In order for BlackBerry's marketing to be successful, they need to do something off the wall. Something that'll stick and get people talking. They should create a new unique TV campaign starring none other than BlackBerry's CEO Mr. Thorsten Heins.

Thorsten Heins, you ask? Why? He's awkward. Not overly charismatic. A little geeky. But a super nice guy. Likeable. Funny, even.

Perfect!!

Picture this: TH sitting on the edge of a desk against a plain background, BlackBerry Z10 in hand. He describes some of the unique features of the OS, such as gestures. "See, you swipe up when you're done. Isn't that neat?". Next frame, he's clapping (like he did often during the launch). The ad ends with the words BlackBerry Z10/Q10 superimposed in white near the middle of the frame. No background music during the ad's entirety.

One ad, he would describe gestures. Another one, the hub. Another, flick typing. All with plain, dry humor. Simple and to the point in a very endearing way.
    07-09-13 12:43 AM
    Birdman, I like your ideas tonight! This one, coupled with the Netflix BB10 campaign
    07-09-13 01:00 AM
    I think it's a great idea. They need something different than the competition...and everyone live Thor...well....except share holders, but they don't like anyone.

Posted via the best Keyboard in Existence my Mo Fo Z10
    07-09-13 01:03 AM
    I like it, but is there really a marketing team for BlackBerry? Anyway it would be nice to see something different (but to see if at all!)

Posted via my z10 - BBM channel pin C000F331C
    07-09-13 01:12 AM
    Great idea, and he could be starring in the same ad talking in german. 170 million more people to address.
    07-09-13 01:15 AM
    Don't forget while showing off bb10 on a playbook

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    araskin likes this.
    07-09-13 01:32 AM
    That would be a cool way for BlackBerry, as TH puts it, to penetrate the market.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 01:50 AM
    Eh...I don't think those will catch anyone's eye. Yeah, to us they would be cool because we know who Thorsten Heins is. But to just an average everyday Joe, it's boring and a bit lame if you ask me.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-09-13 08:00 AM
    Ohhhh, I just thought of a better idea. What about putting Vivek into the commercial instead of Thorsten???

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 08:03 AM
    And BlackBerry being a geeky phone for business users only will be forever engraved in potential customers' minds!

I suggest to capture the young generation's attention, do something hilarous.

Show a guy playing a game (something popular).
    *chime*
    Show over shoulder view of the guy just doing the hub gesture (which hopefully pauses the game...)
    The message was from his girlfriend/wife about how he needs to bring milk home...
    The guy immediately gets back to the game instead of replying :P

*chime*
    This time, the message is something funny like "babe, we need to talk"
    the guy immediately goes to the hub and BBMs frantically, "why? what happened?!!"

Thoughts?
    07-09-13 08:05 AM
    Then a couple of months later, add a variation to the same ad:

Show a guy playing a game (something popular).
    *chime*
    Show over shoulder view of the guy just doing the hub gesture (which hopefully pauses the game...)
    The message was from his girlfriend/wife about how he needs to bring some brocolli...
    The guy immediately gets back to the game instead of replying!

*chime*
    This time, the message is something like "babe, it's over"
    the guy immediately goes to the hub and BBMs frantically, "why? what happened?!!"
    the girl replies "the milk is over :P "
    07-09-13 08:14 AM
    One ad, he would describe gestures. Another one, the hub. Another, flick typing. All with plain, dry humor. Simple and to the point in a very endearing way.
    Yeah that would be sexy...and then in a related campaign, a series of Victoria's Secret commercials where Arnold schwarzenegger just sits in a chair and reads catalog descriptions of women's wear....VERY HOT *rolls eyes*
    Folks....in the US there's an old sales saying that BlackBerry (and apparently quite a few CBers) just don't get: You don't sell the steak....you sell the sizzle

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-09-13 08:57 AM
    Eh...I don't think those will catch anyone's eye. Yeah, to us they would be cool because we know who Thorsten Heins is. But to just an average everyday Joe, it's boring and a bit lame if you ask me.
    That's the beauty of it. The viewer might think, "That's it?". But I bet when they see it in a store they'll try the same things they saw in the ads. BlackBerry would have to create it in a way that puts a smile on the viewers face.
    07-09-13 09:09 AM
    That's the beauty of it. The viewer might think, "That's it?". But I bet when they see it in a store they'll try the same things they saw in the ads. BlackBerry would have to create it in a way that puts a smile on the viewers face.
    OR it will make people think: That's all BlackBerry is limping to the barn with? People judge a brand and buy based on the quality of the marketing.
    07-09-13 09:13 AM
    Folks....in the US there's an old sales saying that BlackBerry (and apparently quite a few CBers) just don't get: You don't sell the steak....you sell the sizzle
    BlackBerry tried that (although not well) along with every other smartphone manufacturer. They need to try a new strategy and stand out.
    07-09-13 09:16 AM
    BlackBerry tried that (although not well) along with every other smartphone manufacturer. They need to stand out.
    When have they ever tried that?
    07-09-13 09:18 AM
    In order for BlackBerry's marketing to be successful, they need to do something off the wall. Something that'll stick and get people talking. They should create a new unique TV campaign starring none other than BlackBerry's CEO Mr. Thorsten Heins.
    Somehow I do not think a nerdy, buttoned down, 55y/o man who sounds almost like a used car salesman is going to help push the image of BlackBerry as a "cutting edge", must have device.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-09-13 10:47 AM
    Sounds familiar...lol Pretty common method. Dominos, Papa Johns, Sprint, GM has done it, etc. It could work if done right and actually demonstrated BB10/QNX.
    Last edited by donmateo; 07-09-13 at 11:05 AM.
    07-09-13 10:52 AM
    When have they ever tried that?
    BlackBerry needs to sell to young generation ~20 year olds. I know for a fact that if I didn't know him, I would most definitely just laugh at how bad he is at presenting information.

BlackBerry shouldn't air an awkward CEO commercial because it will do nothing except consolidate the pseudo-fact that BlackBerrys are for old people.

You need something hilarious, or something that can get "Oh my god, they did not just do that" reaction (in a good way). See my post above.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-09-13 10:53 AM
    Somehow I do not think a nerdy, buttoned down, 55y/o man who sounds almost like a used car salesman is going to help push the image of BlackBerry as a "cutting edge", must have device.
    I like the used car salesman part hahah
    07-09-13 10:56 AM
    OR it will make people think: That's all BlackBerry is limping to the barn with? People judge a brand and buy based on the quality of the marketing.
    Indeed. Very very risky, could end up hurting the brand and falling as flat As Seinfeld and gates! I would have to actually see Heins do it to see if its working or not. Having said that, this has far more potential than anything bb has actually done - which.. Admittedly isn't saying much. But it's a good idea and would be worth a try. Frankly even if it misfired the brand really can't be hurt much anyways!
    07-09-13 10:58 AM
    BlackBerry needs to sell to young generation ~20 year olds. I know for a fact that if I didn't know him, I would most definitely just laugh at how bad he is at presenting information.

BlackBerry shouldn't air an awkward CEO commercial because it will do nothing except consolidate the pseudo-fact that BlackBerrys are for old people.

You need something hilarious, or something that can get "Oh my god, they did not just do that" reaction (in a good way). See my post above.
    I don't think that he is bad at presenting information, but I just don't think that he should be the one out there selling the BlackBerry brand. Leave that to a celebrity.
    07-09-13 11:01 AM
    I think its a terrible idea. Doesn't work for Sprint and Thorsten has about as much charisma as the lamp on my desk.
    07-09-13 11:07 AM
    I think its a terrible idea. Doesn't work for Sprint and Thorsten has about as much charisma as the lamp on my desk.
    This exactly.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 11:11 AM
    All they need to do is connect emotionally with people using the phone in realistic situations, but with humor and levity. Enough with art.

Sent from my sexy Z10 in Sin City ;-)
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-09-13 11:15 AM
46 12