Just thought I would make a post to get users such as myself that do have BB's but don't have the either BIS/BES data plans instead regular data plans. I have an 8330 and am on a sprint plan w/ free vision power pack so I don't find it necessary to pay another $30+ for a BB data plan. This post is not to debate why to get the BB or to flame on ppl like myself who don't have a BB plan even though we have BB's, but instead to maximize BB's w/ regular data plans. So please no "BB w/o bb data plan = trash/useless/dumb/waste" comments.

As of now here are a list of working apps that I was able to install through DM;
    1) Google Maps - internal GPS not working properly but maps do render fine
    2) Jivetalk - works flawlessly as expected
    3) GPSed
    4) Opera Mini - browsing works great, but still having troubles using the in app download function. That specific function seems to be missing from BB versions of Opera mini.
    5) Gmail
    6) Weatherbug
    7) Viigo - this app requires extra steps to update feeds. I have to leave the program running in the back in order to receive feeds. If the program is closed completely it requires a reset of the viigo to get the new feeds and I seem to be only able to connect using the TCP network connection option.

I had a BB plan for a couple days, but canceled it b/c I couldn't justify the extra $30 dollars. During the period that I had the BB plan I was able to get BB maps to work and currently I am still able to use BB maps ONLY in areas that I prevriously "tracked through" when I did have the BB plan.

Again these programs were all installed using the DM. These are only a couple apps that I was interested in putting on my BB, but if anyone else out there has had success putting other apps on their BB through non-OTA methods please do share. I hope this helps some ppl.
    Last edited by asdf002; 06-03-08 at 11:05 AM.
    06-03-08 10:52 AM
    I also use GPSed and Google Maps on curve 8310 without BB plan
    I also use MScorecard (golf scoring program that also uses my GPS for yardages)
    06-03-08 10:57 AM
    I am pretty sure that you have to have a BB Pack for Sprint in order to avoid all kinds of data charges. I'm not 100% sure, but in order for it to work I thought Spring required you to have a BB Pack.
    06-03-08 12:21 PM
    I am pretty sure that you have to have a BB Pack for Sprint in order to avoid all kinds of data charges. I'm not 100% sure, but in order for it to work I thought Spring required you to have a BB Pack.
    No, Sprint does not require you to have a BB plan to use data on a BB. Although their policy is to not sell BB to ppl unless they sign up for the BB data plan. The power vision data plan is sufficient enough. After all data is data...
    06-03-08 01:09 PM
    For me, the killer app is my Wifi Browser.

I have installed MobiPocket Reader, no connection issues at all.
    06-03-08 01:27 PM
    I use a BB without a data plan as well. I thought you needed a data plan in order for your GPS to work?
    07-29-08 09:43 AM
    The stupidest thing to do is buy a blackberry without a data plan.
    07-29-08 09:55 AM
    Im 18 years old and don't have the money to pay for an extra 30 dollar a month data plan but like the features of the Blackberry, whats wrong with that?
    07-29-08 10:00 AM
    Actually, the stupidest thing is acting like an elitist and making ignorant comments like that

You can actually do a number of things on your Berry without a data plan. Obviously, it cripples your Berry and does not open up all of its potential functionality... but I have experimented on my 8320 with no data plan.

I have WiFi functionality on my Berry and there are a number of apps that use WiFi only (no need for data). The only thing I recommend is an email addon if you go the route of no data plan and primarily use WiFi.

For Berries without WiFi, it is pointless to have no data at all
    07-29-08 10:03 AM

Actually, the stupidest thing is acting like an elitist and making ignorant comments like that
    Thank you!!!
    07-29-08 10:40 AM
    I agree with the abv post, this is a friendly forum, and as far as buying a BB wih out the data plan, **** if mine had wi-fi I might have done it. I was running a 8525 (htc) for almost a year with out a data plan, I swear my whole town is a hot spot and never really ran into issues.
    07-29-08 05:13 PM

You can actually do a number of things on your Berry without a data plan. Obviously, it cripples your Berry and does not open up all of its potential functionality... but I have experimented on my 8320 with no data plan.

I have WiFi functionality on my Berry and there are a number of apps that use WiFi only (no need for data). The only thing I recommend is an email addon if you go the route of no data plan and primarily use WiFi.

For Berries without WiFi, it is pointless to have no data at all
    nice contradiction.

And, um, what i meant in my previous post is exactly what you just said. It's pointless to have a blackberry without a data plan. Especially one with no wi-fi.
    07-29-08 06:56 PM
    nice contradiction.

And, um, what i meant in my previous post is exactly what you just said. It's pointless to have a blackberry without a data plan. Especially one with no wi-fi.
    No it is not pointless. If the purchaser likes the phone, no one not even you,
    should tell them not to get it. Even without data, even without Wi-Fi it
    is still an great phone. Enough with the data plan "pimping"

I have data because I need it. I will never look down on, or call someone
    stupid because they elect not to have it. But then again I have a sense
    I may be a bit more mature and realistic than you.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-29-08 at 07:04 PM.
    07-29-08 07:01 PM
    well i would suggest any1 that has just a normal data plan (non BIS/BES) to check out http://forums.crackberry.com/f73/tips-tricks-rogers-17043/ It is from the Rogers service provider subforum, but I found out that everything in that post can be done on sprint bb that only have power vision data plan. There are good instructions and links to files in that post. I suggest everyone to check it out if you would like to maximize ur bb w/ only power vision data plan.
    07-30-08 12:08 PM
    I didn't call him stupid.

No it is not pointless. If the purchaser likes the phone, no one not even you,
    should tell them not to get it. Even without data, even without Wi-Fi it
    is still an great phone. Enough with the data plan "pimping"

I have data because I need it. I will never be a normal human being, because i keep making a fool of myself with using big words that my teacher taught me. because i think I own of the forum. But then again I have a sense I may be more basic minded and lower than you.
    Ah, there. Fix'd.
    07-31-08 10:48 AM
    And hey, chill out. I'm entitled to my own opinion, ...
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 11-20-08 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Rude comment
    07-31-08 10:51 AM
    Exactly what was asked not to do~ this comment offers no value to the people who feel THEY dont need a BB plan.
    07-31-08 10:57 AM
    It's kind of funny that you guys are arguing over a post that's 2 months old. I'm sure that OP realized his mistake when he got his first bill, and he probably has a data plan now.

But....for those who missed the obvious, look at his desired app list. With the possible exception of GPSed (excluded only because I don't know what it does), ALL of his other desired apps use data. Without a data plan, OP and others like are going to rack up a rather large bill.

FWIW, my app list looks a lot like OP's, and I'm up to 315mb of data usage right now....and I still have 10 days to go in my billing cycle.
    07-31-08 12:15 PM
    For me, the killer app is my Wifi Browser.

I have installed MobiPocket Reader, no connection issues at all.
    I have a 8320 with no Data Plan. I installed MobiPocket via OTA, but every time I try to do something it tries to connect to their website (it seems like it).
    I already have the books that I want to read on my SD card.
    Do I need to have a data plan to activate it?
    Am I doing something wrong?
    11-20-08 09:51 AM
    I am surprised you were able to do a OTA install.

If the connection fault bothers you, try the PC install. Download and install the PC version of MobiPocket reader. Connect your BlackBerry and let it install the device software.

11-20-08 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";