Is it me , or does the media pounce on blackberry when there's any kind of news pertaining to them, and especially vice who is this media outlet, and there's city TV God blaaaaa, I mean the alleged decryption key was back in 2010 I know know we here about wt_ really????

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-17-16 10:06 AM
    BlackBerry is THE Canadian tech play at the moment. Hence, it is always in the area of concern for Canadian media.

As all BlackBerry-released PR information is positive by definition, so the Canadian media tend to the negative point-of-view in order to be "balanced".

There may be the added factor that at its height BlackBerry's co-CEOs were overwhelmingly proud/arrogant. This seems to have have led to lasting bad feelings in the media (or schadenfreude?).

I think that that explains your observations.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-16 10:20 AM
    I hear nothing in the States about Blackberry.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    04-17-16 10:56 AM
    I hear nothing in the States about Blackberry.
    Perhaps, because BlackBerry is close to our media-central (i.e. Toronto) location it is more often in Canadian media.
    04-17-16 11:27 AM
    Any media here in the US is either negative or slanted. That being said who are the major tech sponsors of media through advertising dollars? Perhaps that has something to do with it? (Always follow the money. It never lies)

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    04-17-16 11:32 AM
    With the exception of some positive comments about the Priv, haven't read much of anything. For me, after the delay for the initial BB10 launch, I purposely stopped following negativity articles and enjoyed my BlackBerries. LOL, especially after the "BlackBerry is dead" threads and media articles(....or negative threads about the negative articles) started prior to the BB10 launch. ��

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 04-18-16 at 09:31 AM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-17-16 11:47 AM
    Maybe because they constantly screw up.
    Blacklatino, kbz1960 and MC_A_DOT like this.
    04-17-16 11:53 AM
    Nah, it can't be that. It's obviously some sort of anti-BlackBerry crusade...in a crazy, twisted parallel universe where BB is completely perfect and has never done anything worthy of negative press.
    04-17-16 12:10 PM
    Just to throw water on the latest "blame the media for BlackBerry's troubles" post, when you have negativity around you, or when your executive team makes boneheaded decisions, you should expect negative press.
    04-17-16 12:12 PM
    Just to throw water on the latest "blame the media for BlackBerry's troubles" post, when you have negativity around you, or when your executive team makes boneheaded decisions, you should expect negative press.
    Can't disagree that BlackBerry has been unsuccessful in responding to the iPhone since the beginning.

But, the observation is that the Canadian press is unrelentingly negative with respect to BlackBerry. Of course, their defence is that they only report the news. That defence discounts that the media can set a tone in reporting the news.

There's a world of difference between 'BlackBerry Releases New Devices' and 'BlackBerry Releases Last Chance Devices'. (No, these are not real examples of headlines.)
    04-17-16 12:37 PM
    Blackberry is more relevant to Canada so it covers it more. Rarely hear anything in the states regarding Blackberry that isn't a rehash of something that is already published in Canada or in other areas with strong Blackberry presence. Media in general covers negative stories more because they know it interests more people 'if it bleeds it leads' .
    04-17-16 12:51 PM
    It does seem that, if there is anything positive about BlackBerry, or a rise in its stock value, there is a flurry of negative press releases. Remember the "analyst" who released the false "news" that more Z10s were being returned than were being sold. He was eventually prosecuted but the harm was done. There seems to be an element of stock market manipulation going on by the shortsellers as millions are made by these guys if BlackBerry is kept down. I am not blaming the media for BlackBerry's decline but feel that relentless negative reporting hurt them.

BB, Still the One
    04-17-16 01:05 PM
    It does seem that, if there is anything positive about BlackBerry, or a rise in its stock value, there is a flurry of negative press releases. Remember the "analyst" who released the false "news" that more Z10s were being returned than were being sold. He was eventually prosecuted but the harm was done. There seems to be an element of stock market manipulation going on by the shortsellers as millions are made by these guys if BlackBerry is kept down. I am not blaming the media for BlackBerry's decline but feel that relentless negative reporting hurt them.

