For the newbies. This isn't just recently.
    Yep. See Kevin's sticky post on the subject.
    kbz1960 and TheScionicMan like this.
    01-02-13 08:58 AM
    You see the occasional negative. Not so much.

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    01-02-13 09:38 AM
    I don't think that it's a good thing to close the eyes on the critics, I think that a company can develop only in touch with clients, supporters and their critics...Apple has already shown us their "I never have any problem, if you have a problem, then the problem is you" and things do not turn at their advantage.
    Last edited by magutwit; 01-02-13 at 02:06 PM.
    01-02-13 10:11 AM
    There appears to be the very mistaken impression that support means complete buy in to everything a company does and absolute defence of its practices. Sort of like the tale of the emperor's new clothes.
    01-02-13 10:27 AM
    BB10's introduction into the marketplace does not erase nor negate the spectacular decline that began in 2011. Media definitely influences thinking, but RIM gave the media plenty of fodder through its slow reactions and flawed execution.
    You're not the only one who has said that RIM was slow to react. I have used a lot of devices just like you and I sort of see it differently. RIM didn't react right away to iOS but then again they didn't have anything that they could have brought to the forefront to combat it. QNX at the time was not feasible without the mobile multi core processors to run it and they weren't available. RIM could have created a new OS on their own which would have taken even longer and wouldn't have been as capable. RIM made the move when it became a viable solution and I don't think Mike and Jim will ever get credit for it.

OP yes you are right. There are a lot of similarly worded threads started by new members. Even your wording of being a long time lurker has been brought up in several new threads.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    01-02-13 10:47 AM
    You're not the only one who has said that RIM was slow to react. I have used a lot of devices just like you and I sort of see it differently. RIM didn't react right away to iOS but then again they didn't have anything that they could have brought to the forefront to combat it. QNX at the time was not feasible without the mobile multi core processors to run it and they weren't available. RIM could have created a new OS on their own which would have taken even longer and wouldn't have been as capable. RIM made the move when it became a viable solution and I don't think Mike and Jim will ever get credit for it.

OP yes you are right. There are a lot of similarly worded threads started by new members. Even your wording of being a long time lurker has been brought up in several new threads.

Ah but they did....the ill fated Storm (which I never used but is legendary in its criticism, as lnichols mentioned), the 9800 Torch (which I own and I loved at the time until I gave an Atrix a good open minded try) and the Playbook (which did not in fact turn out to prove that amateur hour was over) were all late and poorly executed responses to market leaders.

I know....I know that we have a new RIM about to prove to the world that it still has the chops to be an industry leader. But look at the almost straight vertical decline its stock has suffered, look at the almost universal absence of devices on store shelves. I had to tell a rep several times that yes, I indeed wanted to buy a 9370 cash, before she relented and got me a box. And even when I go to an AT&T store, which has been somewhat BB friendly, there are three lonely devices sitting way in the back. At Verizon you don't even see a Playbook. All these things are a direct result in late movement and poor execution.

In my opinion. Yours may differ.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-02-13 10:57 AM
    look at the almost universal absence of devices on store shelves. I had to tell a rep several times that yes, I indeed wanted to buy a 9370 cash, before she relented and got me a box. And even when I go to an AT&T store, which has been somewhat BB friendly, there are three lonely devices sitting way in the back. At Verizon you don't even see a Playbook. All these things are a direct result in late movement and poor execution.
    How ironic. See my signature. RIM, in the past, has behaved like a telco carieer's bit*h. Omitting features on carrier request (eg: disabling full VOIP functionality) and carriers, on the other hand, pushed Apple and Android even-though Apple and Android didn't act like carrier's slaves. Apple/Android provided features that their end users wanted (for the most part). RIM only provided what carriers allowed them to do. It seems like the new RIM management isn't going to repeat the same mistake though.
    01-02-13 11:54 AM
    I mean, I'm only about a week old user of CrackBerry, and I think that what I say is usefull. Supposedly there are trolls. But wherever you go, there always will be.
    01-02-13 12:08 PM
    How ironic. See my signature. RIM, in the past, has behaved like a telco carieer's bit*h. Omitting features on carrier request (eg: disabling full VOIP functionality) and carriers, on the other hand, pushed Apple and Android even-though Apple and Android didn't act like carrier's slaves. Apple/Android provided features that their end users wanted (for the most part). RIM only provided what carriers allowed them to do. It seems like the new RIM management isn't going to repeat the same mistake though.

I remember when I got my 8310. It was fun, there was energy. I got my 9000 on a whim while I was on travel in California and I just *had* to buy it, cash, during a lunch hour. I ordered my 9700 online and took part in the virtual party here on CB, there was SUCH excitement. Then I remember the excitement over the first 9800....HUGE displays in the stores. By the time the 9810 came around there was only a whisper of the excitement and I had to tell the salesperson that YES, INDEED, IT COMES IN WHITE. When I bought my 9900 I was incredulously asked "Really? a 9900?" When I got my 9370 I had to literally emphatically state that YES I DO IN FACT WANT A 9370, CASH. When I asked about a PB at Verizon I was told "we don't support that." When I got my 9860 I had a fun dicussion as to the death of RIM and the dropping of the casket into the ground and why was I willing to dish out cash on a device that wasn't going to be supported because the company wouldn't see out the year.

It has been a steep and painful decline. Let's see what happens Q3 2013.
    01-02-13 01:22 PM
    What a lot of people immediately classify as 'negative posts' towards RIM on this forum, I see as well worded criticisms from users of the products. The blatant trolls just posting nonsense are few and far between. The issue is there are a lot of overly sensitive users on this forum who jump all over ANY posts they see as negative (whether it's constructive or not) with all kinds of venom. A lot of them take it a step further by lashing out at every non-RIM products and users of non-RIM products on this forum as some kind of retaliation. I am not a long time member compared to most, but this is the problem I have seen since joining. It leads to a hostile atmosphere in general.

As for the last month or so? I'd say I see a lot of positive posts about RIM, and slightly less bashing of other products and consumers. I think the forums have been more positive in general in the last month or so after the Trolling PSA's were posted.
    01-02-13 01:30 PM
    A lot of new BlackBerry PlayBook users post-Christmas seems a more logical explanation for the increase in forum membership. That said, blind faith and cheerleading is equally as annoying as rabid trolling; expressing opinions or experiences and assisting other members in a civilised manner is the point of the forum. I cannot comment on your mental health (paranoia or lack thereof) because I am not a licensed mental health practitioner. If a flamewar ensues from your posted message, remember you lit the match in a tinder-dry field.
    mental health? Wow the minute you went there shows exactly who needs testing. I thought I was balanced no? criticism is good but criticism for the sake of saying oh the Android is the bees knees is what I am refering to or is that also a mental health problem. I can give as good as I get trust me.........velvet gloves. Indeed I am a cheerleader for the BB10; it is a chance for RIM to be relevant again. Crackberry Nation does mean a number of folks have some faith in RIM too, correct?
    Excuse me, it's time for my medication
    01-02-13 04:24 PM
    mental health? Wow the minute you went there shows exactly who needs testing. I thought I was balanced no? criticism is good but criticism for the sake of saying oh the Android is the bees knees is what I am refering to or is that also a mental health problem. I can give as good as I get trust me.........velvet gloves. Indeed I am a cheerleader for the BB10; it is a chance for RIM to be relevant again. Crackberry Nation does mean a number of folks have some faith in RIM too, correct?
    Excuse me, it's time for my medication
    I'm pretty sure he's just addressing the thread topic in a tongue-in-cheek matter (RE the 'paranoia'). And beyond that, just stating a fact that people are going to take exception to being called trolls for no reason. I don't think he, or anyone else in the thread, is trying to insult you.
    01-02-13 07:29 PM
    There appears to be the very mistaken impression that support means complete buy in to everything a company does and absolute defence of its practices. Sort of like the tale of the emperor's new clothes.
    Statements like this go both ways, its the people that continue to stake out the middle ground that seem be most believeable.
    01-02-13 09:54 PM
    Statements like this go both ways, its the people that continue to stake out the middle ground that seem be most believeable.
    The middle ground is a very dangerous place to be. It leaves you with battle scars from RIM fans when you point out flaws and deficiencies on the phones or for prior management and it also leaves you with battle scars from Android and iOS fans when you point out deficiencies on those platforms.

I've got the scars to prove it.

Every last sttement that I have made in this thread is fact, and yet......
    01-03-13 02:37 AM
    But they're cute scars.....It's too bad that we cannot be objective about the things we like. It's like if we like them, and others do not, then we are not validated. WHAT????they are things, and not our whole personna or raison detre. Lets all learn to get along, and R*E*S*P*E*C*T each other. THat is all.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-03-13 02:46 AM
    You'll definitely see an uptick in trolling on launch week... we certainly did in WP8-land.

