- 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM #151
blackberry 10 has not succeeded yet.
and everything you have stated is not proof that the past mistakes have been learnt.
people were excited about windows phone 8 too as were carriers.
excitement does not equal success.
blackberry have it all to do.
This right now, is all pre game. the match still has to be playedZ10 Brigade member
- 01-05-2013, 01:58 PM #152
Blackberry 10 is not to market yet but what it has shown to market so far it has succeeded in:
1) Changing the mindset of previous consumers who poo pooed Blackberry, as is evident via social media
2) Changed the mindset of some analyst who previously wrote off RIM
3) Changed the mindset of some tech writers who previously had an unfavourable opinion
4) Changed the mindsets of dev's who previously didn't give RIM a second look
...... and more!
That's pretty darn good success prior to market.
Can't wait for the marketing $$$$$$ to tie this all in! WOOT WOOTNegative thinking destroys your brain cells and causes global warming.*- Dodinsky (The Scientific Institute of Get Over It!) Action Spots
- CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses
01-05-2013, 02:21 PM #155
- 11,711 Posts
[QUOTE=darkehawke;7826684]but the past affects RIM now. Look at the situation they are in. desperately fighting for 3rd place and survival./QUOTE]
This is one of those unnecessary and quite wrong (as of right now) comments, RIM is already in 3rd place, loud and clear. In the future that might change but as of right now RIM is not fighting anybody for third place.
- 01-05-2013, 02:21 PM #156Negative thinking destroys your brain cells and causes global warming.*- Dodinsky (The Scientific Institute of Get Over It!) Action Spots
- 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM #157
100% agree with Belfastdispatcher. RIM is not "fighting" for third place. They just have to keep it. Its not even a bitter battle, despite the steep decline in blackberry sales. On the Mobile Nations 20 podcast even most of the EiC's have an incorrect perception about this. They were harassing Kevin about blackberry and third place as if it was neck and neck???
Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S+ Z10 + Bold 9000
16GB Playbook> Playbook 32GB
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL
__________________________________________________ ___________________________Thanked by:
- 01-05-2013, 03:18 PM #158
Benjamin Disraeli once famously stated that there are lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics.
When it comes to smartphones, people compare the minutae surrounding sales/marketshare/sellthrough...and often raw numbers are tortured into the desired format to make a desired point. Figures are quite innocuous in themselves....it's what's done with them that causes all the trouble.
It would be quite naive to believe that there isn't within the smartphone wars a desperate fight for each spot. Samsung/Android and Apple virtually own the market. If anyone believes that the remaining big names are not figuratively elbowing and ramming each other in a desperate horse race, then that person needs to rethink that conclusion.With a loss of a million subscribers in the last quarter, I would not imagine that anyone in the RIM boardroom is sitting back with a stereotypical cigar and a cognac thinking how wonderful things are. The austerity measures of the last year are a testament to the fact that there is in fact quite a fight.
And if they are not hungry and fighting for third place, for keeping it, then they have not learned a thing. So they had best be fighting for that third spot.Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
- 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM #159
Now think over that :
a) there are already several Cyrillic inputs in BB, one has to change 5 signs to the existing Russian one (or any other Cyrrilic one) to provide the virtual Ukrainian input. How much time do you think it takes?
b) there are like 47 mln of Ukrainian speakers worldwide and the Ukrainian market of smartphones is growing by 98% per year. All of that goes almost exlusively to Apple or Samsung (because they are Apple and Samsung and because they do have the Ukrainian input).
Now if the management was efficient, if there was a real communication between lower and upper employees and the top management, the guys from the buttom would pass their messages and the guy on the middle would listen, think and pass his massage so that the guy on the top would say : "Oh dear, it won't cost us a penny, it can be done within hours and that can make gain us extra-money and sell extra-phones".
Why do I say that it's a management problem? Follow my points :
1) The BB Ukraine page is in Ukrainian, which means that somebody took the decision to make it in Ukrainian and this person hired and paid another person who'd translate the page into Ukrainian. These persons are paid by Rim
2) At the same time a third person would convince the decision-maker that it's ok to provide the Russian input only. I say a third person because this same person wouldn't stress the idea that the internet page should be translated into Ukrainian, the logic is clear. This person is also paid by Rim.
3) The top-management pays different people to implement contradictional decisions and don't even bother to ask themselves what do the concurrents do and why (like why does Apple do it?).
4) Posts from different people have been posted on the official BB support forum since a couple of years and those who are supposed to react on it (find out the problems, report them if needed = provide the efficient feedback), either don't do it, or nobody hears them. And these persons are paid as well.
See how many people are paid for something that doesn't work and prevents Rim from gaining more money and selling more phones?
Where do we go? --> lousy, contradictional management where you'd pay people who all go to all directions at once and don't hear each other.
As far as I remember, the inefficient management was the main reason why the wrong decisions were taken, all of which brought Rim to a certain decline, right? Now what we can see on the surface is reassuring : the new OS and new devices seem to be well-done and going into the right direction, Thor Heins gives a very good image and I confess I like his style very much, I'd say he's capable of being a new Steve Jobs. The 30th of Jan will tell us more on this.
What we can't see, the internal management, still stays more important to say if the past really belongs to the past. The management problems being the root of evil, the change must occur in the management so that Rim can really change.
I hope my example gave you a little idea about the doubts I have on this second subject (whether the management really changed).
P.S. I have no intention to flame with my personal issue, I only wanted to argument my point of view on the subject that is being discussed in the thread and I found out that it can serve as a rather speaking illustration. Sometimes a small problem can show off the dysfonction of the whole system better than the exhaustvie analysis of all existing statistic numbers.
- 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM #161
Through perseverance many people win success out of what seemed destined to be certain failure by some media pundits and analysts - Benjamin Disraeli feat Tom Jasper (RIP Disraeli 1881/ TJ 2013)Negative thinking destroys your brain cells and causes global warming.*- Dodinsky (The Scientific Institute of Get Over It!) Action Spots
- 01-05-2013, 03:56 PM #162
- 01-05-2013, 04:01 PM #163
- CrackBerry Abuser
01-05-2013, 04:02 PM #164
- 119 Posts
The launch is a new beginning, not a clean slate. Nothing they have done will erase what they have done to themselves. It has been very well documented, if they don't know it by now, there is nothing that can be done for them. The real question is will you give them a chance to redeem themselves or will you write them off anyway? I am willing to give them a chance, it is that simple.
- 01-05-2013, 04:08 PM #166
*If* the X10 shows up with a curved keyboard after all, I will buy one.
I will be buying a spare 9900 in case something happens to my current one.
*If* a white 9900 shows up at AT&T I will be buying one.
As a consumer, I speak with my wallet.Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
- 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM #168
- 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM #169
Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-05-2013 at 05:16 PM.Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
- 01-05-2013, 04:21 PM #170
Tom, I wish them to succed as much as you do (well, maybe a bit less since you're particularly passionate about it), but I just try to see everything, not only what I want to see.
- 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM #172
- 01-05-2013, 04:34 PM #173
Sorry to interrupt but…
As you were, quoting poetry, disagreeing and all that. You are all awesome in my book!Nothing is so common as is the goal to be remarkable
- By KingBlunted in forum BlackBerry Curve 85xxReplies: 12Last Post: 10-12-2010, 08:02 PM
- By CrackberryBrandon in forum Apple iPhone/iPadReplies: 12Last Post: 02-09-2010, 11:26 PM
- By hitmanbb88 in forum Native BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 8Last Post: 01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
- By hitmanbb88 in forum BlackBerry Bold 9700Replies: 8Last Post: 01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
- By someOkGuy in forum BlackBerry Tour 9630Replies: 4Last Post: 10-01-2009, 05:45 PM