BB, Still the One
    you have it back to front - there was no suggestion it was false - the problem was that he knew it to be true because his company was paying someone at wireless zone's Verizon stores for data...

The statement was:

We believe key retail partners have seen a significant increase in Z10 returns to the point where, in several cases, returns are now exceeding sales, a phenomenon we have never seen before,� Detwiler analyst Jeff Johnston writes in the report.
    At the trial, there was no dispute that the information was accurate.
    04-17-16 03:06 PM
    Who does not? There are constant flaws and issues with Android and iOS updates and upgrades.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    04-17-16 03:56 PM
    Who does not? There are constant flaws and issues with Android and iOS updates and upgrades.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    And Apple and Google are berated in the media when it happens. No one (at least in the states) reports on Blackberry period.
    04-17-16 05:00 PM
    For OP. US media covers Microsoft as its a US company much more than BB and when WinMobile stories make it to media its frequently negative. For example the recent decision for Win10 mobile upgrade to bypass many WinMobile models, effectively splitting the existing userbase, was widely slammed in the US tech media.
    04-17-16 05:54 PM
    When you are below 1% market share you can't have news good enough to be newsworthy,
    04-17-16 06:29 PM
    As Donnation stated, Apple and Microsoft are the major players here in the USA and that's what the media is going to be focused on.

Not on Blackberry who has all been but forgotten here. This is not spreading negativity or any of that crap, it's just reality folks.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    04-17-16 07:26 PM
    For OP. US media covers Microsoft as its a US company much more than BB and when WinMobile stories make it to media its frequently negative. For example the recent decision for Win10 mobile upgrade to bypass many WinMobile models, effectively splitting the existing userbase, was widely slammed in the US tech media.
    Windows Phone is looked upon as some great savior on here... and yet in reality Microsoft breaks promises (WP10 upgrade availability), lays people off (18,000 jobs lost after Nokia acquisition), and delays software releases. Their halo is about as clean as BlackBerry's.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    04-18-16 05:29 AM
    Most of the positive for BlackBerry have to do with things that most news readers aren't going to be interested in. QNX this or QNX that... boring.

Everyone loves a good train wreck, and BlackBerry's hardware division has derailed so often... It's like "what have they done now"?
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    04-18-16 07:40 AM
    Can't disagree that BlackBerry has been unsuccessful in responding to the iPhone since the beginning.
    Back then the iphones of the time were seen by many to have their roots in being a super-duper music player, reaching out to the Sony Walkman segment of the market. While the BlackBerry was seen to have its roots in being an always-on rapid messaging tool, reaching out to the likes of stock market traders & politicians. I guess at that time you might consider one product's success not to influence the other's success. Things have sure changed now.
    04-18-16 09:21 AM
    Back then the iphones of the time were seen by many to have their roots in being a super-duper music player, reaching out to the Sony Walkman segment of the market. While the BlackBerry was seen to have its roots in being an always-on rapid messaging tool, reaching out to the likes of stock market traders & politicians. I guess at that time you might consider one product's success not to influence the other's success. Things have sure changed now.
    What's sad is that BlackBerry wasn't all that slow to create a music player for BBOS... they just didn't understand the importance of a way to get the music in the first place.
    04-18-16 09:29 AM
    Maybe, it's well documented. Regardless, I don't need to read numerous articles to convince me when I already know that BlackBerries' business tactics didn't change when the name changed from R.I.M. to BlackBerry. It's called "lessons learned, not learned"......as history repeats itself.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-18-16 09:47 AM
    BBRY don't get much air-time here in the UK. It's usually only the BBC Tech correspondents who mention anything in the main stream media. Even then, it's tucked away in the Technology section. It is usually unbiased though, so I don't mind.
    04-18-16 10:34 AM
    ... I guess at that time you might consider one product's success not to influence the other's success. Things have sure changed now.
    Yeah-but, that's the function of senior management - to accurately consider opportunities and threats. My understanding is that the threat was recognised, but the response was botched.

[Well, enough of that. That horse has been flogged until there's not much left.]
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-18-16 12:14 PM
31 12