Some of the threads they start can be (intentionally) hilarious, like "My Lumia 920 caught fire and almost brought down the plane I was a passenger on" or "I cannot get Windows Media Player working right on my Windows Mobile 8."
    01-03-13 03:31 AM
    What a lot of people immediately classify as 'negative posts' towards RIM on this forum, I see as well worded criticisms from users of the products. The blatant trolls just posting nonsense are few and far between. The issue is there are a lot of overly sensitive users on this forum who jump all over ANY posts they see as negative (whether it's constructive or not) with all kinds of venom.
    The main problem is that there are plenty of negative posts which are just whining about the same things over and over in a way that is not constructive and usually about such petty things (shading on icons being a huge issue, really?) or based on flawed impressions due to the latest leak from mr blurrycam and friends.

As far as those people who call out the trollier posts being overly sensitive, it seems to me that there are far more reasoned and reasonable posts coming in response to the various tantrums than venom as you have decided to mislabel them.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    01-03-13 04:58 AM
    The main problem is that there are plenty of negative posts which are just whining about the same things over and over in a way that is not constructive and usually about such petty things (shading on icons being a huge issue, really?) or based on flawed impressions due to the latest leak from mr blurrycam and friends.

As far as those people who call out the trollier posts being overly sensitive, it seems to me that there are far more reasoned and reasonable posts coming in response to the various tantrums than venom as you have decided to mislabel them.
    Try being a user who chooses to do the cardinal sin, putting that they use multiple devices in their sig. Or daring to say that all the platforms have their benefits. The amount of threads where I have seen people refer to all Apple users as sheep on this forum is ridiculous. Once you get lashed out at for something so silly, you might have a different perspective. And PS, if you check my post history you will not find hostile, trolling, or negative posts. It doesn't stop the insults though. IMO qbnkelt posts some extremely well thought out posts from the perspective of a user that uses (and likes) many devices, and I have seen her take a ridiculous amount of crap that I have no problem referring to as 'venom' for it.

Again, as I mentioned in my previous posts though IMO things have gotten a lot better in the last couple of months since there were some sticky threads on trolling posted. I especially see a lot less references to robots and sheep, and I don't see many random RIM troll posts. I think the atmosphere is much more positive than when I joined this forum.

As for repetitive posts.... does anyone have to participate in them? The best way to make a post go away is to just not post in it. Posts that aren't active die. It's a discussion forum though. If you start telling people not to start threads, then it won't be a very active one.
    01-03-13 07:46 AM
    Try being a user who chooses to do the cardinal sin, putting that they use multiple devices in their sig. Or daring to say that all the platforms have their benefits. The amount of threads where I have seen people refer to all Apple users as sheep on this forum is ridiculous. Once you get lashed out at for something so silly, you might have a different perspective. And PS, if you check my post history you will not find hostile, trolling, or negative posts. It doesn't stop the insults though. IMO qbnkelt posts some extremely well thought out posts from the perspective of a user that uses (and likes) many devices, and I have seen her take a ridiculous amount of crap that I have no problem referring to as 'venom' for it.
    Thank you. What's worse is when I can't defend myself. I've had a particular rabid fanboy come after me in several threads and it was allowed to stand.

Oh well. I call it as I see it, regardless.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    01-03-13 08:04 AM
    I remember when I got my 8310. It was fun, there was energy. I got my 9000 on a whim while I was on travel in California and I just *had* to buy it, cash, during a lunch hour. I ordered my 9700 online and took part in the virtual party here on CB, there was SUCH excitement. Then I remember the excitement over the first 9800....HUGE displays in the stores. By the time the 9810 came around there was only a whisper of the excitement and I had to tell the salesperson that YES, INDEED, IT COMES IN WHITE. When I bought my 9900 I was incredulously asked "Really? a 9900?" When I got my 9370 I had to literally emphatically state that YES I DO IN FACT WANT A 9370, CASH. When I asked about a PB at Verizon I was told "we don't support that." When I got my 9860 I had a fun dicussion as to the death of RIM and the dropping of the casket into the ground and why was I willing to dish out cash on a device that wasn't going to be supported because the company wouldn't see out the year.

It has been a steep and painful decline. Let's see what happens Q3 2013.
    But all of this does point to a clear issue with the distribution channel that RIM has to use in the US, the carrier stores and the people working in them. You are an educated BB user/enthusiast and know when the clowns behind the counter say that RIM is dead, or it won't be supported in a year that the people are either lying, misinformed, or simply trying to sway you to something else. You had to argue with them almost in your recent devices to get them to sell them to you. How many people go in wanting a BlackBerry, hear this same type of rhetoric from these clowns and don't know any better and really think that if they buy that phone they will be back in less than a year and go with something else? RIM has made many mistakes, but the death that press and rabid fans of other devices predicted and told us was supposed to have happened already never happened, and wasn't even feasible or based on facts given that they were increasing their user base outside of NA, increasing cash reserves, etc. So yes RIM neglected the way the US and established markets were moving and payed dearly for it, but yes many of the workers at the carrier stores in the US are also discouraging BB sales, and if they continue to operate in the same way after BB10's launch it will hamper sales in the US.

I truly hope that with BB10 they don't let the carriers dictate to them like they have in the past (my Bold 9900 still doesn't have NFC available on T-Mobile because they had RIM disable it and I'm not going to do hybrid OS's), and cater to the end user and not carrier demands, which would in turn let the store flunkies say "it doesn't do this", when the possible reason it doesn't do that thing is because the carrier made RIM disable it.
    01-03-13 08:45 AM
    As for repetitive posts.... does anyone have to participate in them? The best way to make a post go away is to just not post in it. Posts that aren't active die. It's a discussion forum though. If you start telling people not to start threads, then it won't be a very active one.
    The issue with the repeat threads is that it is human nature for people to not just sit back without challenging a statement they feel to be entirely false and/or idiotic.

As far as a discussion forum needing a lot of threads to be active, is it more active if it has half a dozen threads all covering the same blurry pics or if there was one larger thread that covered the panicking and tantrums all in one?
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    01-03-13 08:49 AM
    Yes, you are a bit paranoid! Just use the tools folks, if you see trolling, or personal attacks, report them, use the triangle with the ! or the [!!] (on mobile)
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-03-13 08:54 AM
    Don't know if anybody realizes this, but trolls aren't going away. As I understand it, they have their own forums where they talk about the stuff they stirred up elsewhere. And to join said group, you have to be able to point to meaningless arguments previously incited.

As long as trolls have the identity cover of cyber space, they will always be a nuisance. They can be kept at bay, (as we do in another forum I've modded for a few years) and they eventually just move on to other places where the fight is easier. Take the path of least resistance essentially. Like my local newspaper. They are the softest, most lax policed site, and it carries to most visceral talk on the web in my opinion. You live with and deserve what your willing to tolerate basically.

If you're not a mod, just don't argue with the clearly provoking post, ignore them and encourage others to do the same. Be crafty in your comments if you must respond, but just don't give them reason to report back to their buddies in triumph over inciting you to anger. It just keeps them returning for more of their own pleasure.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    01-03-13 09:09 AM
    I've particapated in this forum long enough to understand how easy it is to throw around critisism and never offer up any solutions. The enormity of the task RIM is ready to complete is unknown to everyone. Yet there's no shortage of people that feel they could have done better in that same situation? I get you!
    That's pretty much all we can do here is offer either praise or critisism here...

I've seen no evidence that RIM comes to CrackBerry fourms to find any answers.

As for the enormity of RIM's task... sorry but you do know that in 2006 we didn't even know what an iPhone was and Androids were in sci-fi movies, whereas a BlackBerry was THE smartphone. So do you think they have done a good job??????

I would really love it if RIM released a PLATFORM (not just a device) that could compete. And maybe BB10 will be the start of that! I'm still waiting to be convinced, have only seen pieces of the puzzle - I hope that by the end of the month the rest will come together to complete the WHOLE.
    Bobcat665 and magutwit like this.
    01-03-13 09:18 AM
    That's pretty much all we can do here is offer either praise or critisism here...

I've seen no evidence that RIM comes to CrackBerry fourms to find any answers.

As for the enormity of RIM's task... sorry but you do know that in 2006 we didn't even know what an iPhone was and Androids were in sci-fi movies, whereas a BlackBerry was THE smartphone. So do you think they have done a good job??????

I would really love it if RIM released a PLATFORM (not just a device) that could compete. And maybe BB10 will be the start of that! I'm still waiting to be convinced, have only seen pieces of the puzzle - I hope that by the end of the month the rest will come together to complete the WHOLE.
    Or you can go here and post non sense until then

http://forums.crackberry.com/crackbe...index1378.html
    pantlesspenguin and Bobcat665 like this.
    01-03-13 10:00 AM
175 1234 ...