pearl to begin with......
    08-25-08 05:50 PM
    A lot of people have problems with Roxio Media Manager. One member dubbed it "Poxio." The good news, you can do without it. Download the version of Desktop Manager that doesn't include it. And don't set Desktop Manager to run on startup. You'll have to use Media Manager on your BlackBerry to get your pictures out of device memory and onto your Media Card, but once they're out, you can use Mass Storage Mode to move them to/from your PC. If you need to convert music or videos, I can give you a list of Roxio alternatives.

You don't have to put up with Media Manager.
    08-25-08 05:57 PM
    I have the very same issue. So I never use it. I just treat my phone as if it's a usb hub. I just drag & drop everything.
    08-25-08 06:14 PM
    JeffH,
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking along the same lines of finding a way to not use that horror of a software program. You saved me time and energy in figuring it out.

I now have photos set to always get stored on the memory card so I don't even have to use MM on the BB to get to them. So, when I hook up my Pearl to the USB cable, it looks just like another removable disk and all photos can be dragged and dropped.

Please let me know how you handle music and video.
    08-27-08 09:46 AM
    JeffH,
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking along the same lines of finding a way to not use that horror of a software program. You saved me time and energy in figuring it out.

I now have photos set to always get stored on the memory card so I don't even have to use MM on the BB to get to them. So, when I hook up my Pearl to the USB cable, it looks just like another removable disk and all photos can be dragged and dropped.

Please let me know how you handle music and video.
    Not sure which one you consider the horrible program. You NEED desktop manager; you DONT NEED Roxio media manager.
    08-27-08 09:51 AM
    Roxio MM is the horrible program. I've been using BBs for 5+ years. Desktop Manager is essential.
    08-27-08 09:56 AM
    ...Please let me know how you handle music and video.
    Here is Pete's list of Roxio alternatives. I don't have any music or videos on my 8830, so I haven't personally used any of these, but I trust a recommendation from Pete:

AUDIO
    use MP3 format and get Audacity: Windows and Audacity: How do I download and install the LAME MP3 encoder?

PICTURES
    Get Image resizing, do it with PIXresizer which will resize any/all your pics for the BlackBerry

VIDEOS
    Get Blackberry Video Converter from Seabyrd Technologies - Blackberry Video Converter
    08-27-08 12:07 PM
    The Poxio product is a truly horrible piece of software. It slows down your PC even when you are not running Desktop Manager because it keeps at least one job permanently running.

You can get a no-media manager (sans Poxio) version of Desktop Manager from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22 and then you should download and install this file 460_b015_english_nomediamanager.exe after selecting v4.6.

As Jeff says, there are ways of doing all the Media tasks rather than using Poxio. All the links he posts work well.

You should set your Media Card up like this.

With the Media Card installed, goto Options, Media Card and set

Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: None - unless you are paranoid
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Now when you connect your phone to the PC (provided DM is installed). The phone will prompt you to enable Mass Storage Mode. Select Yes and the Media Card will show up in My Computer and then you can Drag 'n Drop your files to the correct places on the Media Card.

Now you can Drag and Drop to your BlackBerry just as if it were a USB drive.
    Last edited by Pete6; 08-27-08 at 12:27 PM.
    08-27-08 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD