As y'all know, when you send an EMAIL from your BB, you get a message from your BB address to your email address with "delivered" in the subject line that says, "Your message was delivered to the recipient."

What does this message mean exactly?

1) The message arrived at the recipient's ISP (webmail)?

2) The message arrived in their inbox on their computer (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.)?

3) They OPENED the message a) in their webmail and/or b) in their computer's email client?

Bonus Question for extra points) What if the person ONLY does webmail? What if they leave their computer on all the time and their webmail open all the time? This would seem to suggest that the "delivered" notification is triggered when the email arrives in their webmail. But then how do you know if they've opened it?

Choose all that apply.

There's one particular person that I email (ahem) and I like to know that he has opened my email and when he has opened it-- not necessarily that it has arrived in his webmail/email client and it's just sitting there unopened and unread.

Yeah, I've tried secretly implanting a head cam and GPS locator in his toupee, but he's caught me every time. Dang.

Thanks.

ETA: I don't suppose there's an indicator that says "Recipient smiled when he read it."
    Last edited by Lillieperl; 08-04-09 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added thought
    08-04-09 10:21 AM
    It just means the message was sent.
    08-04-09 10:23 AM
    You can turn off that feature in your Message Options | Email Settings | Confirm Delivery (No)
    08-04-09 10:28 AM
    thinkamp said:

"It just means the message was sent. "

No... when I send it, I immediately get an indication that tells me it was sent. Then about 15 minutes later, I get the DELIVERED message. I believe those are two different things.

IOW every time I send an email from my BB, I get two messages, the "sent" one, followed a while later by the "delivered" one.

Anyway, if it was only "sent," why would the message say "delivered"?

I don't want to turn this indication off. I LIKE it.
    08-04-09 10:32 AM
    Okay, well to each his own.
    Personally I find it clutters up my inbox. But it's nice to see someone enjoys the feature
    08-04-09 10:39 AM
    I would like to know what this means too. I only get a "message was delivered" when I send messages to 2 people in my contacts list. When I send e-mails to other people, I do not see the delivery confirmation in my e-mail inbox on my PC.
    08-04-09 10:42 AM
    Lak, I have very aggressive spam filters in place at the webmail level. I probably get over 100 spam emails every day, but they never make it into my Outlook Express inbox, because I have them so stringently filtered. And I do NOT have my own email address on my white list. So these "delivered" notifications usually go into my spam folder at the webmail level. I look in my webmail spam folder every day, and I move those messages out of it into my webmail inbox. THEN they migrate into my Outlook Express inbox.

I don't know if this is your problem. Why you would get some notifications and not others... a mystery.
    08-04-09 10:47 AM
    Lak, I have very aggressive spam filters in place at the webmail level. I probably get over 100 spam emails every day, but they never make it into my Outlook Express inbox, because I have them so stringently filtered. And I do NOT have my own email address on my white list. So these "delivered" notifications usually go into my spam folder at the webmail level. I look in my webmail spam folder every day, and I move those messages out of it into my webmail inbox. THEN they migrate into my Outlook Express inbox.

I don't know if this is your problem. Why you would get some notifications and not others... a mystery.
    I don't use Outlook. I only use webmail. The delivery notifications never end up in my spam folder. I'll get responses from other people that I send e-mails to and don't get delivery notification, but only two people whom I send e-mails to cause me to get a delivery notification. One is a friend's work e-mail address. The other is a person with a Yahoo account. However, I have other contacts with Yahoo accounts, and I don't get delivery notification when I send e-mails to them.
    08-04-09 10:52 AM
    Lak, well, that's just plain odd.
    08-04-09 11:34 AM
    Soooo... no one knows the answer to this?
    08-04-09 03:45 PM
    sent means that the carriers switch has receieved the message and delievered means that the switch has delivered it to the other persons device. Does not mean that it was read it just means that the switch delivered it to the device
    08-04-09 04:05 PM
    Jake said:
    "the switch has delivered it to the other persons device. Does not mean that it was read it just means that the switch delivered it to the device"

Thanks for the reply. You sound like you know what you're talking about.

The OP doesn't have a "device"-- just webmail and presumably an email client. So do you mean that the notification means it was delivered to his webmail? But we don't know if it was opened?
    08-04-09 04:10 PM
    Exactly, the mail client received it and it is available to be viewed but without the recipients e-mail client set to send "Read Receipts" you won't know when they read it.
    08-04-09 04:13 PM
    Thankyouthankyou.

What you've said is what I thought, but I wasn't sure.
    08-04-09 04:23 PM
    Why would I only get the delivery receipt for 2 specific contacts and no others?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 04:42 PM
    are you looking for delivery confirmation on your PC or blackberry?
    08-04-09 04:55 PM
    are you looking for delivery confirmation on your PC or blackberry?
    For 2 contacts every email I send to them from Blackberry sends a delivery confirmation to my PC. Anybody else I send email on Blackberry and I don't get the delivery confirmation sent to PC. Why only those 2?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 05:20 PM
    it would seem like a setting error to me. I would try deleting to contacts from you BB and then readding them and see if that affects whether or not you get the delivery confirmations. If that doesn't fix it then it seems more like an issue with the mail server and I would say delete the e-mail address and readd it and make sure that your e-mail client doesn't have a special exception set up for those 2 contacts to always send deliverey confirmations. Do you get delivery confirmations when you send e-mails to those people from a PC?
    08-04-09 05:32 PM
    it would seem like a setting error to me. I would try deleting to contacts from you BB and then readding them and see if that affects whether or not you get the delivery confirmations. If that doesn't fix it then it seems more like an issue with the mail server and I would say delete the e-mail address and readd it and make sure that your e-mail client doesn't have a special exception set up for those 2 contacts to always send deliverey confirmations. Do you get delivery confirmations when you send e-mails to those people from a PC?
    No delivery confirmation when I send those 2 contacts emails from PC. I will probably just check no delivery confirmation on Blackberry. It's kind of pointless for it anyways in my case. I really don't care how fast my emails get delivered. Nothing is that urgent.
    08-04-09 05:36 PM
    When someone leaves me a phone message they keep receiving this message over and over. They continue to get the message till I read the message.

How can I turn it off.
    08-18-09 09:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD