They will be releasing more phones this year from what they have been saying. So they will be building brand awareness for later in the year. You have to release them at some point. Are you saying they should now wait longer to hit the major selling season?

James
    This is the point. It's the release of the new operating system - plus a couple of new phones. It doesn't mean for a moment that they won't be releasing new handsets later in the year to take advantage of the peak season.
    01-04-13 06:21 AM
    Nice to see a South African on here.
    I agree with you on the Iphone. Data is too expensive in SA. i have not seen anyone with an Iphone 5 to date. I only know 2 people with an Iphone 4. I do however have to pay R59 per month for my Blacberry service, but I know its free on some contracts.

Can't wait for Blackberry 10. I will stand in line all day if I have to, to get myself one of the first Z10's.

Like someone else said on another Thread "it's never too late if it's only the beginning.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    yeah very true i par R59 monthly for Blackberry service unlimited ....i have a colleague who uses the SG3 and he spends close to R1500 a month on data to do exactly the same things i'll do on bb for R59 .... go figure....
    01-04-13 06:53 AM
    Before during and after this holiday season tons of phones were new and our, some old ones returned at dropped prices, and bc10 spread word after the main hit.

By that I mean most potential bc10 buyers are on contract win wp8, ups6 and droid devices of so e sort...

Bb10 will launch Jan30, to far away and to close to the phone drought where sales across phone carriers and manufacturers fail..
    With that, it may be another pagoda. Struggling to get recognition and then getting creamed in late spring arrivals and the fact people from this holiday are locked for two years will make it near impossible for bb10 to get decent support.

Has ANYONE heard any trade in news for the new bb devices? Free or cut upgrade fees for trading your phone in may be the only way bb10 can gain those licked customers.

Sadly Verizon tricked me and I as well am locked. Unless it is given I may not be able to get the Bb10 devices and neither will millions if others due to rims late Jan release.
    Your not trapped, and no one is with a contract, you simply can't get the phone at the on contract price. You have the option of either paying full retail or waiting for your contract to expire. I don't have an upgrade available until sometime this summer, so I will be buying phone full on price. In fact I plan to just buy all my next phones outright, and just go with T-Mobile's SIM only service and save money every month. Funny how you never hear Android users that upgrade a couple times a year at full price or iPhone users who upgrade yearly at full price claim to be trapped, tricked, etc.
    steve911 likes this.
    01-04-13 09:18 AM
    yeah very true i par R59 monthly for Blackberry service unlimited ....i have a colleague who uses the SG3 and he spends close to R1500 a month on data to do exactly the same things i'll do on bb for R59 .... go figure....
    I actually had an S3 for 3 days then returned it due to the data usage and the miserable battery life. it is an amazing phone, but I used 700mb's on it in the 3 days, probably my own fault, but on Blackberry you never have that problem.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    01-04-13 10:54 AM
    These trolls are so transparent I can not understand why they have not been removed. It seems clear to me that profession paid troll do post on cb. Many are itrolls like the person who started this thread but the more clever ones are the real pros who try to mask themselves as cb fans. Please report and do not reply to negative made up posts like this. They want to control the discussion and in many cases have controlled the discussions at cb. They must be laughing.
       I made a thread about this�Maybe I am Just Paranoid but I see them Trolling' and there were members who were trying to convince me that I was just being a fanboi (whatever the **** that means). Anyways thanks for pointing it out. (post count noted)
    TomJasper likes this.
    01-04-13 11:39 AM
    It work for me (and others). I got locked into a contract October 2011 when I bought my 9930. I cant upgrade until May 2013. So it works out fine.

The Bold 9900 came out in August, so many of those people will be eligible for an upgrade when BB10 is released.
    01-04-13 12:10 PM
    Pretty dang clear even with phone grammar. They launched after a giga load of new phones and old phoes got cut the last 2 months and they are releasing at a time there is usually a sales drought around February.

Most of their potential customers are locked in contracts unless they have a trade in deal but carriers nay not do that and etl fees are insane.
    I recall upgrading one of our 9700s to the 9800 about three years ago during a "Valentines Day" sale for those on at&t. So, how bad do you want it and what are you willing to do- legally, to get it? Off contract is always an option.....or wait it out. Whatever I get, it will be x 2 if I want peace around my house. Besides, I am SOOOOO READY to give our 9810s a long, well-deserved rest. Hers has internal parts(something) that is coming out of the side of the device. Still works, but, it has been thru h*ll and back.
    01-04-13 01:58 PM
    Sorry, but I agree with most of the "WTF did OP say?" comments. Thanks for the translation, Ratchet Clank.

Here's how I look at it: I was eligible for an upgrade over four months ago but had my eye on the prize and not wavering. Most anyone who didn't wait did so by their own choosing. Sucks to be them.
    Ditto. My contract expired last July. Was clueless about BB10 (and unless you're actually looking for it, RIM/BB didn't exist until recently), so figured my options were Android or iPhone. Waited a few weeks after the iPhone5 release to compare it and the Galaxy S3 in the store. Most reviewers are spot on. Each one shines it its own way, but neither was compelling enough to make we want to drop $200 right then. I decided to wait on Windows Phone 8. Same story there. In the meantime, I start Googling "BlackBerry 10".....voila! Impressed and looking forward to Jan 30th.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-04-13 02:01 PM
    There isn't really a 'peak' period with cell phone contracts, as many have pointed out, people enter into contracts at different times throughout the year. The HTC One X, SG3, and (if you really want to include it) the Lumia 900 all released in spring to early summer of 2012. The Xperia Play and Xperia Arc released in April of 2011. The iPhone 4 released in May of 2010. None of those times sound like a 'peak' period. So that argument is baseless.

My biggest concern is the possibility of being over-hyped. I am not saying the Z10 isn't going to be awesome, but if (and that is a BIG if) the newest device so hyped up and even remotely fails to meet or exceed expectations it will spell nothing but disaster for RIM and the BlackBerry brand. I for one do not want to see that happen. I have waited this long for BB10, I'm not giving up just yet. I miss my BlackBerry.
    01-04-13 02:26 PM
    There are people coming off contract in February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September. BB10 will possibly be the newest Smartphone for those people.
    01-04-13 02:29 PM
    Release the 10 series now, yesterday or tomorrow ? The timing is not crucial, what will be the determining factor will be if it lives up to expectations. If the 10 series does not at least match the I-Phone 5 and the latest Samsung the danger is that Blackberry will fall by the wayside, joining Motorola and Nokia as another also-ran. I personally hope it revives BBerry fortunes, if only to wipe the smile off the Apple tossers.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-04-13 02:55 PM
    I am one that is coming off my old contract in June as is my wife. I will grab a BB10 device and she will move up to a smartphone for the first time. If it is anything close to what we all anticipate and what the promo's have been on it, then my wife is going to get one too. The key for her is ease of use, learning the gestures. She has an iPad and is used to the in/out paradigm, but I don't think it will be an issue at all to learn the gestures. A few trips to the AT&T store to play with one should sell her on features and benefits.
    01-04-13 02:59 PM
    I've been holding my upgrade since October. I bought a Torch off ebay to hold me over until the BB10 Hits. Just saying...
    01-04-13 03:06 PM
    i wasnt sure what was worse, my ADD or this guy's grammar! haha. thanks for confirming.
    01-04-13 03:08 PM
    I've been holding my upgrade since October. I bought a Torch off ebay to hold me over until the BB10 Hits. Just saying...
    Oh man, I feel so much better now reading your post, I was thinking, for sure BB10 was doomed since the release did not line up with the OP two year. I was confused and wondering why I've been waiting since my two year was done in November.
    01-04-13 03:13 PM
    I purchased my BOLD in December of Last Year, No no not last month, the year before (Happy new year)! I had 1 year left in my contract from an android, Broke my contract paid it out and got a new phone.

I have two years left on my 9900 contract. However as I knew a long time ago that I would be looking to get the mew BB10 device when it launched (insert bb10 name here London, N series, L series, Justice , bbx, Madrid) I have been saving money. When the new "Z10" or what ever its called is launched I will go to the bank and make a withdrawl and buy the new phone out right, even if it is $700.00 as rumored today.

I don't think I am being too bold when I say, a lot of people have been waiting a very long time for these phones and are willing to pay to get them.

Contracts are a pain, But its not a jail sentence.

Contracts are meant to be broken (especially in Canada) 3 years is too long to commit to any piece of technology.
    01-04-13 03:17 PM
    I'm sure many of us wish they would have brought BB10 out a lot earlier, but after what happened with RIM rushing the PlayBook to market, I can wait if it means that the product will be what was promised. I'm on a no-contract plan so I can replace/upgrade my phone whenever I want, provided it is a GSM phone.

Personally, I would have thought that they would have used CES as the launching point for BB10 instead of waiting for a few weeks after. There's a lot of media coverage of CES and having the BB10 launch there would have gotten them more coverage, as not every media outlet will be sending folks to cover the BB10 launch on January 30th. Then again, such a launch may have been easily overlooked at such an event.
    01-04-13 03:20 PM
    ... even if it is $700.00 as rumored today.
    YOUCH! I hope not!
    01-04-13 03:28 PM
    If it is too late for RIM in the smartphone game, someone should share this news with Samsung since they are working on Tizen based phones and and also break the news to the Ubuntu guys that they are "too late" to join the smartphone game. Or maybe they think it is still growing and has huge potential for many companies long into the future.

Everyone's locked into a contract and invested in some other ecosystem, yet there are still customers showing up at the carrier stores every day and often switching brands. Ponderous.
    01-04-13 03:36 PM
    Bb10 isn't exactly a surprise to us all after all its been delayed for what feels like a year , I for one have been out of contract since June 2012 there's no law saying you have to get a new hand set immediately!
    01-04-13 03:42 PM
    It was the best time for Rim as the carriers will be marketing the phone as well. They needed the launch to fit with the carriers too. They been too busy with G note 2 and Iphone5 as of late but Feb will belong to BlackBerry10 and March and April....May blongs to Gs4 Iphone 5s
    01-04-13 04:02 PM
    These trolls are so transparent I can not understand why they have not been removed. It seems clear to me that profession paid troll do post on cb. Many are itrolls like the person who started this thread but the more clever ones are the real pros who try to mask themselves as cb fans. Please report and do not reply to negative made up posts like this. They want to control the discussion and in many cases have controlled the discussions at cb. They must be laughing.
    Myself and some others made mention about this weeks ago, it's going to ramp up I'm afraid, but the MODS seem to be on top of the worst ones,just be nice to see some threads go POOF not just closed. Bla1ze closed a disgusting one today that imho should have gone POOF, is there not a way to do this?
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-04-13 04:32 PM
    Clearly OP's post was not typed on a BlackBerry hehe

On a serious note, it's not Verizon's fault that you went with a new phone, you said yes knowing that BB10 is coming very shortly.
    Those that want BB10 bad enough are either waiting with their upgrade or will pull the money out and buy it.
    And if you plan on waiting for your next upgrade then yes it is too late you you to get BB10 since BB11 or BB12 will be out by then
    They tricked me lying saying it was a prepaid plan, bb fans are so distracted they somehow got me accepting the contract and the word "tricked" mixed up. Not one actually asking fir me to expand on that and made up their own theories in laps land.
    01-04-13 04:45 PM
    BB10 was announced over a year ago about being developed and released at a later date when it was ready, not November. If your a true blackberry fan you would know this, otherwise you must live in the USA and fell into the same media misinformed trap and was led to believe rim was dead and bankrupt. Again you jumped the gun by not being loyal and not paying attention so now you miss out at your own fault, not the fault of rim release dates. Sorry but that's the truth.
    I see the point flew over your head. I did not blame them fir everything. If all the loyal fans are you RIM is doomed
    01-04-13 04:52 PM
    Myself and some others made mention about this weeks ago, it's going to ramp up I'm afraid, but the MODS seem to be on top of the worst ones,just be nice to see some threads go POOF not just closed. Bla1ze closed a disgusting one today that imho should have gone POOF, is there not a way to do this?
    Opinion duly noted. Please take a moment to read the [Posting Rules and Guidelines, especially the part about discussing moderator actions.

CrackBerry has been around for many years, along with the modfia who assist in it's operation. We appreciate reports, and make the best judgments we can. If the entire forum membership agreed, we wouldn't be needed.
    kevinnugent and vespajet like this.
    01-04-13 04:58 PM
117 12345