OK! I have a huge headache now...I upgraded to the new OS for my bold 9700. The first problem I had was that sms was giving me an error meesage of "uncaught exception" so I had to do a wipe...BUT when I restored all my stuff my thrid party apps are no longer installed and my camera/video camera won't work...I get an error message that says "media card secured by another device". I have so much info on my media card and it shows up as still on it but I can't see my pics, videos or apps????

How do I get my card to work again? if I back it up and format the card can I move the pics ect back to the card?

and how the heck do I get all my apps back? I went to my app world to reinstall some but not all fit on the history so how do I get those back?

any help would be much appreciated...I've never had any of these problems before.

Thanks so much
    Jensine
    06-13-10 08:38 PM
    Before you do anything else, connect it to a computer and copy all of the files from the media card onto the computer. Then you have a current backup in case something goes wrong. Can you see your pictures and videos on the card with the computer?
    06-14-10 07:51 AM
    I get an error message that says "media card secured by another device". I have so much info on my media card and it shows up as still on it but I can't see my pics, videos or apps????
    Unless you truly have information that needs encryption you should turn off encryption on your SD card. Your phone is expecting the old OS to access the SD card. ALWAYS turn of encryption on your SD card before switching phones or OS's. You need to restore the old OS and hopefuly the phone will appear to be the same to your SD card and you can turn off encryption. Then you can copy your info for safe keeping. If encryption is off you can use the card in another phone or access the info with a card reader.
    06-14-10 02:46 PM
    Make a folder on your computer and move all your files from your media card to that folder. Then reformat your card and put what you want back onto the card.
    06-14-10 02:48 PM
    Before you do anything else, connect it to a computer and copy all of the files from the media card onto the computer. Then you have a current backup in case something goes wrong. Can you see your pictures and videos on the card with the computer?

I downgraded to the last OS system and it still says that its secured by another device even though I turned off encryption. I can see all my folders, and apps and the pics and videos I can see the names but the not actual pics? How do I get rid of the REM file extension?
    06-14-10 07:50 PM

I downgraded to the last OS system and it still says that its secured by another device even though I turned off encryption. I can see all my folders, and apps and the pics and videos I can see the names but the not actual pics? How do I get rid of the REM file extension?
    Use BBFileScout or Rename them on your computer.

Linux: Right click, rename. Remove the .REM and click outside the filename or hit enter. Done.

Windows, go into Tools -> Folder Options, uncheck the settings that say Hide known file name extensions and click OK. Now rename the file, remove the extension, done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-10 11:04 PM
    Changing the file extension will NOT remove the encryption.

To the OP, were the files encrypted on a different device?
    06-15-10 05:28 AM
    If the device the OP had before was swapped out, for one, I think the encryption is locked to the PIN. Changing devices makes all data not available and it can't be decrypted.

Never use encryption on an SD card. If your device is ever damaged, you'll loose access to that data, whichever it is, on the card.

I hope the OP has the old device.

06-15-10 05:39 AM
    the media card that is not working has only been used on my bold 9700 which is still the same phone I'm using but for some reason after the wipe I did it won't let me see my stuff anymore...is there anyway to fix this?
    06-15-10 09:21 PM
    the media card that is not working has only been used on my bold 9700 which is still the same phone I'm using but for some reason after the wipe I did it won't let me see my stuff anymore...is there anyway to fix this?
    Seems to be no possible way to regenerate the key, try a Repair on the card after disabling encryption and see if that does anything. Or else, just start fresh. I can't help you there.

Options -> Memory -> BB Menu -> Repair
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 06-15-10 at 09:29 PM.
    06-15-10 09:26 PM
    Seems to be no possible way to regenerate the key, try a Repair on the card after disabling encryption and see if that does anything. Or else, just start fresh. I can't help you there.

Options -> Memory -> BB Menu -> Repair
    Ok I tried that but it first said "successful" then it says it contains encrypted files and cannot be accessed...I tried to go look at my pics and I can see the file names but no pics
    06-15-10 09:32 PM
    Okay it looks like you have no choice but to format the card to remove the encryption. If it doesn't work on the bb, try it on your computer. Check off "full format".

06-15-10 09:34 PM
    Okay it looks like you have no choice but to format the card to remove the encryption. If it doesn't work on the bb, try it on your computer. Check off "full format".

but if I format I'll lose everything right?
    06-15-10 09:38 PM
    I'm afraid so

From now on, keep encryption disabled unless your in the military you won't lose access to anything then.

06-15-10 09:40 PM
    I'm afraid so

From now on, keep encryption disabled unless your in the military you won't lose access to anything then.

I never turned it on...I think it was because of the wipe I had to do because after that is when it messed up on me
    06-15-10 09:47 PM
    I never turned it on...I think it was because of the wipe I had to do because after that is when it messed up on me
    When you choose to wipe your device, NEVER select Media Card, just remove the card and stick it in the new device. No need to wipe it. Dam bb corrupted everything on the card, those .REM files are corrupt now

06-15-10 09:50 PM
    I didn't select media card when I did the wipe but apparently it still did something to it...next time I'll make sure I take the card out first no matter what; its sad that I lost everything though...I wish blackberry had a way to back up your card or something online like you can do with a computer
    06-18-10 11:33 AM
    If encryption is the culprit, I would say that it 'worked' the way it was supposed to. Unfortunately, it did not work the way you expected.
    06-18-10 11:42 AM
    Okay, My stupid as* friend entered my device password 10 times as a joke and my bb was wiped out. All my files as will as SD card was encrypted (Device Password + Device Key).

The good thing is that I Had made a full backup the day before, but when I restored the device through backup, I get SD card is secured by another device.

is there a solution here, I'm using the same device same password.

is there a solution here, I have more than 700 pics & video's

what shall i do guys
    08-15-10 08:46 PM
    Format the card. Sorry to say that. Do not encrypt you SD card, ever in my opinion. If your phone pukes out you cannot get the info off of it.
    08-15-10 08:55 PM
    Format the card. Sorry to say that. Do not encrypt you SD card, ever in my opinion. If your phone pukes out you cannot get the info off of it.
    I would agree with you if I'm using a new device, but what is making me go crazy is that its the same device, SD card never removed.

But let me ask you, would the device key randomly change after the wipe-out happened, would this be the issue. shouldn't the device key remain the same.

thanks in advance for your first response.
    08-15-10 10:06 PM
    If you have a backup of your BB at the time when you had your old OS then you could try restoring.
    08-16-10 06:18 AM
    It may be trim to call your carrier and have them put you in touch with Rim. It seems that the same device with the same password should not lock you out but that is my opinion. It may not work that way.
    08-16-10 08:33 AM
    You can't use those .rem files any more -- hate to break it to you. I had this same problem on an old 8100. I lost ALL of my photos during the time I had encryption on.
    08-16-10 07:09 PM
    I would agree with you if I'm using a new device, but what is making me go crazy is that its the same device, SD card never removed.

But let me ask you, would the device key randomly change after the wipe-out happened, would this be the issue. shouldn't the device key remain the same.

thanks in advance for your first response.
    The encryption key will be different. That's why RIM's security is so well known. I learned the hard way too. The average user has no need to encrypt. In a corporate environment maybe. However, the same situation happens there too.
    08-16-10 07:51 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD