I just downloaded google maps... Great application!! Should i delete the blackberry maps that came with my 8330 to free up space??
    06-08-08 02:56 PM
    I just downloaded google maps... Great application!! Should i delete the blackberry maps that came with my 8330 to free up space??
    If you are not going to be using it, absolutely.
    06-08-08 02:57 PM
    I see you have a Verizon phone. That means you can't use the internal GPS. Verizon only allows you to use that with their $10/month VZNav service. Which some people say is pretty good, by the way. I haven't used it and have no opinion.

If you want to use a GPS with your maps, you'll have to buy an external bluetooth GPS puck, such as the Freedom Keychain 2000, available from the Crackberry store. This puck requires a heartbeat signal from the blackberry for it to remain active. It's a battery-saving feature. If the puck thinks the blackberry isn't using it anymore, it shuts down. Unfortunately, Google Maps does not provide this heartbeat signal. For that, you have to have BBMaps or GPSed. Here's how it works: You turn the GPS on, let it acquire the constellation, click the Start GPS function in BBMaps, then exit BBMaps, leaving it running in the background, and you can use Google Maps. So you may want to keep BBMaps on your device.

One more thing: Google Maps are undeniably prettier, but BBMaps gives you the option of "North UP" or "Direction of Travel UP." Google only gives you "North UP."

Just a few things to consider.
    06-08-08 09:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD