Ok so i have scoured the forums and i can't get any answers...

Heres what i have and heres what i need...

I have a VZW BB curve 8330 (ver. 4.5.0.77) with an 8gb card and on the card i store all my music, photos, and most importantly-my documents for work... When i plug my BB into whatever computer i am on (USB cable) i am able to access my media card like an external hard drive and in the "My Computer" file (Windows xp Service pack 3) It assigns a drive letter (Drive E:) to my curve. With this set up i can access all my files, editing, saving, creating and deleting as i choose... In my line of work, having to jump from computer to computer with all my files is important...

So anyways i go to the local Best Buy and and buy a RocketFish 2.0 USB dongle. I ask the guy, "So, will i be able to access my SD card just as if it were plugged in with the USB cable?" and he replied "of course..." as if i was technologically stupid...

so i get it home i first try the rocketfish software and it pairs beautifully but nothing... no access from the laptop to the BB only from BB to laptop which is backwards of what i need, then i read up on crackberry how i need to uninstall the 3rd party software and install the microsoft bluetooth drivers, so i do, and still nothing... so heres what i need PLEASE!!!

I need to be able to (via bluetooth) access my BB as mass storage like it does with the USB cable... i don't care about desktop manager sync or anything just to access my files, all other options would just be a plus...

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!!!!
    10-09-08 05:14 PM
    I was wondering this exact same thing and hoping I could access my storage card via BT just like when I am connected with the USB cable. I am hoping someone can clue us in on if this is even possible....
    10-09-08 06:25 PM
    This has to be possible... we put freakin men on the moon... we can see galaxies away, we can clone a living being.... But replacing a USB cable with a BT signal is impossible? its all gotta be just a matter of interface... i dunno, I'm no tech-ie here...
    10-09-08 11:13 PM
    This has to be possible... we put freakin men on the moon... we can see galaxies away, we can clone a living being.... But replacing a USB cable with a BT signal is impossible? its all gotta be just a matter of interface... i dunno, I'm no tech-ie here...
    Should be possible but don't know if it IS or HOW?!
    10-10-08 03:35 AM
    Check your User Guide. I have the 8830. Your results might be slightly different, but I doubt it. This is what I found:

About transferring media files
    You can connect your BlackBerry device to your computer to transfer files between your device and your computer, or you can use Bluetooth technology to send media files to or receive media files from a Bluetooth enabled device.
    If you connect your device to your computer, you can transfer files between your media card and your computer using mass storage mode, or you can transfer media files between your device and your computer using the media manager tool of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. For more information about using the media manager tool, see the Media Manager Online Help.

If you turn on media card encryption and you transfer files to your media card using mass storage mode or Bluetooth technology, your device does not encrypt the transferred files. If you transfer encrypted files from your media card using mass storage mode or Bluetooth technology, you cannot decrypt the files on your computer or on a Bluetooth enabled device.

Transfer a file between your device and your computer using the media manager tool
    1. Connect your BlackBerry device to your computer.
    2. On your computer, open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    3. Double-click Media Manager.
    4. Drag a file or folder from one location to another.
    For more information about using the media manager tool, see the Media Manager Online Help.

Transfer a file between your device and your computer in mass storage mode
    Verify that mass storage mode is turned on.
    1. Connect your BlackBerry device to your computer.
    2. On your computer, double-click My Computer.
    3. In the Devices with Removable Storage section, click Removable Disk.
    4. Drag a file from one location to another.
    To exit mass storage mode, disconnect your device from your computer.

Send a media file using Bluetooth technology
    Verify that Bluetooth technology is turned on and that your BlackBerry device is paired with a Bluetooth enabled device.
    1. In the media application, click a media type.
    2. Click a category.
    3. Highlight a media file.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Click Send Using Bluetooth.
    6. Click a Bluetooth enabled device.
    7. Click Send.

Receive a media file using Bluetooth technology
    Verify that Bluetooth technology is turned on and that your BlackBerry device is paired with a Bluetooth enabled device.
    1. In the media application, click a media type.
    2. Press the Menu key.
    3. Click Receive Using Bluetooth.
    4. Click Yes.
    5. Click Save.

Based on this, it appears that you can only use Bluetooth to transfer Media files, and not in Mass Storage Mode. I can't get Bluetooth to work with my laptop at all, so I haven't tried it. Check your User Guide and see if you have any different options.
    10-10-08 10:17 AM
    Thanks for the info' JeffH much aprecciated!
    10-10-08 02:11 PM
    Thanx Jeff... yeah that sux... I wish there was some type of something that would provide the same funcionality over bluetooth that is provided with the USB cable
    10-10-08 04:09 PM
    I'm trying to do the same with my pearl, however it keeps telling me "this device does not have the necessary services". it works for USB transfer (athough it runs at 2-3 mbs, which is ridiculous, but.. at least it works). I have it tethered and runs great like that (athough it wont tether through USB, only trough bluetooth...)
    I'm on mac OSX 10.5.4
    any ideas?
    10-12-08 05:13 AM
    I'm trying to do the same thing on my HP laptop, but I've also come to the conclusion that it's only possible with media files. I can't imagine why RIM, making business-oriented devices like our Blackberries, would neglect a seemingly fundamental ability like mass storage mode transfer via bluetooth. Makes no sense.

Are there any 3rd party software that could suffice as a workaround?
    12-09-08 03:56 PM
    ... I can't imagine why RIM, making business-oriented devices like our Blackberries, would neglect a seemingly fundamental ability like mass storage mode transfer via bluetooth. Makes no sense.

Are there any 3rd party software that could suffice as a workaround?
    The answer is probably that mass storage mode transfer via bluetooth isn't a fundamental business capability, it's a neat trick for BlackBerry Geeks. The only fundamental business use for Bluetooth is wireless headsets. That's just my opinion; you may disagree.

My opinion is probably influenced by my employer. Bluetooth is disabled on our laptops because it's seen as a security vulnerability.
    12-09-08 11:27 PM
    Ah, yet another bb geek who's already got wireless sync and tether figured, and wants MORE. I have found this post!

Yes, I too have scoured the threads, made some calls, and am actively looking into this as well as video streaming over blue tooth which there are papers on. If its possible I find out how, and if its not yet, then I will put a request out for a jailbreak solution. But I think it is.

If they can hack an iphone into a bluetooth tether when both Apple and ATT did their best to prevent it, someone (maybe me) will figure this out. And yes, not because its a valid business function, but as bluetooth has evolved from 1.0 to 2.0 and now even some faster 2.0 dongles like my Vakoss is 3Mb/s, thats three times as fast as EVDO and we transfer files across that daily so its a reasonable and fully functional desire to have. Not a need, but certainly useful and quick enought for small file maintenance and transfer.

I think the main reason that windows XP rejects an attempt at creating a PAN thru any client on berry over bluetooth is that the transport layer has been deactivated for "security reasons". But its there in specification. That means we can hack it, because the default function is there but just removed. If it were the other way around, it would be much different.

I also think that a VPN client or tweek or replacement of the SyncML transport function is our answer to getting the PAN or Ad-hock to fly. Because it is a transport that is device and OS independant, open platform, and fully connective in a lot of ways.

Any BBgeeks that are college students want a challenging project, put away your plazmic SDK and get on this project an do something useful for us with your addiction. This is it. We challenge you!

LET US MOUNT THE MEDIA CARD OVER BLUETOOTH!!! Really it doesn't seem too much to ask.

Low speed USB is 12Mb/s and high speed is waaaay faster at 480Mb/s. Assuming that the device uses low speed USB mode in file transfer to the media card (I have no idea but my PTtrace.log shows both a slow and a fast mode in sync contacts), that would only be 3 to 6 times slower, even at 2.1 Mb/s

Good reading BELOW. Someone will get us a solution.
    http://www.bluetooth.com/NR/rdonlyre...0/0/SyncML.pdf
    04-16-09 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD