I've been a loyal user of MapQuest Navigator 5 for 2 years - over the past couple months, it doesn't seem to work anymore. It times out when checking traffic or downloading routes. Is anybody else still using this?

I'm pretty pissed - I bought this annually and don't know of a suitable replacement application.
    08-31-11 04:48 PM
    What OS version are you using? Tried a battery pull? It might not work with OS 7 if you're using a 9900/9930.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 07:37 PM
    I'm on OS 5 on a 8900 curve. It has always worked before. Not quite sure why it suddenly stopped working!
    08-31-11 07:47 PM
    Try removing it, then do a battery pull, then re-download it. It could just be a bug.

08-31-11 08:02 PM
    I've been having same issue. Restarts don't help and can't find the original SW to reload. Any luck so far?
    09-05-11 09:47 AM
    I've been having same issue. Restarts don't help and can't find the original SW to reload. Any luck so far?
    Could it be discontinued? Try googling it with OTA in the search box.

09-05-11 09:49 AM
    No luck - IMHO, this is the best GPS app available for BB. I'm pissed it's not working.
    09-06-11 11:13 AM
    Could it be discontinued? Try googling it with OTA in the search box.

I did that - the website doesn't seem to work anymore so maybe you're right? mapquestdtc.telmap.com/ota

I tried the new Mapquest mobile 4 - what a piece of dog$hit. The iPhone version does turn by turn but the blackberry version is like a poor man's google maps. How expensive was it for mapquest to continue the navigator service????
    09-06-11 11:15 AM
    Bummer, sorry to hear that it no longer works!

I used to use Gsrmin for audible turn by turn on my Tour. Here is a review. I'm sure there is a newer version available.

I wish RIM would make an audible turn by turn within BlackBerry Maps!

Review: Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry Smartphones | CrackBerry.com
    09-06-11 11:21 AM
    Bummer, sorry to hear that it no longer works!

I used to use Gsrmin for audible turn by turn on my Tour. Here is a review. I'm sure there is a newer version available.

I wish RIM would make an audible turn by turn within BlackBerry Maps!

Review: Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry Smartphones | CrackBerry.com
    I tried Garmin for a week - it's garbage as well. As soon as you miss a turn, it needs to redownload the entire map set. MQ Navigator atleast downloaded the desired route, and surrounding roads, so it wouldn't need to redownload if you missed a couple turns.
    09-06-11 11:24 AM
    Both Garmin Mobile and VZ Navigator re-routed me within seconds. You need cell signal though.

Not sure what you mean by downloading the entire map set.
    09-06-11 11:31 AM
    I tried Garmin for a week - it's garbage as well. As soon as you miss a turn, it needs to redownload the entire map set. MQ Navigator atleast downloaded the desired route, and surrounding roads, so it wouldn't need to redownload if you missed a couple turns.
    Not sure which version of Garmin you tried, or maybe it's your device. I never ran it on my 9000 on OS 5 -- there were free turn by turn voice nav options like AmAze and Gokivo back then -- but Garmin Mobile totally rocked on my 9800. None of the downloading delays you speak of -- it acted just like the standalone Garmin. I'm waiting patiently for the OS 7 version, which s/b out shortly according to Garmin.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-06-11 11:33 AM
    Both Garmin Mobile and VZ Navigator re-routed me within seconds. You need cell signal though.

Not sure what you mean by downloading the entire map set.
    Exactly - if you don't have cell signal, it can't reroute you because it can't download the "mapset".

With MQ Navigator, it would download your route PLUS the surrounding roads in case you took a wrong turn (IE: the mapset). After the initial download, you could literally turn off your mobile network connection and it would still work and be fine if you took a wrong turn. Makes a difference....especially when you're driving through areas with spotty coverage.
    09-06-11 11:43 AM
    I've never been through an area with extended signal loss. In that case I would be more likely to rely on paper maps and my handheld Garmin GPS with topo maps.
    09-06-11 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD